Baby Lock Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Lock Jazz

Does anyone own or know anything about the BabyLock Jazz?? Looked at one today. Loved the throat space, but I love my present machine ( Singer Quilter Confidence ). Price is almost too good to be true ($1100 ). Has few whistles and bells. Trying to figure out if it's worth it.
    sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Re: Baby Lock Jazz

Looking at its' specifications it doesn't look as though you can adjust the presser foot pressure and doesn't have a programmable needle up/needle down function? I really like those two options when I'm quilting and piecing....each to his own of course.

Comment

I noticed it doesn't come with a walking foot. If that is important, you might want to ask what the price of one will be?

Jeannette

Comment

Didn't notice that, but you're right...it doesn't. Thanks, one more minus!

Comment

It doesn't. The lady said my foot "should" fit it. I also have a ruler foot and extension table on my machine. Plus a lot of bobbins since I thread paint on my machine too.

Comment

I went to a dealer to see one, and they didn't have it. They did point me to the Babylocks they did have, and I noticed while the needle to pillar [throat] space was listed as bigger on the jazz [in the specs], most of the simular Babylocks have a short bed to upper arm [or height] space. So I asked if the Jazz had a simular throat height, and they said yes. I didn't like it. My favorite Viking [21a named Victor] may only be 8 inches wide, but it has 6 inches in height, and I don't want to go shorter, even if it is longer. I have another Viking [Emerald] that is only 5 inches in throat height, and I find it hard to see what I am doing.
            I don't care about needle down, although Emmy has it, and 'fix' which gives you a starter knot, and all the other little tricks Emmy does, if the throat space is less than what I already have, in any direction. Emmy was only purchased for her fancy stitches, which she does do beautifully, but I can't fully enjoy her without being able to see what I'm doing. I am getting my money's worth from her, though, cuz I bought her second hand.
            So my point is, try the machine out. Sit down, and see if there is any annoyance at all, because anything you don't like now, will only bug you more after you take it home. Be picky! It's your money, so hang on to it until you find one you love everything about it.
            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I was ready to buy the Jazz in December. I loved the throat space. I sat with it for 2 hours and kept getting bad bobbin tension on their demonstrator. They told me so many people played with it that that was probably the problem and that when I had it at home I would figure where it would be set. They had one that had been traded in only 30 days old and they offered it to me for $899. I told them to go get it and let me sit with it for a while. Well, it was even worse. The store owner came and tried for over an hour to adjust the tension. Then she said, she would sell me one "new in box" for the same price. I said, lets sew on it. More frustration over the tension setting. I finally told her that I was not mechanical and that the machine would not work for me. At that point I had spent over 6 hours in her store. I told her I thought I would just buy the Viking 960Q that had the 10 inch throat if she would sell me the demo model that I had been sewing on and throw in a sew easy table. Deal done. I couldn't make the Jazz work eventhough, I really wanted it to.

Comment

My Babylock dealer is not impressed with this machine. I can't believe they didn't put needle down on the machine. I too was impressed by the throat width, but I'm not buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                  I was ready to buy the Jazz in December. I loved the throat space. said, lets sew on itI sat with it for 2 hours and kept getting bad bobbin tension on their demonstrator. They told me so many people played with it that that was probably the problem and that when I had it at home I would figure where it would be set. They had one that had been traded in only 30 days old and they offered it to me for $899. I told them to go get it and let me sit with it for a while. Well, it was even worse. The store owner came and tried for over an hour to adjust the tension. Then she said, she would sell me one "new in box" for the same price. I . More frustration over the tension setting. I finally told her that I was not mechanical and that the machine would not work for me. At that point I had spent over 6 hours in her store. I told her I thought I would just buy the Viking 960Q that had the 10 inch throat if she would sell me the demo model that I had been sewing on and throw in a sew easy table. Deal done. I couldn't make the Jazz work eventhough, I really wanted it to.
                  WOW! The demonstrator was having a problem with the tension on the one I saw. She finally said " Well you know what I mean" and went on with something else on the machine.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I wasn't really sold on this machine and I'm glad I came on here.I think it falls under the " If it sounds too good to be true, It probably is" category. I'm staying with my Singer. She's done everything I've asked. I've quilted Cal Kings on her.
                    I haven't logged into this site for a while and I see what I've been missing. Sure beats all the nonsense on FB. I'm back!!!!

Comment

I know you switched gears, and aren't looking to purchase a Jazz, any more, but I thought you might like to see Jenny using one.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land...m_term=qt_t162
                      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I realize this post is late on this topic, but I just bought a Jazz last weekend. I fell in love with it when it was first introduced, but thought the price was rather high for a mechanical machine. For me, the large bed is the greatest innovation in the sewing industry in years, and I'm tired of computerized machines that, if the computer fails, the parts aren't available to fix them, and they are totally useless without the computer. You would think they would build them so they could still be used without all the bells and whistles, but that idea negates planned obsolescence (and certainly profits).

I have 2 Viking machines, and although I love the embroidery, I think they produce a poor straight stitch. The feed dogs move sideways to produce the 30 mm stitches, so the fabric feeds a little wonky resulting in a not-so-straight stitch. This Babylock produces a beautiful straight stitch. I've been testing all the stitches, but I keep going back to the straight stitch. It makes me happy.

I got an excellent price for the machine, almost half msrp. In my experience, that usually means either the machine will soon be discontinued, or the dealer may be closing the store. My "local" (far to me) Babylock dealer passed away suddenly in March, and her adult children, who were not involved in the business previously, decided to keep the business going. Since this is the only Babylock dealership in the area and the best of any brand as far as education and events are concerned, I pray the kids are able to continue the success of the business as a tribute to their wonderful mom, Barb. Any positive thoughts or prayers for them certainly can't hurt.

As for the feet, the generic even feed foot that I have from an old mechanical machine fits just fine and works well.

I am in the beginning stages of a quilt, starching the fabric, cutting, and all the other prep involved. It's a Batman quilt for my soon to be 4 yo grandson, who loves Adam West Batman (the others are too scary for his age). When I start sewing it, I'll post again about how much fun I'm having on the Babylock Jazz. (gotta keep a positive attitude)

Kathy
                        Last edited by wants to learn; July 14th, 2017, 10:05 PM. Reason: to make sence, I think faster than I write

Comment

Originally posted by wants to learn View Post
                          I realize this post is late on this topic, but I just bought a Jazz last weekend. I fell in love with it when it was first introduced, but thought the price was rather high for a mechanical machine. For me, the large bed is the greatest innovation in the sewing industry in years, and I'm tired of computerized machines that, if the computer fails, the parts aren't available to fix them, and they are totally useless without the computer. You would think they would build them so they could still be used without all the bells and whistles, but that idea negates planned obsolescence (and certainly profits).

I am in the beginning stages of a quilt, starching the fabric, cutting, and all the other prep involved. It's a Batman quilt for my soon to be 4 yo grandson, who loves Adam West Batman (the others are too scary for his age). When I start sewing it, I'll post again about how much fun I'm having on the Babylock Jazz. (gotta keep a positive attitude)

Kathy
                          Well stated, Kathy! I couldn't agree more. I love the Jazz as well do to the fact, I am no longer "wrestling" a quilt larger than 48x48 through a 7.5 inch throat and it has the simplicity that does the job and more!
                          Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I bought a Babylock Jazz in May, when it was 40% off, and am quite happy with it. I know I'm late to the discussion, but I wanted to clarify a couple of things I read: Yes, you can adjust the pressure foot pressure; there is a dial on the left. No, it does not come with a walking foot, but I have used both a Singer walking foot and a Brother walking foot on it with no issues. I do miss the needle up/needle down function. I'm happy too say I haven't had any tension issues to date. (Don't want to jinx myself.)

I bought the Jazz for for the throat space, and the fact that it's a mechanical, no frills machine. Computerized machines with all the bells and whistles are great, but technology becomes obsolete. I went to my LQS to ask about long-arm certification, and they tried to sell me an older model embroidery machine for $700 that used floppy disks. Pass!

Comment

My humble opinion is that you don't gain throat space with no height. The throat is short so I think I would have trouble with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X