Grandmother's Flower Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Hi! Have any of you ladies or gents made a large bedsize Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt, using English Paper Piecing? I am using 1 inch hexis. I'm wondering about how many flowers surrounded by white and green hexi's I might need. Please tell of your experiences. Did you do a traditional looking one or did you use modern fabrics? Thank you for your comments!
    Every great human achievement is preceded by extended periods of dedicated, concentrated effort-Brian Tracy

Life is not a rehearsal!

Re: Grandmother's Flower Garden

Congrats on this wonderful experience. I am in process of making one and I have no idea how many will be needed as I am using half inch hexies. If I were to do it over, I would have used one inch hexies or larger. I am glue basting mine as they are so small. My best advice is to have fun with them. I need to warn you, they are addicting. It makes for a nice on the go or watching TV project so hang in there and enjoy.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

I've been working on my hexie quilt for quite a while, but I'm making it totally scrappy. I started off by just buying DDs that I thought were pretty. I'll work on it and then put it away. It's a lot harder working on it since we moved here though. The grandkids are here too often to leave the pieces out.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

There's a hexagon group but I think it's been inactive for awhile...
        Michele
        ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~

Comment

You might want to check out the patterns on paperpieces.com to see if there is a pattern and modern take on hexagon quilts. https://www.paperpieces.com/hexie-kisses
          http://www.jessiefincham.com/2014/07...cs-week-2.html

You can also check out Tula Pink's designs with EPP...she has done some beautiful stuff with modern fabrics.....
          http://100billionstars.com/2015/06/a...#comment-12891
          Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I'm working on an EPP quilt currently, but it's not the Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern. Why not check out Pinterest because there is a big variety in layouts and types of fabrics to achieve the look you want. Here's one board for example with many gorgeous photos:
            https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...7513&term_meta[]=grandmother%27s%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_m eta[]=flower%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=garden%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=quilt%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined

And if you don't use Pinterest, just Google - images Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt. A load of beautiful work there, too.

Good luck!

Comment

I think our member Swedish Leo had one almost completed. I'm not sure what size her hexis were, but she had a pretty complete quilt last time she posted pictures of her quilt. Maybe a private message to her would get an answer for you.

Comment

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/at...1&d=1428831374

Here is my Grandmother's Flower garden quilt

The Hexies measure about 2 " finished in the quilt . so the paper hexie should have been 2.5" I think

Hope this helps
                sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
                A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
                And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Your quilt is beautiful!!! Thank you for the photo.
                  Every great human achievement is preceded by extended periods of dedicated, concentrated effort-Brian Tracy

Life is not a rehearsal!

Comment

I have been making one for years...
                    I found inspiration on Pinterest. You can always make one row,
                    and lay it out to see how long/wide you want the final quilt, then
                    multiple the hexies used. The flowers are the easy part, putting it
                    together is another thing.

Comment

I am in the process of hand quilting this:
                      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/al...hmentid=150926
                      It is my first hexi project ever and I wanted a modern look, so I opted for this different layout with plenty of background. My hexis are 1" so I could cut them from 2 1/2" strips from my scraps.
                      Hand sewing projects are intended to be relaxing, the opposite of a race. I would sew a few hexis now and then, and it is only half way that I decided on the definite size of the quilt.

Comment

I have a hexie quilt in the works since that group started. So much fun, and sooooo much work
                        I make mine scrappy, I join 100 and put them a side and start the next 100. That way i can still manage it on my lap till I join them all into a full size quilt............one day

Good luck with yoyrs, please show ys the progress!!
                        It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

www.memoryquiltsbyklasien.nl

Comment

Here is my first quilt,I just finished a La Passagalia,I like to do paper piecing travelling,we are off tomorrow for a couple of months(motorhome) cutting out 3/4 inch hexies,had a lot of fabric left from the passa,not sure what I'm doing yet but have a pattern similar to louries above.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you ladies for the photos of your EPP quilts. They are so pretty and very inspiring! I'm on flower #16! Decided to start with 50 flowers, lay them out and then determine if more will be needed. Those hexagons are addictive!

Life is not a rehearsal!

Comment

Originally posted by lauthala View Post
                              Here is my first quilt,I just finished a La Passagalia,I like to do paper piecing travelling,we are off tomorrow for a couple of months(motorhome) cutting out 3/4 inch hexies,had a lot of fabric left from the passa,not sure what I'm doing yet but have a pattern similar to louries above.
                              I love your quilt. It is so beautiful! If I ever decided to make something so time consuming and complicated my husband would kill me. As it is it seems I am always working on or sewing something in my spare time which there is never enough of, and he still complains that I am always sewing. And a passagalia? I can't even imagine getting that one cut out!!

Comment

Working...
                              X