Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't put off opening your package

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Don't put off opening your package

    I've made this mistake not opening my package as soon as I get it. I ordered 108" wide backing fabric back on Nov 2018 and just opened it today. I'm ready to send off a quilt top to M* to be quilted. The 108" wide backing fabric turns out to be 108" long and 38" wide so that means I will have to piece it which I always struggle in doing. I hate piecing backing fabric that is why I order the wide plus cuts out that seam. So I called customer service and was assured the quilter would piece it with no charge. I'm okay with this but they need to be more careful in cutting. Hmmm, 38" wide???
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

    #2
    Re: Don't put off opening your package

    Originally posted by LindaKay75 View Post
    I've made this mistake not opening my package as soon as I get it. I ordered 108" wide backing fabric back on Nov 2018 and just opened it today. I'm ready to send off a quilt top to M* to be quilted. The 108" wide backing fabric turns out to be 108" long and 38" wide so that means I will have to piece it which I always struggle in doing. I hate piecing backing fabric that is why I order the wide plus cuts out that seam. So I called customer service and was assured the quilter would piece it with no charge. I'm okay with this but they need to be more careful in cutting. Hmmm, 38" wide???
    Am I wrong in assuming you paid the price for WIDE fabric?
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Don't put off opening your package

      Did you order 1 yard of 108" wide fabric/
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


      Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Don't put off opening your package

        That appears to be what she got, at least.
        Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
        Did you order 1 yard of 108" wide fabric/
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Don't put off opening your package

          Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
          Did you order 1 yard of 108" wide fabric/
          I ordered 1 yard of 108" wide fabric at $14.95. Please explain if I'm not figuring right on this.
          My quilt top measures 48.5 by 43.5.
          sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Don't put off opening your package

            Originally posted by LindaKay75 View Post
            I ordered 1 yard of 108" wide fabric at $14.95. Please explain if I'm not figuring right on this.
            My quilt top measures 48.5 by 43.5.
            I think you should have ordered one and a half yards if you didn't want to piece it. This would have been 54 x 108. As it is, you will have enough fabric, it just needs to be pieced.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Don't put off opening your package

              Well 1 yard of wide backing is 108" wide, and 36" inches long. So yes you miscalculated.

              If you wanted absolutely no seams then you would have needed at least 50" long (approx 1.5 yards).

              As it is, now there will be one seam.

              Either way, you should end up with extra fabric to add to your stash.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Don't put off opening your package

                Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                Well 1 yard of wide backing is 108" wide, and 36" inches long. So yes you miscalculated.

                If you wanted absolutely no seams then you would have needed at least 50" long (approx 1.5 yards).

                As it is, now there will be one seam.

                Either way, you should end up with extra fabric to add to your stash.
                Caroline T, Yep, I did miscalculate. Ugh, I'm just not that good with measurements. I have enough fabric and they are willing to piece it for me so off it goes tomorrow. I need to be more careful. I need all the help I can get from you experts!
                sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Don't put off opening your package

                  Originally posted by KarenC View Post
                  I think you should have ordered one and a half yards if you didn't want to piece it. This would have been 54 x 108. As it is, you will have enough fabric, it just needs to be pieced.
                  Thanks KarenC. I did miscalculate. I'm so green at this.
                  sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Don't put off opening your package

                    Look on the bright side, the way you ordered was the most economical and least wasteful (or less to add to your stash), and they are willing to piece it for you at no charge, so less stressful for you. Overall, it is a win win in my book.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Don't put off opening your package

                      Originally posted by LindaKay75 View Post
                      I ordered 1 yard of 108" wide fabric at $14.95. Please explain if I'm not figuring right on this.
                      My quilt top measures 48.5 by 43.5.
                      One yard is 36" (they were generous and gave you 2 extra inches}. The width is the fabric is 108. There is no way that one yard would have been wide enough to cover 43.5"
                      K is for Karen 😊​..................
                      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


                      Before you speak,
                      T - is it TRUE?
                      H - is it HELPFUL?
                      I - is it INSPIRING?
                      N - is it NECESSARY?
                      K - is it KIND?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Don't put off opening your package

                        Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                        One yard is 36" (they were generous and gave you 2 extra inches}. The width is the fabric is 108. There is no way that one yard would have been wide enough to cover 43.5"
                        Got it!!! Yes I remeasured the width and it is 38" so they did give me extra. The length of this fabric is 108" and the width is 38". I have enough fabric just needs to be seamed. Thanks.
                        sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Don't put off opening your package

                          Originally posted by LindaKay75 View Post
                          Got it!!! Yes I remeasured the width and it is 38" so they did give me extra. The length of this fabric is 108" and the width is 38". I have enough fabric just needs to be seamed. Thanks.
                          With respect, you still don't have it. By definition the WIDTH is the measurement between the two selvedge edges. So the width of this fabric is 108". The length is the measurement parallel or running along the edge of the selvedge. The length of this fabric is 38 inches. Since a yard is 36 inches, they generously sent you two inches over what you ordered, which was one yard.

                          If you don't understand the difference between the length and the width of fabric you ordered, you may run into this problem again.

                          If the fabric is 108 inches wide and you order one yard, you will receive one piece of fabric 36X 108. If you order two yards you will get a piece 72 x108. If you order three yards you will get a piece 108 x 108.

                          Hope this helps.
                          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Don't put off opening your package

                            Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                            With respect, you still don't have it. By definition the WIDTH is the measurement between the two selvedge edges. So the width of this fabric is 108". The length is the measurement parallel or running along the edge of the selvedge. The length of this fabric is 38 inches. Since a yard is 36 inches, they generously sent you two inches over what you ordered, which was one yard.

                            If you don't understand the difference between the length and the width of fabric you ordered, you may run into this problem again.

                            If the fabric is 108 inches wide and you order one yard, you will receive one piece of fabric 36X 108. If you order two yards you will get a piece 72 x108. If you order three yards you will get a piece 108 x 108.

                            Hope this helps.
                            Okay, I watched Jenny's quilting terminology and she demonstrates width of fabric is from one selvedge to selvedge. So like you all have explained to me the 108" is the width. So my length is 36" or in this case 38". I have been totally backwards. Thanks for your help. Gee whiz, am I right now?
                            sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Don't put off opening your package

                              Oops, I think I misspelled selvedge. Should it be selvage? Oh well. Time to put it to bed.
                              sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X