Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WD hometown museum and other things in MO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD hometown museum and other things in MO?

So I am heading to MSQC in the summer for the second time - this time I will have a car and want to do a little exploration of the surrounding area.

1. Has anyone been to the Walt Disney Hometown Museum in Marceline? Is it worth the hour drive?

2. Aside from other local quilt shops, are there any places to check out that might be worth a short jaunt?

Re: WD hometown museum and other things in MO?

I was down there last year but didn't do much else because of the rain. I do have relatives buried in Blue Mound and Dawn area and we visited the cemeteries and then went to Chillicothe. So nothing thrilling for us.

Casey's in Hamilton had some interesting customers in there while we were there though.

Comment

Which way are you coming in from?

If you are coming across on 36, there are lots of quilts shops on the way. They are doing the HWY 36 quilt where you get a free quilt block pattern from each store. The 2018 theme is Ol' Trail Town.

I hear rave reviews about the Ben Franklin store in Macon, Missouri. I get to drive by it several times a year but have never gotten to stop at it.

Lots of history along 36 from Mark Twain to General Pershing to the hometown of sliced bread to JCPenney (free museum in Hamilton) to the Pony Express are just a few of the many things of history. St. Joseph, Missouri has many museums and also has a minor league baseball team. Kansas City is another direction to head as Angela Walters has a store in Liberty, Missouri. And there are so many things to see and do in Kansas City.

Jamesport, Missouri has lots of neat stores to visit and is not far from Hamilton. The best thing to do is stop at city hall and pick up a free map as several including a really nice quilt store are located out in the country. And Cameron (13 miles from Hamilton) also has a quilt shop and some neat restaurants.

If you are on facebook, look up the "Missouri Highway 36" page as there is lots of information of activities and events across 36.

Comment

You will be about an hour from Kansas City...entitle yourself to some KC BBQ for sure! There is also the World War I Museum near downtown KC. The is the Harry S Truman Library in Independence, MO (very good to visit). There is also the Ginger Rogers Museum in Independence, MO. Just use Google, sweetie and you'll be opened up to many sites to see!
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

My dad is from Marceline and I have family there but haven't been in quite some time. It's a little town. They have a museum there dedicated to Walt Disney (https://www.waltdisneymuseum.org) that has artifacts donated by his family. It's said that Main Street USA is modeled after Marceline, and Walt's "Dreaming Tree" is there, along with the family farm, I believe. I've never been to the museum. When they had the 100th anniversary of Disneyland there were lots of celebrations in the town. If you like small towns, you will enjoy it.

Comment

I'm probably going to be taking I-70, since I'm from out west.

Comment

Then Kansas City and Liberty will be on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
                Which way are you coming in from?

If you are coming across on 36, there are lots of quilts shops on the way. They are doing the HWY 36 quilt where you get a free quilt block pattern from each store. The 2018 theme is Ol' Trail Town.

I hear rave reviews about the Ben Franklin store in Macon, Missouri. I get to drive by it several times a year but have never gotten to stop at it.

Lots of history along 36 from Mark Twain to General Pershing to the hometown of sliced bread to JCPenney (free museum in Hamilton) to the Pony Express are just a few of the many things of history. St. Joseph, Missouri has many museums and also has a minor league baseball team. Kansas City is another direction to head as Angela Walters has a store in Liberty, Missouri. And there are so many things to see and do in Kansas City.

Jamesport, Missouri has lots of neat stores to visit and is not far from Hamilton. The best thing to do is stop at city hall and pick up a free map as several including a really nice quilt store are located out in the country. And Cameron (13 miles from Hamilton) also has a quilt shop and some neat restaurants.

If you are on facebook, look up the "Missouri Highway 36" page as there is lots of information of activities and events across 36.

Thanks for info. We will be flying to Kansas, and I told DH that we are making a 4 hr detour to MO. We have seen places to eat on Diners, Drive-ins and Dive. Definitely want to try BBQ.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                X