Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure you are tired of this question Janome 8900qcp

Mel here

Stan is my Janome 8900QCP.... I am considering leaving him as he is being difficult, annoying and I am frustrated. My daughter was gifted a Janome Magnolia and I love her machine so much I went out and bought Stan. I have had it into the shop 3 times(2 different fixers), purchased a blue bobbin case, gnashed my teeth, changed needles a gazillion times(you are welcome sewing machine stock holders), cried, played with tension ETC.... The dern thing is killing me when I FMQ. Persistently skips stitches. When I am piecing I love Stan, perfect tension, lovely speed control, lots of fun stitch choices....

The first time I went to the shop they replaced the stitch plate, the second time they shrugged and said they cleaned it up a bit(said it was pretty clean anyway), third time told me I need to buy the blue bobbin....

Any insight would be appreciated! - I have said before I would throw him out the window - but it is too hot and I don't want to fix the window.

Re: I am sure you are tired of this question Janome 8900qcp

Is there any pattern to when it skips stitches or is it random? For example it always skips stitches when I am sewing the upper left quadrant of a circle, or it always skips stitches when I am sewing backwards at a 45 degree angle, or it always skips stitches when I am sewing over a bulky seam intersection?

Please let us know specifically what thread including the thread weight you are using in the top and in the bobbin, and what needle you are using. For example 50 wt aurifil in the top and bobbin with an 90/14 top stitch needle.

How have you basted your quilt sandwich?

I see the Janome 8900QCP does not have a built in cone thread stand. Are you using a spool of thread or a cone on thread?

We love to help each other and the above questions will give input for different solutions.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I have the blue faced 8900 QCP SE. What works for me is the Janome brand purple tip needles ... they have a cobra head to help prevent skipped stitches; speed selector at medium; upper tension at auto; Aurifil 50 wt thread; convertible free motion foot - adjust it so it’s not catching on your quilt and then puddle the quilt up so you have no drag. If you’ve already done these things then Yikes! ... I’m not sure what else to suggest. I hope you find a solution
      Life ain’t always beautiful
      But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

Awesome questions:

It always skips stitches when the feed dogs are down, It doesn't seem to matter which angle or direction I am going, seems random. Bulky seams are problematic but it can be flat fabric when it skips. It seems to happen after I have been FMQ for more than 15 minutes...seems to get worse with time.

Thread: 50wt only, I have tried aurifil, connecting threads and presencia....It didn't seem to matter which one. Bobbin and top are the same.
        Needles: 90/14 tried Organ(absolutely was the worst but the one Janome recommends) schmetz the regular one and the long lasting one, and Singer. Have not tried any other size

I pin basted 3 of them, tag gun basted 2 - didn't seem to matter but I might say the tag basting was 'sketchier'

I am using a spool of thread.

Thank you for all the amazing questions...I appreciate any and ALL the help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sherriequilts View Post
          What works for me is the Janome brand purple tip needles ... they have a cobra head to help prevent skipped stitches; speed selector at medium; upper tension at auto; Aurifil 50 wt thread; convertible free motion foot - adjust it so it’s not catching on your quilt )

I haven't tried the Janome purple tipped needles

Comment

I have the same machine and the same issues .... sometimes everything works fine sometimes I have skipped stitches, birdsnests on the back and thread brakes. I got the tip in this forum to clean between the tension discs with dental floss worked for a while. I had it repaired twice in 5 weeks and got the answer it’s a machine for hobby not for professional use.
            I am quilting with Aurifil 50 weight thread and titanium coated 90/14 toostich needles by superior threads

That works most of the time, but I am thinking about replacing the machine with a Bernina or a semiprofessional straight Stich machine... I have an appointment for testing next week
            Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Janome purple tip needles resolved that problem for me in the 9400.

Comment

Thanks for your detailed answers. They eliminated a lot of areas that might have been causing skipped stitches.

I hope the Janome purple tipped needles work for you.

Have you tried leaving the feed dogs up and setting you stitch length to zero?

I assumed you where using either a Sew Slip or a Supreme Slider to reduce the drag on the bed of the machine. Is that right? Not using it would not cause skipped stitches. It just makes FMQ easier. It would also cover the feed dogs if you have to leave them up.
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Uli View Post
                  I have the same machine and the same issues .... sometimes everything works fine sometimes I have skipped stitches, birdsnests on the back and thread brakes. I got the tip in this forum to clean between the tension discs with dental floss worked for a while. I had it repaired twice in 5 weeks and got the answer it’s a machine for hobby not for professional use.
                  I am quilting with Aurifil 50 weight thread and titanium coated 90/14 toostich needles by superior threads

That works most of the time, but I am thinking about replacing the machine with a Bernina or a semiprofessional straight Stich machine... I have an appointment for testing next week
                  How incredibly frustrating to be told that! I don't know if I'd want to continue to do business with that dealer. Of course, I don't know how much you use it but that seems like a cop out to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                    Thanks for your detailed answers. They eliminated a lot of areas that might have been causing skipped stitches.

Have you tried leaving the feed dogs up and setting you stitch length to zero?
                    I have not tried this either...Thanks for the fabulous questions as I can also give these answers to the repair guy who keeps looking at me like I am cuckoo....Cool now I have a couple of things to try before I buy something new!!!

Comment

You know what, I get the same kinda...it must be you response...I use my daughter's Magnolia and I can FMQ on it but the throat size is WAY to small...seriously hate salesman

Comment

You know what, I get the same kinda...it must be you response...I use my daughter's Magnolia and I can FMQ on it but the throat size is WAY to small...seriously hate salesman

Comment

Mel, some machines are just like that, and I'm sad you seem to have one... I have a Babylock, same story as yours and Auntie Uli's. It is SO frustrating.

Auntie Uli , the absolute NERVE of some "customer service" / repair people. I was not familiar with the machine so I googled it. It's sold under the guise of being capable of handling all your both asking of it. But then again so was my Babylock.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
                            Mel, some machines are just like that, and I'm sad you seem to have one... I have a Babylock, same story as yours and Auntie Uli's. It is SO frustrating.

Auntie Uli , the absolute NERVE of some "customer service" / repair people. I was not familiar with the machine so I googled it. It's sold under the guise of being capable of handling all your both asking of it. But then again so was my Babylock.
                            I struggled a lot with this issues and changed my mind several times. Because it seems crazy to replace a machine after only 3 years. But there are on the other hand some good reasons to do so. In a few month I will rebuild my sewing area and a carpenter will make a customized table for me. This makes only sense when I am sure that I will use the sewing machine for a long time. And then yesterday I quilted a feather spine and it wasn’t a birds nest on the back it was more a birds highway... No I stopped thinking about it and have an appointment in a large store where they have all types of machines. I hope I will find a longtime sewing partner!
                            Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Working...
                            X