Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a quick pattern for lots of left over strips,squares and rectanges - crib size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a quick pattern for lots of left over strips,squares and rectanges - crib size

Does anyone know of a pattern I could use for a crib size or maybe a little smaller that I could use up the left over fabric from a quilt I made for my great nephew. His new baby brother that is two months old loves the colors and seems to enjoy laying on it. So I thought that's a good way for me to use up the fabric. I have some large pieces as well, but I've got quite a few pieces of 2 inch trips of various sizes and some small squares. Here is the big brother quilt.
    Farm blanket.jpg

Re: Need a quick pattern for lots of left over strips,squares and rectanges - crib size

When I was a teenager, my aunt would cut up old cotton sheets in 6 inch squares then we would just start sewing strips of fabric cut from old clothes until we covered the block, then we would turn it over and trim the edges even with the sheet square.

You could do the same using muslin squares and just start sewing all different shapes to the squares. Afterwards for quilting you could use some of those decorative stitches over the seams. Ta Da - crazy quilt!
    Vonnie

Comment

Re: Need a quick pattern for lots of left over strips,squares and rectanges - crib size

What about cutting into strips and alternating blocks? You could do something similar to rail fence, and just make it a bit scrappy.

Comment

Vonnie, I love that idea - just don't know about the quilting part. I rent a LA from a LQS and I've only done edge to edge either meandering or used the laser pantograph side. I really want to learn how to free style, but I'm intimidated by the idea. I know I just need to bite the bullet and go for it!

Comment

KarenC - I have been leaning towards that. Maybe some rail fence, alternated with 4 patch and then squares cut of the larger pieces I have that would be the same size as the rail fence and 4 patch. It'll be really scrappy, which the big brothers is to an extent with the log cabin and all those different fabrics. Thanks!

Comment

With lots of strips, I would suggest you try looking at the cutting corners. Its fast, easy and any strips will work. Then you could use the bigger pieces you have left for the rest of the hst.

Comment

http://www.kitchentablequilting.com/...-tutorial.html
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Check out the Urban Cabin quilt block by Atkinson Designs. M* says it carrys it. It has a more solid version and a stripy version. I made the stripy version. The block is pretty good size.
                Attached Files
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

toggpine - this is cute. I wonder if it's in a Block magazine or tutorial?

Comment

Sorry to be ignorant - but is cutting corners a pattern?

Comment

Here is the tutorial for Jenny's cutting corners quilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05OwI46u1oY
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Two ideas:
                        Square in a square uses squares and strips and looks nice. Your longer strips could be sashing.

A log cabin using one of the squares then using lights on one half and dark on the other would also work. There are a lot of variations and some use different width strips.
                        Have fun!

Comment

The 4x4, today's tutorial would be a good one to use.
                          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

If you're wanting to use strips only, or you want to cut some of your own scraps, Bonnie Hunter's "Carolina Chain" is a great way to use up scraps. You can view the quilt in my albums. If you chain piece using Bonnie's method, the pieces actually go together pretty fast. You can view her technique on one of her YT videos.

Comment

There are two tutorials by the same name, "Cutting Corners." One is by Jenny on M*. The other is by Donna Jordan, at Jordan's fabrics. It can be viewed on their web page or YT. They're totally different patterns. I made Jenny's pattern. I didn't finish all the blocks using Jenny's method; I ended up making some of the blocks just HSTs.

Comment

Working...
                              X