Attic Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attic Window

Well I'm very disappointed in the time, money, sweat and tears I put into this Attic Window. Although Jenny's is perfect, mine is a flop all the way around. I'm telling you nothing turned out right. Nobody's fault but mine. I started off on the wrong foot and got deeper and deeper. I have made several quilts and I can't say this is a beginner's quilt. Only my view point. I will not attempt another try on this, although I did order the same panel thinking I might. But I've had second thoughts on it. To me it's a lot of work. Thanks for listening.
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Attic Window

Is that the one with Santa Claus or the one with the deer?

And I'm sorry things went sideways for you. That's happened to me a couple of times. I have one project that I wanted to get done before Christmas last year. It's still not done. Might never get done!
    Vonnie

Comment

When Jenny shared her Attic Window tutorial, it seemed like a lot of math needed to be figured before you even started. I wondered it it wouldn't be easier to start with a garden scene panel for a first try. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about a deer's head being in the wrong place.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
        Is that the one with Santa Claus or the one with the deer?

And I'm sorry things went sideways for you. That's happened to me a couple of times. I have one project that I wanted to get done before Christmas last year. It's still not done. Might never get done!
        Vonnie, it's the one with the deers. I so love that quilt. Maybe after I calm down and gain some more confidence I may give it another try being more careful. The tutorial looks so easy but don't they all!

Comment

LindaKay.. I didn't get it right until the 3rd panel, Yep messed up first two attempts something awful. But 3rd time was the charm, still had some missteps, but only I can see them right away and not sure my cousin would ever really see them.. And if you lived near me I would come over there and say.............. Wait don't do it that way, it won't work... ask me how I can say things like that !!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by KPH View Post
            When Jenny shared her Attic Window tutorial, it seemed like a lot of math needed to be figured before you even started. I wondered it it wouldn't be easier to start with a garden scene panel for a first try. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about a deer's head being in the wrong place.
            Boy was my deer head in the wrong place It would have made more sense if I'd started with a garden scene panel and may do that later on. I just love panels. Thank you Katrina.

Comment

Originally posted by Mimi_Howard View Post
              LindaKay.. I didn't get it right until the 3rd panel, Yep messed up first two attempts something awful. But 3rd time was the charm, still had some missteps, but only I can see them right away and not sure my cousin would ever really see them.. And if you lived near me I would come over there and say.............. Wait don't do it that way, it won't work... ask me how I can say things like that !!! LOL
              I just received my other deer panel but I'm burned out. I may not try to do it again, although I do know where I went wrong. It's all in the cutting. Is that where your mistakes were? Yes, I too wish you lived next door. I've always heard two heads are better than one.

Comment

OH yes it was the cutting that I messed up on. But on the bright side, those first two messes did beef up my supply of scraps! Used them to try sample blocks to see if I like how a pattern goes together and then free motion quilting practice too. They gave up their life more than one time for me!

Comment

About a year ago, I made an attic window quilt, but used a garden scene panel. It turned out pretty good for a first time. I kept playing Jenny's tutorial over and over and taking notes. I was particularly concerned about how big to cut each window because my panel not as wide as the one with the deer. My biggest mistake (and it was a doozy), was when I cut one window about an inch and a half too short in width. I was going to try to recut it from another panel but tried to sew the strip back on. I used a very narrow seam (almost non-existent). It worked to some extent - the flowers in one area don't match up exactly but once it was quilted, you do not notice it. It won a prize for "Best Use of a Panel" at my quilt guild. Take a break and come back to it and you will have a different opinion of it.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy, thanks for your story. Yes, I think I bit off more than I could chew. It looked so easy though, ha. I'm sure I'll find use for the fabric. I'm going to look for a garden panel now. I'm determined to make an attic window quilt of some kind.

Comment

Ok, while I haven't made an attic window yet, I 've been reading an searching and came up with this game plan:

Most of the panel I've looked at are about 36 x 45 inches. My plan is to use 1 1/2 inch painters tape to simulate the panes (The sashing). After I am happy with the placement, then those are my cut lines. Has anyone tried this? Pls let me know if this will not work. Thx.
                      Diana Grey

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Lady View Post
                        Ok, while I haven't made an attic window yet, I 've been reading an searching and came up with this game plan:

Most of the panel I've looked at are about 36 x 45 inches. My plan is to use 1 1/2 inch painters tape to simulate the panes (The sashing). After I am happy with the placement, then those are my cut lines. Has anyone tried this? Pls let me know if this will not work. Thx.
                        That's an interesting idea. I guess you could use a long ruler for the straight edges. Keeping it all still while you're taping it would be challenging.
                        Katrina
                        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

That is interesting. I hope someone will chime in that has actually done it this way. I just know (from experience) to watch those animals ears! Things will be stretched farther apart by the pane sashings. I will be more careful on my next one (if I do a next one) ...

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Lady View Post

Diana, that is a good theory. And I could try that on another panel. But instead of me messing up on another deer panel, I may just do NO CUTTING on the panel and just frame it. Good images on Pinterest. Thank you for your idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X