So, I'm taking the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I'm taking the plunge!

I'm so excited. I'm going for a demo on an HQ simply 16 on Saturday (they'll probably be a couple of other machines too) but I'm specifically going to try this one out. Should be a good weekend all round really as it's a 3 hour drive away to the only supplier of these machines in the UK, and we can end the weekend with visit to the Cotswolds and Stratford-upon-Avon. Do any of you lovely quilters own a Simply 16? What do you think of it? Your comments would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

Re: So, I'm taking the plunge!

I don't have any experience with the HQ simply 16, but it sure sounds like an exciting weekend! Have fun!
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Thank you Lisa, I'm sure I will have a great time with a couple of pub lunches thrown in for good measure!

Comment

Have a great time. I did a class on the Sweet 16 about a year ago, which was a learning new free motion motives class as a 'come try and hopefully buy' type deal.
        It was only a 2 hour class and did some ruler work incorporated into it. I did like the machine, and it certainly makes a difference to have all that extra space. I would have liked to spent longer playing with it, but that was the class schedule.

I am still in the 'dream on' phase of my sit down long arm journey, but one day I will take the plunge get something.

All the very best to you, and I hope it works out for you to get whatever it is that you are wanting. How exciting for you!!

Keep us posted on what the outcome is.
        HUGS,
        Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

I certainly will Nidan_07. Thank you x

Comment

Good luck with your adventure! Take your time and don't allow them to rush you into purchasing.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have rented time on a Simply Sixteen and finished two kid's quilts with it. Had tons of fun. I too am very interested in purchasing this machine, but am also considering the other options out there. Have fun.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I hope I don't feel pressured, but the lady I've spoken to at the shop sounds very nice and she has several machines I can try. I am limited on space here at home so for me the Simply 16 seems like the best option. I just hope I don't outgrow it too quickly as it's an expensive mistake to make. Still, hubby is being very encouraging....he says I don't want to be the richest woman in the graveyard and I should splash out!

Comment

We want a full report after your demo. Enjoy!
                  Annie
                  "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

I too have been wanting to purchase the simply sixteen. I have rented it at a local shop which also sells them. I think your husbands comment is great. My husband also supports me in purchading it. He says the same thing about saving, saving all the time and not enjoying things. Life is really too short. I just never splurge on myself. Maybe this will give me the nudge to do so. Hope you get yours as well.

Comment

Is this on one of the 10' frames by Gracie? I played with one in a shop a few weeks ago, if I had stayed much longer I would have purchased it! I think the price was reasonable for it and the frame. It has been many years since I was in Stratford-upon-Avon, beautiful park there. Enjoy your day.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hi Carolyn. No it's smaller than that, just 5-6ft little foot frame where you clamp your quilt on rather than roll it . You have to sandwich your quilt before setting it up on the frame so it might not suit everyone. I've watched loads of youtube videos about it but won't really know until I have had a play with it. It's called the HQ Simply 16 with little foot frame. I'll keep you all updated to let you know whether I do actually part with my hard earned cash.

Comment

Yay, I have indeed taken the plunge. I had a go on the Simply 16 today and loved it and needless to say I have committed to buying one and am about to part with my hard earned cash. I still have loads to learn but I'm sure some of you lovely quilters will give me advice should I run into trouble. It's not being set up here at home until 24th March after I get back from my holiday in Thailand but I can't wait.

Bye for now, Lesley.

Comment

Originally posted by Essex Girl UK View Post
                            Yay, I have indeed taken the plunge. I had a go on the Simply 16 today and loved it and needless to say I have committed to buying one and am about to part with my hard earned cash. I still have loads to learn but I'm sure some of you lovely quilters will give me advice should I run into trouble. It's not being set up here at home until 24th March after I get back from my holiday in Thailand but I can't wait.

Bye for now, Lesley.
                            Lesley,

Congratulations. I hope to join the owner ranks at some point.

Comment

Hi Essex Girl! Sorry I am late responding to this post, but I bought the Simply 16 with the Little Foot frame last fall. I had never even used a long arm or mid-arm before, but I found a local dealer who let me come in and play on the HQ models they had and I took the leap. I have absolutely no regrets!

The five foot frame fits my needs and the machine works great. I'm always concerned about tension issues and worried I would have trouble advancing a large quilt on the small frame, but I worried needlessly. The machine sews like a dream - beautiful stitches! I have already quilted several quilts where I have to advance the quilt with no problems.

It is amazing how this little machine has changed my quilting outlook! Whereas I used to dread the actual quilting process on my domestic machine, I actually look forward to getting to that stage in completing the quilt. I am quickly tackling a stack of UFOs that I reluctantly ignored. Best of luck with your new machine. In my opinion, the Simply 16 is a great choice!

Comment

Working...
                              X