• Show
Clear All

Make a "Tilted Nine Patch" Quilt with Jenny Doan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpba9DtIKEw

Enjoy !
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Re: Make a "Tilted Nine Patch" Quilt with Jenny Doan

I like this one! If you used an accent color for the HSTs outside the 9patch, it would emphasize the medallion and diamond shapes in the background. Lots of fun possibilities for FMQ. I think I'd add a small inner border of the background fabric.

Comment

When she said it was a mistake, I was wondering what she was trying to do...maybe another new tutorial coming up.
      Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I like the block when the center and the geese match or all dark. It makes more sense to my brain that way. Nice block.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I really like the pattern as shown on the video. Like the colors
          she used too. I would make sure there were no lights on the outside
          edges as you lose the pattern and it looks messy or wonky.

Comment

Bubby, Laura, great points about the color placement! I've got a purple batik jelly roll that will be perfect for this pattern...just as soon as I finish some UFOs first

Someone from the Youtube comments made a time-saving observation:
            "There would be less cutting if the left wing of your geese were cut 4-1/2". Then you're not sewing on the 2-1/2" square. Then the right wing on 1/2 of your units is 6-1/2" and 2-1/2" on the rest. Fewer seams, less cutting."
            Last edited by The_Last_Unicorn; April 19, 2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
              Bubby, Laura, great points about the color placement! I've got a purple batik jelly roll that will be perfect for this pattern...just as soon as I finish some UFOs first

Someone from the Youtube comments made a time-saving observation:
              "There would be less cutting if the left wing of your geese were cut 4-1/2". Then you're not sewing on the 2-1/2" square. Then the right wing on 1/2 of your units is 6-1/2" and 2-1/2" on the rest. Fewer seams, less cutting."
              I'm trying to figure this out. I don't know what they mean by that. You couldn't do that because your wing would stand up and not lay flat out to the side. Or am I not thinking right?

Comment

I'm picturing that the wing would be perpendicular to the goose when you piece it through the machine. When you trim the corner and flip the wing, it'll be a regular flying geese unit with a longer wing on one side. It would be like joining strips to make binding.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
                  I'm picturing that the wing would be perpendicular to the goose when you piece it through the machine. When you trim the corner and flip the wing, it'll be a regular flying geese unit with a longer wing on one side. It would be like joining strips to make binding.
                  I thought about this post in my sleep last night and it finally made sense to me. I don't know what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                  X