Too many quilting ideas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many quilting ideas!

I have promised myself no more new projects til I finish UFOs. I'm ashamed to admit I probably have 20 quilts cut and started. 5 that need applique tacted down and 20 separate quilts that are ready for the long arm (I have a sit down so basting has held me up)....I hope others have the same story! Seriously though I'm going to finish them this year. Anyone else start quilts then see a new one and start another? Thanks for reading

Re: Too many quilting ideas!

Oh I tried that and I didn't like it. When I start one, I have to finish it even if I hate it. Nose to the grindstone and all that. Sometimes I have an idea and I go over and pull out fabric and books and get all excited but that motivates me to finish the one I'm working on so I can start another one.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

I hear ya. I have the same condition, see a video or a post and want to start a new project. What i have learned is to make one or two blocks, four at most to get an idea of wht the whole quilt will look like. By doing this I can satisfy the urge and really decide if i want to really make the whole quilt or even try new colors.
      So i still have a few (I won't say how many) UFO's but not as many as I would.
      Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

I do the same thing however, when I am making garments, I ALWAYS finish them. I think it is strange how I have gotten into this nasty little habit of seeing something I love, and then I start it, and well.....I have 8 UFO's presently.
        ( AND DO TO being ill for months on end.....well, of course the UFO's are staring me in the face each time I go to my CRAFT room!...)

LOL....Glad to know I am not alone in this!
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Thanks ladies and funny about garments, I always finish those lol go figure

Comment

I finished four in the last couple of weeks. Gave myself permission to start a new one even though there are still many more UFOs waiting.

Comment

Oh, I have soooo many UFOs. I won't even confess to how many. I, too, see a new quilt pattern & want to try it, but usually I end up making the whole quilt top. I have many finished quilt tops just waiting to be sandwiched & quilted. The very first Jenny tutorial that I made was the Diamond Rail Fence, which I made from FQs in my stash. It turned out great ... but it's still waiting to be quilted! I have enough Friendship Star quilt blocks made for a large top, but they are not yet sewn together into the rows. I started a King's Crown (Donna Jordan's tutorial) but had to set it aside to meet deadlines for baby quilts for showers at church. Then I had carpal tunnel surgery in Jan. so all sewing/quilting came to a screeching halt. I'm just getting back at it the past month or so.

I wouldn't be concerned about UFOs. Just keep plugging along. They eventually will get done. I've been trying to discipline myself to quilt at least one before starting anything new, & alternate between piecing & quilting. Just enjoy the journey.

Comment

Think of it this way, it's easier to store unquilted tops, saves space and then when you need one you can finish it in a jiffy. Makes a good story anyway!
                sigpic

Comment

If I'm inspired by a pattern or fabric, I usually start a new project regardless of how many UFOs I already have. I free up the cutting mat and machine, and away I go!

A lot of my PHDs are simmering in artbins because I've reached some choke point like needing a big space and lots of uninterrupted time to do things like auditioning blocks in different layouts or basting a quilt sandwich. Sometimes I have to tell myself "just do it!" to get past my laziness about those things so I can move on to the parts I enjoy, like FMQ and hand finishing the binding.

Comment

I have a stack of finished tops ( embarrassed to say how many) on the bed in my quest room all they need is to be quilted. I have table runners that all they need is the binding. The two block of the month quilt tops that I finished are laying on the pool table.

When I first started quilting I would limit myself to 3 projects started at a time, that lasted about a year. All these unfinished quilts are actually what I am working on now. I keep buying fabric, its like a disease.

Comment

I am hand quilting a double size Hawaiian Quilt, also have a wallhanging, and 3 more to finish hand applique. About 6 pieced tops that have to be quilted on my Sweet 16. And still more ideas floating around in my head. Welcome to my world.

Comment

The plethora is unbelievable! These are just some of the projects I need to sandwich and quilt...it does not include what I need to finish piecing!
                        Stephens quilt 1.jpg
                        2-DCF1AEEB-975521-800.jpg
                        Lisas quilt 1.jpg
                        weeds curved log cabin .jpg
                        weeds curved log cabin .jpg
                        Modern Courthouse Steps Feather 1 (704x800).jpg
                        Friendship Circle enlarged 36X36 12.2018 (800x689).jpg
                        Mod Block Hello Love 04.2019 (673x800).jpg
                        NQC 2016 Quilt.jpg
                        Moda Love Family Tree pieced 02.2019 (800x707).jpg
                        NQC Mystery Quilt Challenge 2018 Lap size top completed 11.24.18 (800x674).jpg
                        There are so many more.........UGH!
                        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I have several tops made that need to be quilted. One of these days........
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I was just discussing this with DH this morning. I don't have a top waiting for quilting but I do have 4 things in progress. I might even get one top together today, maybe tomorrow.
                            I have one in progress that I usually take to sew days but I threw it under the bus and started something new last week. I also cut out the quilt from last week's video but didn't get any further.
                            I have slips of paper written with my planned projects in a drawer and pull one out when I am ready to start something new and I try to adhere to that but sometimes get distracted by the new shiny pattern or fabric.

Comment

Sherri, if you want a home for A-N-Y of those beauties, well, just let me know! LOLOL

Gina

Comment

Working...
                              X