Classes to learn about your sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classes to learn about your sewing machine

Hi all, hope your day has started off good. I was wanting opinions about this. I bought my sewing machine at a local sewing machine center and they are asking a fee to show me how to use the new machine. I may be wrong, but I thought that lesson should be a courtesy 'thank you' for being a customer. I think I will skip on paying $30 for a class when I can find instructions on the internet. Am I wrong in my way of thinking? Tell me what you think.
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Classes to learn about your sewing machine

That's not very nice of them. I would skip it too and to straight to You Tube.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I wouldn't either, you know they made more than $30 on your purchase! I don't know what u have but I have a babylock and there are lots of free tutorials on line. Good luck!

Comment

I know one in my state that charges to use their machines...mainly the long arms, but not for a regular new machine. I would check with manufacturer...this could be a rip off.
        sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Comment

I think that is pretty cheap of the store charging you a fee for instructions on a machine you purchased from them. I am wondering is it just for instructions or they providing you materials ? maybe lunch? I could understand if you brought in a machine that you didn't purchase and ask for help .
          Teresa
          Pelham, Alabama
          War Eagle!!!

Comment

It's just for a lesson to teach you how to use your new machine. My machine is not a fancy complicated machine so I think I will skip their offer. I can't imagine anyone paying for a lesson when you purchased the machine from them no matter what kind of machine you bought. I'm glad I'm thinking the same as you are.
            sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

I bought my BabyLock Sophia 2 at my local quilt shop. They offer FREE lessons anytime. All I've had to do is call and schedule. This if offered Monday-Saturday. Don't pay for lessons. As someone already mentioned, BabyLock has many tutorials on line. Pretty nervy of them to charge for something you bought from them!

Comment

Was it a new machine? My LQS only provides free classes on new machines purchased at the LQS.

If it's not all that complicated, then I would skip the class for a while and play with the machine myself. If you have questions or troubles and can't find it on the internet, then I'd consider taking the class.

Congratulations on the machine! Hope you have lots of fun with it.

Comment

There are free classes over at Craftsy.com just search for "Sewing Machine" and it will bring them up.
                  Vonnie

Comment

When I got my machine, I was offered free training classes. Skip the payment. You Tube it!

Comment

Skip the class and check out you tube.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Blooming cheeky if you ask me. I'd feel like telling them to stick their machine where the sun doesn't shine. But, as you've actually done the deal, congratulations and enjoy it. Like the others have said, there are plenty of online places to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                          There are free classes over at Craftsy.com just search for "Sewing Machine" and it will bring them up.
                          Thanks for the info Vonnie. I've had my J6600 for 8 yrs now. Was offered nothing. Kathy
                          All quilts cat tested and approved.
                          sigpic

Comment

Go the UTube route, and let the dealer you bought from know that you will be writing a review on their store. and also letting other quilters/sewers you know about this practice. That is a horrible way to do business. Word of Mouth is a powerful expression of both good and bad service/policies. My dealer gives free lessons for life on any machine bought in their store. Shame on your shop.
                            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I would skip the class and save the $30 for fabric. ��
                              Janet

"You cannot use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have."

Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                              X