X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracie T
    replied
    Re: Today's DD - Slotted Trimmers Question

Well, I broke down and bought it. Thanks for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• chelea
    replied

I have these, use them almost daily and highly recommend them. I've been making lots of HSTs for the Blockheads quilt and these rulers have been a timesaver. I would say it takes half the time of doing it the long way with a square ruler. I don't trim off the dog ears because I respect my rotary cutter and don't trust myself with the odd angle, but even at that I still think they're worth it. As far as pressing after trimming, I don't find it a problem to keep my squares accurate. At the Daily Deal price, I'd say go for it.

Leave a comment:

• The_Last_Unicorn
    replied

I was tempted by all the buzz around this ruler. I already have a bloc ruler that I use and like. You think you've bought the latest and greatest tool for something...then something new comes along!

The way I see it, the pros of the slotted trimmer are:
    1. you square up before you press, so the process can feel faster.
    2. If you don't mind dog ears, you can square with as few as two cuts.

The cons of the slotted trimmer:
    a. I read from Amazon reviews that the corners can snap off easily.
    b. Some have already mentioned it can be difficult to line up with your seam if you use blending thread.
    c. Cutting off the dog ears using the slots forces you to cut toward yourself at an awkward angle, sometimes very close to your fingers.
    d. If your pressing method creates a pleat or distorts the block, it isn't square anymore.

The block loc can be a little slippery when I turn it around on the cutting mat to make the other two cuts, but the markings are clear and fine so it helps greatly with accuracy. You use the bloc loc after pressing, so you're already taking into account the fabric that is "used up" by folding it over the seam.

Leave a comment:

• KPH
    replied

I yielded to temptation... maybe I should have gone to the grocery store first. lol

Leave a comment:

• nativetexan
    replied

I have a large slotted one for strips I guess but hardly ever use it. I think it nicks my cutter blade if i don't put it in the beginning slot carefully enough.

Leave a comment:

• wlrquilts
    replied

I bought it this morning. I love quilts that half square triangle but, I hate squaring them up. Hope this makes it easier.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

I just began using the slotted trimmer. For me it's hard to see the my seam line for alignment with the trimmer unless I have fairly strong contrast with my thread or really bright light. If you make a lot of HSTs that need to be squared, this is for you. The price is certainly right today.

Leave a comment:

• Old Newbie
    replied

Next to my Stripology ruler, best ruler purchase I’ve made. I HATE squaring up, but this was easy and made my HST so perfect. I will admit the dog ear trimming slots took a bit to get used to, and I nicked my blade a few times. I say buy these.

Leave a comment:

• Tracie T
    replied

Originally posted by KPH View Post
    I use my Cozy Strip Tube Ruler... only thing it doesn't have is the slots. Same principle.

I'm tempted, it's a good deal, but do I really need another ruler?
    My thoughts exactly

Leave a comment:

• Ctbab
    replied

I watched a friend use one of these rulers on a bazillion half-square triangles. It was so efficient to trim and cut those dog-ears off at the same time. Four strokes with the rotary cutter, and you're done. Otherwise, it is using the scissors or the rotary cutter in a separate step whereby you have to be careful to not cut into your triangle. It is such an efficient tool, and makes for such neat trimmed corners. I was thinking about buying this before, but too expensive for me. Now, I think I will with 2/3 off on the Daily Deal. And I have enough Quilter's Cash points to cover it!

Leave a comment:

• KPH
    replied

I use my Cozy Strip Tube Ruler... only thing it doesn't have is the slots. Same principle.

I'm tempted, it's a good deal, but do I really need another ruler?

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Originally posted by PamelaOry View Post
    Great question! I have a gc too....lol

I have the stripology ruler that has slots that I use quite a bit and enjoy, it makes me think I would like these too, but I’ve got no experience with them directly.

Can I ask....why do people type MS** or M* instead of MSQC?
    Good morning. No opinion with the rulers, but I sometimes use M* because it is fewer keystrokes than MSQC.

Leave a comment:

• JulieC
    replied

Originally posted by PamelaOry View Post
    It is easier / faster to type.

I bought the slotted trimmers last month when they had the 25% off coupon promotion. I haven't tried them, yet.

Leave a comment:

• PamelaOry
    replied

Great question! I have a gc too....lol

I have the stripology ruler that has slots that I use quite a bit and enjoy, it makes me think I would like these too, but I’ve got no experience with them directly.

Leave a comment:

• Tracie T
    started a topic Today's DD - Slotted Trimmers Question

Today's DD - Slotted Trimmers Question

Does anyone have the slotted trimmers and do you like/use them? I'm just curious because I had them on my wish list but not sure if it would be used enough for me to spend the gift card for M* that's burning a hole in my pocket.
Working...
X