Last call, I have to make my choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last call, I have to make my choice

This is the last time I ask about it; I have to make a choice and I'm bothered between 2 models, Juki TL 2010Q or Brother PQ1500? I know the Juki but someone owns the Brother 1500?
    Carmen

Re: Last call, I have to make my choice

I am watching the feedback as I am shopping, too.

Comment

I think Shirley aka Buckeye Quilter had/has the Brother.
      K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Comment

Does the Juki have decorative stitches? I like them so that would sway my choice.
        sigpic

Lorie

Comment

Both of those machines are straight stitch only. I have a Juki and absolutely love it!! I know there is a slight difference, and if I were you, I'd call a shop, you can probably find one on line and call them, and ask the difference between the two. I can't remember what it is, but I have actually seen both machines side by side at a paper piecing class and it seems it might be the automatic thread cutter was not on the Brother. That was a few years ago and they may have changed that. Or maybe the innards are plastic? I called and talked to a dealer about them, but it was so long ago I can't remember, but whatever he told me convinced me to get the Juki.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Take a look...

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Sa2h5X7wg

Comment

I have the Brother and really like it. No fancy stiches, not even zigzag but it is great for piecing and quilting. Hardly ever need to use walking foot for sewing on binding or stitch in the ditch . Very easy to adjust thread tension for free motion quilting. The machine is heavy, not one to lug to class. Mine has a needle threader which I dont use and a thread cutter that I use sometimes. Fabric feeds thru very evenly - i can do straight seams !
              Is there some where you could test drive the two machines?.
              "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
              Hillary Clinton

Comment

I wish you could test both and compare. I LOVE my Juki. I have had her four years now and have never had a moment of trouble. She is a no-nonsense, let's-get-down-to-business-and-have-some-fun kind of girl. Whichever one you choose, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Good luck! I am looking forward to hearing about your choice.
                Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
                "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

I LOVE my Juki. I shopped for years before I made a choice. I have not had to even touch the tension even though I enjoy using different thread now and again. I have never even used the walking foot because she sees through many layers like butter. I have a Janome for the fancy stuff, but I spend most of my time using the Juki.

Comment

Sorry to throw a wrench in it but have you checked out the Singer S16? It has all the same features as those you are looking at but less money. I have the S16 myself as do a number of people on here and I Love mine! It's heavy duty, sews through everything and is a very fast workhorse. It doesn't appear to be available on Singer site anymore but is available through Amazon. I only paid $400 for mine last year. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAYDYE0/?tag=singercom-20
                    I am Sew Blessed!
                    Alina

Comment

I had a Brother 1500, and got the Juki 2010.
                      The Brother has more feet, the Juki does come with a walking foot, but it has NO room for a guide if you use one. Juki's idea of a 1/4" foot was a compensating foot. You would have to get aftermarket unless Juki's changed the feet.

The Brother has 4 Feed dog positions. Up, Down, Pin, and halfway. I remember having to fix it since the dealer didn't.

The Juki has a speed control. You can set how fast or slow you stitch. The Juki also has a thread cutter in the foot pedal. Takes some getting used to.

A Juki 2010 would be a tight fit, but would fit into a standard cabinet. The bobbin cover lifts straight up by the needle. The door for the bobbin cover was in the way with the Brother. I took it off. With the bobbin cover lifting straight up, a Supreme Slider can be a problem as you will need to pick it up on the left of the needle to change the bobbin. The Brother is more conventional but to the side rather than the front. The Brother table has a door to accommodate changing the bobbin. If you use a Sew Steady table, you would probably have to move the table to change the bobbin. The Juki you wouldn't have to move the table.

The Juki has a bit of extra threading to take the twists out of thread?

Of the two, I prefer the Juki.

I'd go look at the manuals for both online. The manuals are free.
                      Last edited by Alpha O; March 9th, 2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I second Alina's comment regarding the Singer S16 Studio machine. I was planning to buy either the Brother or the Juki and read a comment here from someone who already had the S16. Got a great deal on it from Singer.

Added bonus, many of the Janome 1600 feet (and the extension table) work with it.
                        Liz

Comment

The Juki does not come with a 'real' 1/4" foot, but you can get a generic one cheaply - got mine for (I think) $18. There are also many other generic high shank feet that work for the Juki, a real plus if you like to sew purses and bags, garments, and home decor. I got a set of compensating feet of various sizes, and my topstitching has never looked so professional for example. Also, you almost never ever need the walking foot because this motor just rocks along no matter what, so the guide issue may or may not be an issue for you. I bought the Janome stitch in the ditch foot, which fits and is a dream to use for SITD. Also, if you want to use a guide for more precise lines, there is always blue painter's tape or my new source of fun, ruler work. Juki has recently issued its own OEM ruler foot, but I had already bought the Westalee foot, so I can't comment on it. Also Juki issued a new 1/4" foot when the 2200mini came out. I don't need it because I already have a foot I like, but it's out there if you want to pay OEM prices. I love the speed controller and the thread cutter on this machine. Along with the knee lifter, it makes piecing, and chain piecing, a breeze.

I have found that you do not need the special needles despite what the manual says. The regular HAx1 needles work fine. The only time I sprang for the more expensive HLx5 needles was to sew slipcovers for my sofa from a fairly heavy canvas duck. This was because I wanted to be able to sew fast on this heavy fabric. If you are a speed demon, you might want to consider the HLx5 needles, but I would see how it goes for you with the HAx1 needles first.

Comment

Test drove the Juki 2200 TL QVP mini and I am in love!! Cannot wait to hear your decision.

Comment

I'll throw another consideration into the mix....I test drove the Juki TL-2200Qi Mini - 9" Long-Arm Sewing & Quilting Machine and the Brother PQ1500SL, plus the Baby Lock Jazz. I purchased the Jazz. What sold me was the 12 inch throat space, the walking foot, the clear extension table, the bobbin load, the way the Jazz threads versus the others and the extra stitches you can choose. The price range was about the same; Baby Lock is running quite the special in the Month of March!!!!!
                              Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X