Make a "Rick Rack" Quilt with Jenny Doan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Make a "Rick Rack" Quilt with Jenny Doan

I like this one but, again, I think she could have picked some nicer looking fabric because really she has a whole wide world of fabric right there for the picking, for free lol! Shermur I like your block alot better than Jenny's!!
    Last edited by jjkaiser; March 22, 2019, 10:37 PM.

Comment

With all of the ways you can place log cabin blocks, I think I would choose a different layout
      Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
        I watched the tutorial. Then I clicked on the PDF. It is worthless. I was hoping it would have measurements in writing for the strips so I could take it to the sewing room and perhaps a diagram of the block. But, it doesn't unless I'm missing something.
        You are right, I printed it out then watched the video again. I paused it when necessary and made notes on my print out. I also wrote the date on it so if I decide to use the pattern I can easily find the video again.

Comment

I would have liked her to lay out the blocks in a few different ways, to show us the various ways it could look. I apparently can't make that switch in my brain. After all, I'm from Missouri. You have to "show me." But I like the overall look of the quilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
            I would have liked her to lay out the blocks in a few different ways, to show us the various ways it could look. I apparently can't make that switch in my brain. After all, I'm from Missouri. You have to "show me." But I like the overall look of the quilt.
            Check out Donna Jordan's layouts with log cabin quilts, to give you some ideas of how different layout would work.
            Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
            ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Here is the first 4 block quadrant.....with a difference in layout.....

MO Star Rick Rack Blue 1 (800x744).jpg

MO Star Rick Rack Blue 2 (800x731).jpg
              Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

So, Joy, I do have a printer and when I clicked on the pdf it only gave me the yardage and materials I would need. No pattern or measurements. Am I not seeing something . I didn't bother to print it because I didn't see any information there.
                Originally posted by JCY View Post
                Terry ~ If I'm interested in one of Jenny's tuts, I print off the PDF first, so I can take notes while I watch. I pause & watch as needed to get everything written down. More recently, I've been using the Snip-it tool to get a picture of the block diagram, which I print out on a Word doc. You can make the block a larger size & put measurements & notes on that page, too. If I hadn't done that with the Antique Lace block, I never would have got the pieces properly placed. Do you have a printer? Do you have the Snip-it tool? It's a free download.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

Terry ~ For one block using jelly roll strips, pair a colored/print strip with a background strip and cut 6- 2 1/2" squares first to make the five HST and the 2 solid squares for the 4 patch. Then cut one 4.5, 6.5, & 8.5" segment from those strips.
                  In the pic below, the strips are 2.5" wide and there are 5 on each side.
                  [(Width of strip - 1/2") x 5] + 1/2" = size of unfinished block
                  [(2.5 - 1/2") x 5] + 1/2" = (2 x 5) + 1/2" = 10.5" unfinished block.
                  The length of the strip segments is determined by the width of the strip in order to have a square block.

Rick Rack Block.JPG
                  --#1---2---3----4---5

Hope this is helpful to you.

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                  I watched the tutorial. Then I clicked on the PDF. It is worthless. I was hoping it would have measurements in writing for the strips so I could take it to the sewing room and perhaps a diagram of the block. But, it doesn't unless I'm missing something.
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I wanted in writing. I will work on this soon with all those left over jelly roll strips that are still in the box.
                    Originally posted by MRoy View Post
                    Terry ~ For one block using jelly roll strips, pair a colored/print strip with a background strip and cut 6- 2 1/2" squares first to make the five HST and the 2 solid squares for the 4 patch. Then cut one 4.5, 6.5, & 8.5" segment from those strips.
                    In the pic below, the strips are 2.5" wide and there are 5 on each side.
                    [(Width of strip - 1/2") x 5] + 1/2" = size of unfinished block
                    [(2.5 - 1/2") x 5] + 1/2" = (2 x 5) + 1/2" = 10.5" unfinished block.
                    The length of the strip segments is determined by the width of the strip in order to have a square block.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]158302[/ATTACH]
                    --#1---2---3----4---5

Hope this is helpful to you.
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

I'm cutting it out now. I made a trial block, and had a heck of a time getting the HST facing in the correct position, but I'm thinking if I make another block it will be easier. Can't wait to get sewing on it.
                      Thanks to all for your ideas.

Comment

Working...
                      X