Sharpening sewing scissors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpening sewing scissors

I have some Fiskars sewing scissors that are pretty dull. How do you all sharpen yours? What's the best tool to buy?

Re: Sharpening sewing scissors

I take mine to the local sharpening person at Ace hardware. Itcs a one week turnaround. I have also taken them to the Houston quilt show before (if I can wait). There's a vendor there who if I drop them off in the morning it's ready in the afternoon

Comment

I take mine to my sewing machine guru. He does a fine job. All my scissors but one are 35 years old.
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Does anyone use pinking shears? I have a pair my grandmother gave me that needs to be sharpened. How can I find someone to do that?
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

I'm also interested in how one sharpens pinking scissors. Do we have to send them off to the company?

Thanks much.

Comment

You could try talking to your hairdresser. I believe mine has a company that comes by and collects them to be sharpened.
            I am Sew Blessed!
            Alina

Comment

Sharpen scissors? Is that what we're suppose to do? hahaha

My DH tends to borrow (without permission) my Fiskars, and I usually find them in the garage where he used them to open plastic packaging, or cut wire, or heaven forbid....cut paper. The scissors remain in the garage and I go shopping for a new pair. After cleaning and reorganizing the garage, I found 6 pairs out there. He currently has more pairs of scissors than I do (and for the past 4 months has left mine alone), but mine are always sharp.

Comment

Ok, maybe I'll check with Ace Hardware here, or my local sewing machine repair guy.

Comment

I have one of the plastic scissor sharpener things that I bought at
                  JoAnns. Works great for my Fiskars. Used it to sharpen my paper
                  cutter blade too. If I had really expensive scissors I would get them
                  professionally sharpened.

Comment

You can sharpen pinking shears by folding some foil to make a sandwich of 4 layers and cut through that. For small scissors I use a Fiskars sharpener but my dressmaking shears are as sharp as the day I bought them (nearly 30 years ago). Fortunately they are a left handed pair so only I can use them!!

Comment

Fiskars has different grades of scissors. Not all respond to sharpening the same, or have the same life between sharpenings. Not sure which ones you have but now may be the time to upgrade instead. $8 to $10 bucks for sharpening? Or $20 for a new pair which perform better.

The Razor Edge series has thicker blades for less flex- larger bearing surface at the joint, and bigger nut. The steel is a better grade which holds the edge longer. And I like the shape and the soft grips much better.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-17580...-20&ref=sr_1_5

Some sharpener guys I've talked to look down their noses at Fiskars. I also have some Kai, Gingher, MKB, and Wiss. I'll pick up the Fiskars every time.
                      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

I love my old Wiss, all 6 pair. Got some Fiskars and they just hang on the wall.
                        TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

fabric stores and quilt stores probably have someone they can recommend.

Comment

I forget where I heard this one: You know the knives that come in the butcher block and have that piece with the set that you sharpen your knives with, guess what I sharpened my scissors just fine with that thing.180920-204820.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X