Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demos / guest speakers at LQS -- are they all like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demos / guest speakers at LQS -- are they all like this?

One of the LQS had their 37th annual customer appreciation days last week. I attended a free demonstration yesterday; the speaker was Christine Connor of Amelie Scott designs. (She was awesome, by the way.) She demonstrated both the Edge-to-Edge quilting and her new technique, Build-A-Quilt.

The presentation was scheduled for two hours, from 1- 3 pm, but ran until 3:30 pm....mostly because of the infomercials -- in the form of door prizes -- we had to suffer through. Before and after Christine's presentations (there was a break around 2:30 pm) the owner of the shop and a couple of the employees gave spiels about what was being given away; classes coming up; new sewing machines; and some web site they are working on.

I swear we spent more time listening to the in-house spiels than the presentation we were there to see.

Being a new(er) quilter, this was the first time I attended a demonstration. Have you had a similar experience?

Re: Demos / guest speakers at LQS -- are they all like this?

I think it's normal. Even on this small island we get some of those mostly to show off a new embroidery machine. Anita Goodesign has been here a few times and a couple of others. I don't go to them.

Designers endorse sewing machines,like Jenny uses Babylocks
    Last edited by Hulamoon; July 30th, 2017, 12:09 PM.
    sigpic

Lorie

Comment

It's a way for them to advertise. A lot of LQS have a hard time because of internet sales. I have participated in several Saturday Samplers knowing I would have to listen to their spiels.
      Vonnie

Comment

Yep. One LQS here always does that before any class. I have gone to several BOM classes there, and most of the time is spent showing and telling what is new and not so much about the BOM. I'm used to it and sometimes they have a new product or fabric line that I like, but the shop is so small I'd probably find it on my own anyway!

Comment

The 2 classes I took at my LQS were nothing like that. The entire time was devoted to the instructor & our working on our project during the class time. But it was not a guest speaker or show.

Comment

Yes, I think they are all becoming like this. A little bit of knowledge and a lot of what they can sell you.
            Vicki C

Comment

Did you pay to attend? If not, then the guest speaker was there to attract business.

I think a class that you pay for should not make one suject to such informercials, whereas a free event, makes you a captive audiance, so your "payment" in that case is your time. If you do pay to attend a guest speaker, then I should hope their advertsing would be kept to a minimum.

but I don't know. I haven't been to either. I have gone to a couple "all-day" sewing events hosted by a LQS that did cost money to attend, and there was no advertising whatsoever.
              Pieced By Me!

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

As one who owned a small business, sold it 5 yrs ago and still going, I realize the need to keep small businesses in business. I personally do not like to order material on line. I realize some people do not have access to a lot of LQS. That being said I wii always suffer through promotions, class information and what ever else is said so that a small business will stay in business. I personally know of 2 shops in our area that have closed--so sad.

Comment

I've attended several LQS demos, which the owners put on. It is usually a re-cap of their attendance at Quilt Conferences, so they demo new products that are on the market. You can usually purchase these for 10% off. They serve food and drinks, and it's a nice way to socialize with other quilters in the area. They usually charge a $5 fee which is donated to local food bank. The room is always full. This is a way of keeping quilters coming to the store. Many of us order on-line but it's the brick and mortar store that must survive. I have seen too many close and this is not a good thing. It's the personal touch from LQS employees that make quilting a good experience, and often motivation to keep quilting.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

There is a shop near me in Florida that does this. They charge a small amount and you get it back as a store credit. I've never gone. The shop I go to for a free weekly sit and sew gets a lot of business from me since I'm surrounded by their stuff and can see what others have purchased or are happy with.
                    I went to a 'class' last week for the first time at a shop. It really wasn't much of a class. I was the only participant. The teacher sat at the only cutting table and put her handwork project all over it and chatted with/at me while I was trying to concentrate (or cut accurately on the low table available). She sold me an interfacing that wasn't suitable and didn't offer to take it back. It seemed like she really just wanted to sell me lots of thread, better needles etc. The last straw was when she turned off the fan, saying that the noise was bothering her without asking me as I melted into a puddle. I made up an excuse on the spot and hightailed it out of there 45 minutes early. Lesson learned all right. I'll still shop there since I love the selection but I'll never take a class there. I'll stick to the one shop where they really know how to teach.

Comment

Speakers get paid for doing their demos or speaking engagements. The shop usually pays a speaker fee, plus their travel & lodging expenses. Sounds like this shop also spent money on door prizes for the lucky winners too.

Agree with the others that the "infomercials" are a way to get customers back into the store to recoup some of the financial investment they made. Every FREE event I've gone to has done this type of advertising.

Now when I've paid to hear a speaker or see a demo the shop may have a class schedule available if you want to pick one up or give you a discount coupon for a future purchase with no other advertising. But then the least I've paid is $25 for an auditorium lecture-only setting and the most was $120 for an in-shop full-project 2 1/2 hr demo where there were only 10 allowed per session.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X