Triangles left after trimming joined binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triangles left after trimming joined binding

What do you do with the little triangles left over after you join binding? There must be a pattern or something that uses them up that I don't know about (I'm a beginning quilter). I have many little triangles already and they are small but pretty and I hate to ignore or discard them. Thanks.

Triangles left over from trimming binding

What do you do with the little triangles left over after you join binding? There must be a pattern or something that uses them up that I don't know about (I'm a beginning quilter). I have many little triangles already and they are small but pretty and I hate to ignore or discard them. Thanks.

Comment

Re: Triangles left over from trimming binding

When I first started seriously quilting two years ago, I saved all those tiny little scraps (under 2 1/2" square) in a separate bag, with the intent of using them as stuffing for a doggie pillow. After about a year and a dozen quilts later, I gave up and tossed the bag as it was going to take me longer to fill the bag than my pup will likely live (she's already 14 years old).

Now I only save anything over 2 1/2" inch square and have made two lap size scrap quilts and still have enough to make several more.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
        When I first started seriously quilting two years ago, I saved all those tiny little scraps (under 2 1/2" square) in a separate bag, with the intent of using them as stuffing for a doggie pillow. After about a year and a dozen quilts later, I gave up and tossed the bag as it was going to take me longer to fill the bag than my pup will likely live (she's already 14 years old).

Now I only save anything over 2 1/2" inch square and have made two lap size scrap quilts and still have enough to make several more.
        Wait! You mean I can go ahead and throw out the tens of thousands of those little triangles??!! I have bags of them from every quilt! It's going to be like a trip down my memory lane of quilts!
        sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Yikes! Who has room for all those tiny triangles? Besides, I don't sew tiny! They are banished right away at my house!

Comment

I use them for "starters"; I sew a few stitches on a folded triangle and then run my fabric through. Keeps away the "bird's nest" on the bobbin side when I start, and shows me what the stitches will look like (more than once I have realized I had the wrong stitch settings - ).

Comment

Originally posted by SallyO'Sews View Post
              I use them for "starters"; I sew a few stitches on a folded triangle and then run my fabric through. Keeps away the "bird's nest" on the bobbin side when I start, and shows me what the stitches will look like (more than once I have realized I had the wrong stitch settings - ).
              I was being silly (sorta) but this is a really good idea. Keep a little stash of them right by the machine....hmmmm
              sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Re: Triangles left after trimming joined binding

If they aren't big enough to use in another block, I toss them into a bucket and use them as leaders/enders and to test tension when changing threads, needles, etc. Also when testing various stitches for sizes, etc. And then when they get used up I throw them into a bag to use as stuffing for pillows.

Comment

Seriously, I toss that stuff like Eleanor... get rid of it! No way I am going to sew projects with pieces that tiny. I'd go nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyO'Sews View Post
                    This is what I do. Otherwise I toss them.

Comment

I save them for dog pillows. Sandy had a great idea and I stole it from her. I find an old t-shirt, sew the bottom closed, sew the arms closed too. Then hang it near my cutting mat (I used one of those pretty lingerie hangars) and drop the small bits and pieces into the t-shirt. When it gets full I will sew up the top, cut off the excess and VIOLA! instant dog bed.

I made one for myself and one for my quilting bee. They love it. Even one of my friends granddaughters love it. They come over on the weekends and chop up whatever bits of leftover fabric and batting for the beds. Then they go with grandma to to shelter and donate it. Great project for the kids - gets them involved in "sewing", recycling, and donating to the shelter. Win win win all around.

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
                        I save them for dog pillows. Sandy had a great idea and I stole it from her. I find an old t-shirt, sew the bottom closed, sew the arms closed too. Then hang it near my cutting mat (I used one of those pretty lingerie hangars) and drop the small bits and pieces into the t-shirt. When it gets full I will sew up the top, cut off the excess and VIOLA! instant dog bed.

I made one for myself and one for my quilting bee. They love it. Even one of my friends granddaughters love it. They come over on the weekends and chop up whatever bits of leftover fabric and batting for the beds. Then they go with grandma to to shelter and donate it. Great project for the kids - gets them involved in "sewing", recycling, and donating to the shelter. Win win win all around.
                        That's a cute idea. When I go to my shelter they have several dogs in one kennel and don't provide beds.It looks like they are always washing them down.Maybe they do now so I will give them a call. I know the cat side has beds.
                        Last edited by Hulamoon; February 10th, 2017, 02:41 PM.
                        Lorie

Comment

I keep some for starters and the rest for dog pillows.
                          "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                          Hillary Clinton

Comment

I don't save triangles that small. They go directly into the waste basket which is right by my machine.

Comment

I recently sewed a bunch of binding strips together to make a fabric clothesline basket. With my triangle leftovers I made a ticker tape quilt/wall hanging. LOVE IT !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X