Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precut spreadsheet?! (Yes...I'm a Nerd!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precut spreadsheet?! (Yes...I'm a Nerd!)

I asked and got an answer to a question about a master list for tutorials and now I'm wondering if anyone has made some kind of list where we can find a tutorial based on how many of a precut we have. For example I have two Summer Breeze 5 charm packs and am trying to find just the right tutorial to use them. I find many that require 4 but none that require two. I know I can adapt them and make it bigger or smaller but it would be nice to be able to just look up the particular precut we have and then go from there.

I do plan on printing out the Block tutorial list and writing in what precut it takes. Someday...!

And I realize the tutorial page does have the option to look at tutorials for certain precuts but I was interested in an actual list.
    Last edited by t4ester; March 31, 2018, 05:41 AM. Reason: adding tags

Re: Precut spreadsheet?! (Yes...I'm a Nerd!)

I think this doesn't exist as the fabric lines change over time and are replaced with new ones. This might also depend on how quickly you make your quilts after the tutorial and fabric has been released/sold. I don't have quilting fabrics that are older than 5 years old, as I have been quilting for 3 years and figure some of the fabrics I purchased had been in the store a few years. Some people have fabrics that go back, way back.

When I buy a precut, I might attach a note to it, with the idea for the quilt pattern that I plan to make. It's a guide only. Sometimes I pick up another fabric to go with the precuts and change the pattern entirely.

Good luck.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

I don't know of such a list, but depending on the pattern, so many precuts can be interchanged. ie, for a 4x4 block with 16 squares you can start with a jelly roll for the 2.5" squares, or a charm pack, or even a layer cake.

You can use the filter when going through the tutorials to what size precut you're looking for.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I think you may have to go through the tutorials & come up with your own list, which IMO I don't really see the need for. Pre-cuts can be used so many different ways. Assuming it's fully a 10" square, a LC square can be cut into (4) 5" charms, (4) 2.5" strips, charms can be cut in half for 2.5" strips or into 4ths for 2.5" squares, or a person can use a JR. FQs can be used many different ways. Many people prefer to cut their own fabric for better accuracy. Not all pre-cuts are created equal, & many times they are not square. Most JRs seem to be ok. It's always a good idea to measure any pre-cut before starting a project. I've never made any of Jenny's quilt patterns the size she shows; mine usually are smaller, ~40 x 60". In some cases, I made mine rectangular instead of square by adding something to the top & bottom.

The only pre-cuts (kits) I think would be accurate would anything you'd get from Jordan Fabrics. They cut the fabric themselves for their quilt/table runner kits.
        Last edited by JCY; March 31, 2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

This MSQC infographic might be a starting point for your spreadsheet:

http://blog.missouriquiltco.com/miss...c-infographic/
          Michele
          ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~

Comment

Originally posted by chelea View Post
            This MSQC infographic might be a starting point for your spreadsheet:

http://blog.missouriquiltco.com/miss...c-infographic/
            In my user notes beginning with Jan 2017, I did make notations on what was used. I need to do some catching up, but there is at least 18 months of info in the list. Maybe this will help you.

I also thought there was something which MSQC produced, but I cannot find it on the site. I'll continue to look.

In the meantime, the infographic helps too.
            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
              I think this doesn't exist as the fabric lines change over time and are replaced with new ones. This might also depend on how quickly you make your quilts after the tutorial and fabric has been released/sold. I don't have quilting fabrics that are older than 5 years old, as I have been quilting for 3 years and figure some of the fabrics I purchased had been in the store a few years. Some people have fabrics that go back, way back.

When I buy a precut, I might attach a note to it, with the idea for the quilt pattern that I plan to make. It's a guide only. Sometimes I pick up another fabric to go with the precuts and change the pattern entirely.

Good luck.
              I don't believe she meant which specific fabric line - just how many of what size precut. For instance 3 charm packs or 2 layer cakes.

I would like to see something like that, too. The problem I see with any tutorial is not all precuts are created equal. For instance you may have one that has all dark/medium colors with no neutrals. Then another one may have half neutrals and half colors or any mix in between. So, IMO not all precuts work for all of the tutorials.
              Donna

Comment

Originally posted by dwil23 View Post
                I don't believe she meant which specific fabric line - just how many of what size precut. For instance 3 charm packs or 2 layer cakes.

I would like to see something like that, too. The problem I see with any tutorial is not all precuts are created equal. For instance you may have one that has all dark/medium colors with no neutrals. Then another one may have half neutrals and half colors or any mix in between. So, IMO not all precuts work for all of the tutorials.
                Exactly! Some have no neutrals, or an odd number of lights to darks ratio, ect.
                Even if a pattern calls for say 2 charm packs, and a background, . . . that charm pack may contain a bunch of lights that you'd have to set aside because it doesn't work with the background. If you use a darker background, then you may have to set aside a bunch of darks.
                Anymore, I buy multiples of charms, and sometimes doubles of layer cakes just for that reason.
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                X