Nervous about Quilting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous about Quilting...

Recently I finished my Deer Window Pane quilt and I'd love to quilt it myself because I want a very wide open meandering pattern. I'm just really nervous. I think I picked a great backing (antlers)...it's going to hide any mistakes, and actually so will the front.

I think I'm looking for moral support here.

Any tips...hints...helps...

20190119_160345.jpg2019-01-30_13-48-33.jpg

Re: Nervous about Quilting...

Just go for it! Practice your movements by drawing with a dry erase board and marker. Your first few movements may not be perfect, but you will get into a flow. If you aren't opposed to it, use Angela Walters method for a relaxed quilting session, a nice glass of wine! Good choice of backing!

Comment

Thanks. I just don't want to ruin it. Yeah...wine is a good idea.

Comment

You could make a couple of small practice squares with scrap fabrics and batting to practice after you figure out your design.
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Go for it. Its not that hard and your backing will hide it. Just hold on tight with your hands spread wide and go. I always had a montra that I would say as I made sweeping circles, "swoop, swoop, wider, swoop" Seemed to help me keep time with my feet and my hands.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

You could do wood grain on the wood part:
            http://theinboxjaunt.com/2014/11/18/...uilt-tutorial/

Then do wavy lines in a grid (like one inch) on the window/deer part. I do a wavy line instead of a straight line because if I mess up it won't be so obvious!
            Vonnie

Comment

Whatever you quilt, it will be lovely. Your backing is perfect. It was once suggested to buy busy backings, they are very forgiving.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. It is just thread and fabric. There is no possible way to ruin it. It will be charmingly and uniquely you.

Take and deep breathe and begin. You can do this.
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

That looks very interesting. Can't wait to see the results.

Comment

Thanks everyone...I'm going to go for it...as it was pointed out...it's only fabric and thread!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Comment

Wait! Before you start, do you have quilting gloves, like Machingers? They really really help a lot, and help keep your shoulders and arms from getting so worn out.

Comment

Want to wish you luck, have fun and don't be hard on yourself when (not if :-) ) you make mistakes. One suggestion I would offer is each time before you start quilting on your quilt, spend 5 or 10 minutes quilting on a practice project, just to make sure your machine is behaving and that you have it set up the way you need. I cannot tell you how many times I jumped right in, thinking I was starting where I left off but something was not quite right. Also, that little bit of practice time helps me get back to the right speed and mind set

Comment

Everest, Very good suggestion. Thanks for posting

Comment

Always remember that quilting should bring you joy. And even if you made a few mistakes - well, not a big deal since that's just a practice for your future projects. No one will punish you for that, and you shouldn't blame yourself either. The fear of failure is the most disturbing thing when it comes to creative process.
                            But also - give yourself time and don’t put yourself under any time pressure. Try to enjoy the process.

Comment

Working...
                            X