scissor recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scissor recommendation

I've never invested in a "good" pair of scissors. My Fiskars have served me well for years. I would like to gift my soon-to-be DIL (who has just discovered sewing!) a nice pair of dressmaker scissors. Any recommendations?
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Re: scissor recommendation

KAI, KAI, KAI, and KAI!!!! They are great scissors and very fairly priced!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Ginghler....JoAnn's and Michaels have them and there are always those super coupons!
      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I recommend Gingher. Although, we use Fiskers at the cutting table at JoAnns. We use the pricier version, and we also use the Fisker scissors sharpener which works great. You can imagine how much of a work-out our scissors get!

Jeanne

Comment

I have a large pair of Gingher scissors that I purchased about 25 years ago and they are still my favorite pair of cutting scissors and still sharp. These are the scissors I used back in the day before we used rotary cutters. These scissors has stood the test of time and still look brand new.
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Kind of fond of Gingher myself, but the main reason is my dad went to school with one of the families kids. I guess that's blind loyalty, but it's the only scissors he would buy for Mom or me. I have a pair that were my grandma's. I don't use them much, but they still cut like butter.
            Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
            ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Kia! Definitely - I have Gingher's that I've had for years, but I absolutely LOVE MY KIAS - fantastic scissors.
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I still use my 1983 Wiss scissors daily, all 3 pair.
                TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

KAI's for me too! They have free shipping too.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have some ginghers, Weiss and another pair of really great dressmaker sheers but...DD bought me a set of Kai's and
                    let me tell you, I have never had a better pair of scissors. She got me the 9' blade and the little snips and I use them continually, The little snips are perfect for dethreading and for ripping out FMQ and the big ones for trimming up the sandwich. She says they are guaranteed lifetime even can send them back for sharpening.

Comment

I love my Ginghers. When I managed the fabric dept. Each cutter was given a numered pair. When they left/quit/fired they had to turn them in or lose thrir last pay check. The scissor sharpener came once a year to the store to sharpen scissors for help (free) or customers. When we clised my boss gave me moist of the scissors. So I have bout 8 to 10 pair. Back then I was a garment sewer not a quilter. My family knew hands off the silver scissors. Junk scissors had colored handles and were ok to use.
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I have Ginghers and I have Fiskers and I was pretty happy with them until I bought a pair of Kais! Wow, what a difference! My son, the professional chef, only uses Japanese made knives and Kai scissors are made in Japan. They will cut through many layers like butter. I ordered directly from the company with free shipping.
                        Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

I'm a Gingher girl for my large scissors. I've had mine for 30 years or better. I have the smaller ones too and the thread snippers. They all still cut beautifully. I like them because the blades can be sharpened if needed, but I don't think I have ever had to sharpen them.
                          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

My sister is left handed and was having a terrible time cutting anything. I bought her a Gingers Left handed scissors and it has made a world of difference to her. Her cutting has improved so much you wouldn't know it was the same person cutting. So if you have a left handed person who is trying their best with a right handed scissors spend the extra and get them a Gingers. She will be forever grateful.

Comment

I am left handed and splurged on a pair of left hand Ginghers a number of years ago. They are very good, but after a lifetime of using right handed scissors, it took some retraining to use a true left hand scissors.

Although the Ginghers are very good quality and work very well, I would still recommend Kai as the top-of-the-line, absolute best. They are reasonably priced and with free shipping. I think I got mine during a sale and the price was even better. I had never heard of the Kai brand until I read this forum. Just another thing I have learned from the wise folks here!

Comment

Working...
                              X