Copyright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copyright

How do I copyright my quilt patterns? I have designed many and I want to protect them.

Re: Copyright

Deb, you may have to check locally as to what Iceland's copyright laws are. If you are going to publish them, I believe (not up on the legalese) you can simply watermark them with a copyright symbol and your name.

Do we have any attorneys here? Julie??????
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

...let me trot out my law degree...lol, funny thing is I actually have one for what it is worth.

The laws appertaining to copyright are quite specific to each country and also depend on whether your country is signed up to the international agreement so as Sandy has said you would need to check locally. In Australia everything you produce is automatically copyrighted and anything you print/produce for sale, i.e. a pattern should have your name and a date on it, the date being when it was first done. This is important as it gives you an origin point if anyone contests your copyright, they would have to prove they had done the same at an earlier date, it can be quite complicated.

One thing to remember is that if you put it on the internet, you may still have the copyright and can ask people to respect that but the reality is that it becomes a free for all as we really don't have the ability to enforce laws across jurisdictions and how would you know it had been stolen anyway in most cases.

You may have noticed that some of our members have 'watermarks' added to their photos of their quilts, this is also a good idea, at least if anyone uses your photo it will have your name on it.
      Last edited by Dragonfly; January 11th, 2012, 04:19 PM. Reason: Added a bit
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Quilt patterns would be hard to protect, but not to copyright. International copyright can be achieved by printing your pattern out, putting it in an evvelope and posting it to yourself. Do not open the envelope when it arrives, simply file it. Mark on the back of the envelope the pattern and date you posted it. Inside on the pattern write the name and date it was first made and sign it. Some people get their signature witnessed but that is not strictly necessary.

Having said all of that, it is almost impossible to protect your intelectual property rights to your patterns, especially if you are going to publish them online. Watermark them......that will help. Put a statement on your site that you own the intelectual rights, please do not copy and present as your own etc etc. However, if someone were to do so it would be very hard to get redress. You could go through the courts etc which would be incredably expensive, especially internationally. In addition................sorry about this..... unless you have developed a totally new block, never seen or tried by anyone else ever you may not own the complete intelectual property of the pattern. Of the concept, arrangement of the blocks..........maybe the applique shapes if you have drawn them yourself and they are totally origional...yep you would own the IP of that.

Ok dragonfly also said it but better than me lol

As you can see it is a very complicated subject and i freely admit not my area.....i am a criminal lawyer..... but if i can drag up all of this from a 30 year old lecture, with only occasional conversations on the subject sinse, imagine what an expert could do!!!!! lol

Having said all of that if you want to share your patterns and just want credit for the design then publish on the net and ask for credit. If you are selling the patterns, you really should speak to a publishing lawyer.

i KNOW i havent really helped...............sorry. But copyright and IP is notoriously complicated
        Last edited by Divine Daisy; January 11th, 2012, 04:22 PM.
        Blog
        http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I had a discussion about this with a lawyer friend not long ago. He advised copyrighting things as Dragonfly described but added that, in reality, if somebody photocopies your pattern or sends someone a copy of an electronic version then there would be no feasible way of prosecuting them. If you took them to court they would only be liable to pay the price of the pattern so unless they're wholesaling it you aren't going to gain anything.

Unfortunately, it happens all the time. For example, the owner of the quilt shop I work in writes her own patterns for classes and sale. A customer came in and said (apologetically) that she had signed up for a class at another LQS because she had fallen in love with the project. When she got out the requirements to shop for fabric we realised it was one of our patterns, complete with the owner's initials on every page! You would think they would at least tippex them out before photocopying them.

We now put the name of the shop diagonally across all pages as a watermark to show where they come from. It's quite effective and worth considering.
          Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

How do you put a watermark on your pictures?
            Patrice

Comment

Jill I have seen this happen here as well, when it was pointed out to the customer she was both embarrassed and angry, I believe she went back to the other store and told them what she thought and good for her, she honestly hadn't realised.

Can I just add that for those of us who do teach, if you are selling patterns it is lovely if you include clear contact details, such as an email address. I had cause to enquire about a copyright permission for a pattern I had been requested to teach and was not able to contact the owner. In the end I told the ladies that each person would need purchase an original pattern and I would teach the how to for it. That way the pattern owner was not compromised but they still had someone to show them how to do it.

I take copyright very seriously from both sides, both as a user of patterns and as a writer of patterns, theft is theft no matter what the item is.
              Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrice View Post
                Thanks for all your help. But I am also wondering, how do you watermark your pictures? I just entered a name and date as a text on my pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrice View Post
                  Originally posted by Deb Bennett-Jónsson View Post
                  Thanks for all your help. But I am also wondering, how do you watermark your pictures? I just entered a name and date as a text on my pictures.
                  Here is an easy website that can watermark your photos for you!

http://picmarkr.com/

I do mine myself with a custom watermark I made in Photoshop but if you aren't that fancy use the website since it'll put a simple one on there.
                  Katie's Quilting Corner
                  Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
                  Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X