- Written patterns or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: - Written patterns or not

I generally cut enough to get started and build my blocks from those pieces. Then I have a "Oh crap" moment when I have to stop sewing and go cut some more, but how much cutting can a body really stand? Also, this system does keep me from sitting too long. A plus I guess. A lot of times I work without a pattern and off what I've seen on a video. Sometimes I keep the video up on my computer for replay when needed. I have worked off patterns too. It just all depends, but I never cut enough pieces for the whole quilt.
    Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

I guess I am a little OCD, I like cutting everything out, counting it into litttle stacks and seeing everything ready to sew together. I have been lucky that I haven't encountered too many wrong patterns.
      I do like the videos and have finally gotten enough experience to look at some quilt pictures and figure out how to make them. I do also graph some things out so I can make them my size rather than what the pattern says.

Comment

Claire, we seem to be in the minority. Those little stacks are so reassuring to me I think because I always fear there won't be enough fabric.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

I like cutting out all the pieces because then I can chain piece. I have learned to make a test block or 3 before I do all the cutting; though.

Comment

Reading through these posts, I'm thinking I might try to mix it up and not do all the cutting, then all of step 1 or 2, etc., in one go. Maybe I'd feel more motivated if I was producing finished blocks earlier in the process.

If a technique is new to me, like curved piecing, I've done a test block with scrap fabric first. Otherwise, I'm very methodical and read the pattern over a few times before selecting and pressing my yardage, cutting, sorting pieces, and so on. I love to get lost in an audiobook or podcast while I'm chain piecing or pressing a huge stack of blocks.

Comment

Working...
            X