Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Star Banner

bluestarbanner.jpg

Except for a little bit of slip stitching in the lower right corner, this project is done and, best part, only took me about an hour. He doesn't know it yet, but DH is going to be helping me with the dowel that will be used to hang it. A Blue Star Banner can be hung in the window of any home that has a relative serving in the military. Thursday is the birthday of a dear friend, whose son is serving in Afghanistan. I saw this online Sunday and I knew I needed to make this.

It is also the last sewing project I'll be doing for awhile. My friend's sewing machine had to go back to her, and my sewing machine came back from the shop today, where they were unable to do anything with it. They recommended someone called The Sewing Machine Doctor to see if he can fix it. Fingers crossed.
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Re: Blue Star Banner

Beautiful banner. I have two sons serving in the military in Canada. I hope your machine can be fixed. Good luck.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Very striking and beautifully pieced, I am sure your friend will find it a very thoughtful gift

Comment

Beautiful Banner! I have a son that recently returned from Afghanistan and I also have one of these hanging in my front window. I am going to start making these for each of his buddies to have for their families as well. I am going to use my embroidery machine and put their name and rank on the top..with the service they are in, then on the bottom put the time spent overseas and the name of the project..such as my son was in Top: (Spc. Daniel James Schantz) (U.S. Army) Bottom: (Operation Enduring Freedom) (May 2010-May 2011)
        The Men are our new Veterans of foreign wars and they all need to be recognized as well as thier families for the sacrifices they are giving for us. I will post my pic also once finished..thank you so much for sharing yours Meli

Comment

Meli, I had never heard of this banner. Thank you so much for sharing. Such a thoughtful gift.

Let me know in a private message some information about your machine and I'll use some of my resources here to see if we can at least find parts for you. Do you have pictures of the gears that are involved? That would help. Model # and Serial #, too. I've repaired many a machine . . .
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Luvngrammy, what a great idea! I think I'll make a quilting label for the back that has that information. And, once I'm up and running again, I'll make one for my house. I had thought about putting all that information on it, now I know for certain I will. Just wish I'd stumbled across this -- and had the inclination -- around the time he deployed! But the good news is we can continue to use the banners as long as he's actively serving.
            If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Comment

VERY nice! I made one when DH was in Bosnia and then lent it to a friend when he DH went to Iraq - never got it back. I need to make another while Odie is in. Thanks for the reminder.

Hugs,
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
              http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
              http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

This is a wonderful banner and a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.
                ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Very nice indeed, STRIKING in fact!
                  Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.-Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Working...
                  X