Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding

Hi at long last I have finished the quilting on my king size quilt and now the binding has any one got some good tips for me as it is the first time I have attempted to do binding. Two questions I would like to ask is what foot should I use and how do I work out how much material I need to buy I'm going to cut my strips 2 1/2" wide. Thank you

Re: Binding

I use the Eleanor Burns method where you sew the binding up to 1/4 inch before you run off the edge, turn the quilt and run your stitches perpendicular to the binding right off the edge (seam towards you), cut your thread, then make your miter and begin a new row of stitching 1/4 inch from the edge. I only pin the corners after I make the miter. I do not pin any of the binding down before sewing. I just lay about a 4" section and keep my fingers guiding along the edge, stop and line up another 4" etc. I don't know about yardage, I hate math and guess at everything (although I have gotten pretty good at guessing lol) so my guess would be 2 yards would be enough but someone else will probably come along and give you a more accurate number. Binding for some reason has a terrible reputation for being such a difficult thing. I don't think it is that hard and I kind of enjoy it so don't be too nervous about it.

Comment

Found a calculator online.....never used it before. Not sure if it's correct....

http://www.mywebquilter.com/Calculat...ookieSupport=1

Another:

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/C...Calculator.php

Hope they're the same and are a help to you.
      💫 Star lover

Comment

Thank you I will give it a go

Comment

Thank you very useful

Comment

I can't live without the Robert Kaufman app...QuiltingCalc
            It calculates binding, borders, backing and more.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

What a good app. Never seen this before will definately give it a go. Thank you

Comment

I use both Robert Kaufman and Quilter's Paradise calculators... I usually use the quilter's paradise since I found it first!
                Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by chelea View Post
                  I can't live without the Robert Kaufman app...QuiltingCalc
                  It calculates binding, borders, backing and more.
                  That is one I use. Very helpful to me.

Comment

I just measure the sides, and add about 12" or more. sidex2 + topx2= and then divide that by 40" to get how many strips I need.
                    So for a 100" by 120 quilt, you'd have 200+240=440 /40= 11 strips.
                    so take your 11 strips and times it by 2.5 to get 27.5" which is slightly over 3/4 yard, so I'd just buy a yard.

This is how I sew my bindings on.
                    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I take my 2 1/2 in strips and begin about 4 inches from the corner on the back side of the quilt. I lay the rght sides together and fold the binding in half and sew it 1/4 inch from edge. Then, I go all the way around the quilt rounding the corners . then turn it over and sew it to the right side of the quilt. this will not make mitered corners, but rounded corners. if you want mtered corners, then start at the top edge and leave about 1 inch overlap. CLip on each side and then , fold your corners into neat little miters.
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

My quilt is 101" x 101" can you work out how much I need I'm going to cut my strips 2 1/2" thank you

Comment

If your fabric is cut perfectly straight you will need 10 strips or 25" of fabric. I would get a yard just to have a bit extra to straighten the edges and maybe cut an extra strip just to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by ding View Post
                            My quilt is 101" x 101" can you work out how much I need I'm going to cut my strips 2 1/2" thank you
                            The Robert Kaufman app is very useful. Total binding length 414. number of wof strips 11 yardage 5/6.The app is a quilting calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by ding View Post
                              The Robert Kaufman app is very useful. Total binding length 414. number of wof strips 11 yardage 5/6.The app is a quilting calculator.

Comment

Working...
                              X