Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Your stash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Your stash.

SEW.........I have had this discussion with Myself and my DH. I KNOW I have so much, maybe more than I can use, have committed to using my "stash" before I buy any more fabric. AND THEN, some great deal comes along, a new and beautiful fabric (to me), or a new pattern I want to make ( I give MOST of my quilts away to family or to charity) and I am DONE! I have many UFOs to complete and MANY beautiful fabrics to use, and I just can't help myself. DH tells me, "as long as you are going to use it, get it". How can I not get 'that perfect fabric'? Monique, I agree with you. My family knows how MUCH I love quilting/sewing...I believe they will find good homes for my STASH and for my machines.
    Last edited by cv quilter; January 26, 2018, 04:55 PM.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I'm not buying as much as I have in the past, so that's good. I have plenty of fabric to play with and for those pieces I need, I feel no qualms about buying it.

I've seen several husbands and adult children come to our church with garbage bags full of fabric and notions after their wife/mother has passed away. We all pour our love out and congratulate them for tackling the hard task of going through her possessions/house. And we squeal with delight over the gift of the fabric. It really makes the donors happy to see that their mom's things are going to someone who loves the craft as she did and it will be used for a good cause.

So I know what's left of my stash will be put to good use after I'm gone.

Comment

My stash is my happy place, where I can shop and plan whenever I please. I refuse to feel any guilt over it, and yes, I still buy fabric occasionally when I see something I love, or find I need a certain color to complete my idea. My DH is a total enabler too. Can I use it up? No way! Don't really care - guess the elephant in the room is my best friend.
        sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

I have zero guilt over my stash, or anything else related to my quilting and crafting. It is the THE thing, that brings me joy. (other than my family). I give many quilts and pillowcases away...some I make, and more that, are the ones others have made for me, for that specific purpose. I have tops, and fabric that our wonderful forum members have given me, just for the charitable things I am involved in. I make stuff to sell at 3 or 4 craft shows a year, and even take the occasional special order for something. If you could see the joy, and pride on my DH's face as I sit at my machine, and create something out of a piece of fabric...no other explanation is needed.
          As far as what will happen to it, when I leave this world. WELL, my youngest DGD has claimed EVERYTHING!!!..But what she doesn't take, I am sure my DD will make sure it goes to someone, that will use it for good...to warm a sick or wounded child, to comfort an elderly person, or a person that has been diagnosed with a terrible illness...a cop to carry in his car for a scared child....it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't go in the trash. She knows that is what is important to me.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

I love reading what everybody has to say on this topic. Me, I don't have a big stash. My sewing room has one half of a closet for storage plus a medium sized book shelf. I have 2-3 copy paper boxes of fabric plus about 50 charm packs. If I buy too much it really bothers me. I do not want so much that it spills out into other rooms or in stacks on the floor. I have a brother who is an actual hoarder so I think that affects my desire to keep my stash small. (If you have ever seen the inside of a hoarder's house you would understand. Yes it is every bit as bad as the shows you see on TV.) My dd knows how to quilt but doesn't really have the time, although she loves going to quilt shows with me. I have tried to teach her that some of my supplies are more valuable than others like my $100 T.J.Lane thimble and my Creative Grid rulers, so hopefully when I die she will remember this and hang onto those items to remember her dear old Mom or to use herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
              Got to live to be 213.
              That's my plan.!

Seriously, though, I do have more than I will ever use. I am really trying to not add anymore to it. Trying. I hope to retire in a little less than 2 years now, and hope to have lots of years ahead to use up the stash that I won't be able to afford once my income is cut so severely. In addition, I keep my cousin supplied in fabric for COC's and other charity quilts (she calls them Blessing Quilts) and pillowcases and pillowcase dresses that are donated to charity. My oldest DD seems to have an interest in quilting - but hasn't tried it yet. I do have two little cousins (my cousins granddaughters), one is ten and she already sews and has made some quilts and her little sister can't wait until she is old enough. Both already have their own vintage machines, so they will have first dibs. What is left - my kids can donate as they please.
              Donna

Comment

My great aunt died when I was about 10 and I was the only person in her extended family (she was an old spinster with 8 nephews and 15 grandnephews) who was somewhat craftsy ( I liked counted cross stitch). I don't remember if I claimed it or some of the adults decided I deserved to inherit her gigantic yarn stash (she knitted and embroidered a lot). I am not done yet after 30+ years with all of it but every time I pull out some thread for a project it reminds me of her. I don't have kids but my 7 y.o. niece is starting to be hooked with sewing and embroiding and hopefully she will stick to it and inherit my stash and machines in a far future.

Comment

Most of my stash is fabric from the 70s that my mother bought on sale for that perfect outfit. I was gifted it since she doesn't sew that much anymore. It is not what I like to sew with, but this is my year to try to use up large chunks. After cleaning her house after a flood, I originally tried to help her sew a bunch of baby blankets to use up the bolts of flannel she had, and panels she had purchased for books. I gave up when I realized she was just buying more and storing it for later. I don't buy as much anymore because I know the designers will always come up with something new that I like more. I made a deal with myself to create one scrappy quilt for every quilt I make with fabrics that I have purchased,
                  Karen
                  Spring, TX

Comment

I feel so blessed to have this love of sewing and quilting and enough income to purchase beautiful fabrics and useful supplies to make it all happen. And so blessed to live in a age where inspiration is literally at my fingertips through so many internet resources. My hobby sustains my spirit and lifts me up every single day whether it is through gazing at what is on my design wall needing more work still or looking at a group of fabrics I've pulled to organize for a new project. I feel so sorry for people who have no hobbies or interests and just stare at horrible tv all day! Their minds and their bodies are slowly but surely rotting away. How sad that their life is not productive at a time when they -- finally --- have so many hours to fulfil their creative dreams. I refuse to feel guilty or worry about what will happen to my stash and sewing tools. Should a woodworker feel guilty? How about a painter or an avid gardener? Sounds a little bit defiant, but, seriously, after all I have been through in life I deserve this and by golly I'm going to treasure every minute and every yard of fabric. Thanks to all for the validation of our love of our hobby. Isn't it wonderful? And thanks for the suggestions to write out resources that could accept donations when the inevitable happens. That's smart planning and we should all take the time to do this. And to those of you who worry about loved ones having to donate your stuff - would you worry if your will specified a charity that should get a gift from your estate? No. Of course not. Should you go ahead and sell your house, furniture and clothes so there is nothing for them to take care of? Don't be silly. I'm not going to tell someone how to live their life because maybe there is some satisfaction for them in dwelling on the negative. But having grown up with a very negative parent who couldn't enjoy anything, I vowed that would not be me and I would try to spread the joy around. So now I make a lot of quilts to donate to various groups. And that is where some of that stash is going. Now go pet some fabric and turn on the sewing machine, people, time's a wasting!

Comment

Hahahaha! This was fun to read!
                      I probably have a 100 year stash!
                      Love it and enjoy it immensely!
                      So happy when I can just go through my stash and find that perfect shade of blue or whatever I need to finish something off.
                      No guilt here! It can always be donated somewhere.
                      I find it amusing as we Quilters are described as hoarders or addicts.
                      We are actually preppers, artists and craftsmen. Prepping for retirement years, creating beautiful art, and continuing a wonderful craft! We just have addictive and hoarding tendencies . Which is just fine with me!!
                      Happy Quilting!

Comment

Elephant? What elephant?
                        Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

I had to laugh at some responses. Yes I too have to live to live to213 to use my stash, but I also like the idea of thinking it is my stash for my retirement in a couple of years from nursing. want to work part time doing something fun after that, like in a quilting store. i would not say I am a hoarder, because it is all on one wall and does not obstruct my sewing room, which is beautiful, a gift that my husband gave me when I graduated from grad school. He took down a wall between two rooms to give me my sewing studio of my dreams. I like the statement if you live to 65 your likely to live to 85, don't know the science validity of that but sounds good and hope that God has that in store for me. Since I just got a Destiny 2, I did tell my husband if something happens to me to sell the machine, but cause it is so expensive. God willing I will get good use of everything I have and bring some joy to others in the process.
                          Mary Jo:icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                            DH recently called me a sewing hoarder, and then I showed him some pictures on this forum of other's fabric stashes (I won't name names), and he changed his mind, laughed, and told me I needed to get busy shopping!

So, No, I don't think I'm even a border line hoarder, although I know I'll never out live my stash, but do believe when I retire and am on a fixed budget, then I'll be able to continue quilting without busting the budget.

He also once asked me, if anything were to happen to me, what did I want him to do with my sewing things. I told him that on my bulletin board was a note for him and my former DIL regarding that. It lists several people with contact information to offer the stuff to, this includes my fabrics, notions, and even my beloved vintage Singer. At the bottom of the list is also a couple of Quilting Guilds he can contact, followed by permission to donate everything to a specific local charitable thrift store.
                            Caroline. I like your plan. That could work for me. I know that DH would keep what he thinks he will use and then follow my requests. Thanks. Suzanne
                            Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
                              Hi Monique,
                              I have always included my sewing machines and all its contents to my daughter in my real wills, since I have been sewing since I am 10. However since I retired, and took up quilting, my DH also took up quilting, and has bought many machines and his own fabric. So he has a more realistic value of my stash and sewing room. He may want to keep much of it, but works so much slower than me and would never use it up. My DD and DIL and grandkids don't quilt as they are all at a busy young age. My hope is to tech the GK to see and quilt so they can take over both my stash and DH stash.
                              Suzanne

Comment

Originally posted by JulieC View Post
                                One of my sisters and I had this discussion on Sunday. When I first started quilting, I wanted to keep my stash small, just in case I decided I didn't like, or stopped, quilting for some reason. I didn't want a huge investment in fabric that would go to waste. Also, my sister told me that I had better not leave her with a huge stash if I go first! Now I don't worry about it. My stash is my stash. I already told my sister that I want my stash donated to Snuggled in Hope Quilts (http://www.snuggledinhopequilts.com). I'm going to leave a note with the stash and attach a codicil to my will. If I die before I can use it all, at least it will go to a good cause. Problem solved.
                                Hi Julie, I am glad that my post may have got some people thinking, not only about their fabric stashes and sewing rooms, but the whole of their homes. I am in my early sixties and lost 2 friends in their 50s who were hobbyists. Their kids were not interested in their mom's hobbies, and so the husbands both just loaded to garbage, not even goodwill. I wish I had known, but by then all was gone, even the items and books that I had lent them. Also in past 6 months, I have 2 friends whose moms assed and another who is moving to senior residence. All of the moms/dads wanted the GK to have their stuff and none were interested as they already have homes and we'll set up. So to goodwill their beautiful furniture and dishes, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X