Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OMG! A Quilter's Dream Estate Sale in Elburn, IL

Originally posted by chelea View Post
    Janice, every time I've gone to an estate sale or made a purchase I always wonder about the previous owner...obviously I'm getting something they treasured and I wonder who they were, what their story was, what kind of work they did, about their kids and grandkids. So there are plenty of us out there who appreciate the opportunity to have items with a history.
    Thank you for your response. Reading it made me feel better. I’m hoping many many people feel the same way you just described!

Comment

Janice, here are three of my favorite estate sale belongings. One is a Singer treadle sewing machine. That same owner had a Franklin treadle sewing machine without a cabinet which I also purchased. The interesting part of the story of the Franklin is the owner's sister-in-law also owned a Franklin treadle which was auctioned off the next weekend after the estate sale. I bought that one and both reside in my house. That is how three treadles from the same family ended up at my home.

But you know one of the best parts for me at the estate sale, was the fact that the family opened up their parents beautiful home to allow anyone who wanted to come look through the home that so many of us drive by all the time (it is just down the street from me and is well known in town). Many of us have always wondered what the home looked like on the inside. We took our children to look at the historical home and we were given the privilege to hear some of the stories from her daughter. On a personal note, one of my favorite memories of the home is every year the lady placed electric candles in all three above ground stories of the home (main floor, 2nd story and attic) which were lit every night during December. The place looked like it was right out of a story book.

Comment

There was just an estate sale like this a couple hours from here. The man was a rep for one of the ruler companies, and from the looks of it, he had connections to lots of other things.

If I didn't have a trip coming up, I'd have gone!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

OMG!!! I would go wild at that sale. Jeff would have to put me in restraints. I would be thrilled just with the things on the Halloween table. The sewing room is INCREDIBLE. Did she run a sewing business or is this just the way the 'other half' lives?

Seriously, there is a sad component to this sale. I always wonder about the person who owned the belongings. In this case, if she wasn't running a business it looks like her belongings owned her.
          Last edited by Bubby; September 19th, 2018, 06:03 AM.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Janice, thank you for the gentle reminder that estate sales are about more than "stuff", but are also about love and loss.

Comment

I didn't get so much excitement out of this as I did a feeling of sadness. I'm imagining a woman who loves to sew, quilt and create. She had a beautiful place full of all her sewing needs and then some. Nice kitchen stuff too so she probably enjoyed cooking. But, also in the listing is a medical lift and stools and such. So, perhaps this woman became incapacitated and no longer able to do the sewing and crafting she loved. Sadly, I guess there are no kids or grandchildren interested in her treasures so it is all being sold to the public. Makes me think about my love for my home and quilting. What will become of my treasures? I have 3 girls - will any of them want anything? Brings to mind scripture:
              Matthew 6:19-21 New International Version (NIV)
              Treasures in Heaven
              19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
              I am Sew Blessed!
              Alina

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
                Janice, here are three of my favorite estate sale belongings. One is a Singer treadle sewing machine. That same owner had a Franklin treadle sewing machine without a cabinet which I also purchased. The interesting part of the story of the Franklin is the owner's sister-in-law also owned a Franklin treadle which was auctioned off the next weekend after the estate sale. I bought that one and both reside in my house. That is how three treadles from the same family ended up at my home.

But you know one of the best parts for me at the estate sale, was the fact that the family opened up their parents beautiful home to allow anyone who wanted to come look through the home that so many of us drive by all the time (it is just down the street from me and is well known in town). Many of us have always wondered what the home looked like on the inside. We took our children to look at the historical home and we were given the privilege to hear some of the stories from her daughter. On a personal note, one of my favorite memories of the home is every year the lady placed electric candles in all three above ground stories of the home (main floor, 2nd story and attic) which were lit every night during December. The place looked like it was right out of a story book.
                Thank you for sharing that. I’m so happy you are the one who got the machines. I know her daughter is happy they went to someone who will enjoy them as much as her Mother did.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                  Janice, thank you for the gentle reminder that estate sales are about more than "stuff", but are also about love and loss.
                  Caroline, I didn’t mean to sound harsh in any way and I apologize if I did. It just stirred some old feelings and I blurted them all out. Everyone has a story that goes with their life and we don’t know hers/theirs. The medical equipment hit me and I was off and going. I don’t post that often and maybe should have kept this one to myself as it may have come across differently than I meant it.

This sale is a quilter’s dream and as I said my hope is that it will bring joy to many as hopefully it did to her.

Comment

Originally posted by JaniceR View Post
                    Caroline, I didn’t mean to sound harsh in any way and I apologize if I did. It just stirred some old feelings and I blurted them all out. Everyone has a story that goes with their life and we don’t know hers/theirs. The medical equipment hit me and I was off and going. I don’t post that often and maybe should have kept this one to myself as it may have come across differently than I meant it.

This sale is a quilter’s dream and as I said my hope is that it will bring joy to many as hopefully it did to her.
                    Janice, you were in no way harsh. You saw a side of the story that I forgot and reminded me of by sharing your story. I am truly grateful.

When my mother passed away, we were fortunate that her "estate" was small as she had down sized and moved into a small apartment years before. She was an avid quilter and while it wasn't a huge collection of fabric & notions, she certainly had her share. But the fortunate part for my siblings and me was we were able to go thru her things together, with love and emotional support, even a laugh or two, and no bickering about who gets what. To often I hear stories about families fighting over the stuff and it tears my heart in two. What we didn't want to keep, was offered to Mom's surviving sisters and to her grandkids, the rest was donated to Mom's favorite charities. I don't think any of us could have emotionally handled having an estate sale.

I too hope that those who are able to attend the sale, will find some wonderful treasures and make something beautiful that will bring joy to another person. (Isn't that what we all try to do with our craft?)

{{hugs}} to you.

Comment

You are a naughty, naughty enabler! If I was within a hundred miles of Illinois I would be there when they open!! I stopped looking at estate sale listings for almost 2 years due to back surgery and the ever lovely breast cancer/chemo/mastectomy business. But I still have them show up in my emails. Sigh, I haven't found any goodies such as the one you posted, but...…

Gina

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                        Janice, you were in no way harsh. You saw a side of the story that I forgot and reminded me of by sharing your story. I am truly grateful.

When my mother passed away, we were fortunate that her "estate" was small as she had down sized and moved into a small apartment years before. She was an avid quilter and while it wasn't a huge collection of fabric & notions, she certainly had her share. But the fortunate part for my siblings and me was we were able to go thru her things together, with love and emotional support, even a laugh or two, and no bickering about who gets what. To often I hear stories about families fighting over the stuff and it tears my heart in two. What we didn't want to keep, was offered to Mom's surviving sisters and to her grandkids, the rest was donated to Mom's favorite charities. I don't think any of us could have emotionally handled having an estate sale.

I too hope that those who are able to attend the sale, will find some wonderful treasures and make something beautiful that will bring joy to another person. (Isn't that what we all try to do with our craft?)

{{hugs}} to you.
                        Hi Caroline, Your story touched my heart - thank you so much for sharing it! And the last part expressed exactly how I feel about our craft!!

Comment

Just wanted to add that every estate sale I go to for the quilting things I always wonder who did the sewing...Mom? daughter? maybe it was a combo of Mom & daughter. Maybe Mom couldn't see well enough to sew but was still able to participate. I ALWAYS wonder & hope they had the best time doing what they loved.

That's why I love going to antique shops. I always find some treasure & always, always wonder about the person or family each item belonged to.

Gina

Comment

Originally posted by amartin24 View Post
                            I didn't get so much excitement out of this as I did a feeling of sadness. I'm imagining a woman who loves to sew, quilt and create. She had a beautiful place full of all her sewing needs and then some. Nice kitchen stuff too so she probably enjoyed cooking. But, also in the listing is a medical lift and stools and such. So, perhaps this woman became incapacitated and no longer able to do the sewing and crafting she loved. Sadly, I guess there are no kids or grandchildren interested in her treasures so it is all being sold to the public. Makes me think about my love for my home and quilting. What will become of my treasures? I have 3 girls - will any of them want anything? Brings to mind scripture:
                            Matthew 6:19-21 New International Version (NIV)
                            Treasures in Heaven
                            19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

My thoughts exactly. It made me really think about "ALL" the stuff I have. I do wonder about the owner - she obviously loved her crafts and entertaining, either she or her husband loved woodworking and they had all the toys. I assume (hope) they brought them great joy, but I also got such an overwhelmed/sad feeling.
                            Donna

Comment

As women most of us are at least a little curious about where our things came from when we buy them at auction, yard sale or estate sale. While inspecting my first Featherweight machine I found a gift card from a husband to his wife on their anniversary. The machine was her gift. I still have that card. Most of the time things don't work out like that. I do know one thing, when it's my time to depart this life and I leave behind a mountain of fabric, books, notions, tools and machines, I would be THRILLED for other quilters to have my things and make good use of them to continue our quilting legacy. I have a feeling the dear woman whose estate has been talked about here for days would feel the same way otherwise she could have made provisions in her will as to where her belongings should go. If you are able to go the sale, go early and be blessed.
                              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                              X