3 questions about appique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 questions about appique

I have several applique kits i plan on making but want to practice first on scrape material , i have a Janome 6500
    can i use embroidery thread in the top to add sheen to my appliques? also when starting machine applique does the needle need to start on the inside of the applique or the outside and last but not least i know i can do a blanket stitch but is there such a thing as a slow satin stitch since i can set a speed on my machine?

Re: 3 questions about appique

Yes you can use embroidery thread in the top to add sheen to your appliques

Traditionally if you are doing a blanket stitch you would start with the needle on the outside. This will give your applique the most definition. If you don't like that look remember, your quilt , your rules.

Sure you can use a satin stitch instead of a blanket stitch. You will probably need a stabilizer since the satin stitch really draws up the fabric. Test first.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
      Yes you can use embroidery thread in the top to add sheen to your appliques

Traditionally if you are doing a blanket stitch you would start with the needle on the outside. This will give your applique the most definition. If you don't like that look remember, your quilt , your rules.

Sure you can use a satin stitch instead of a blanket stitch. You will probably need a stabilizer since the satin stitch really draws up the fabric. Test first.
      Totally agree!

One more thing, if you don't use the same thread in the bobbin as on top, at least have it the same color. Some like to use a lighter weight thread in the bobbin so it won't build up on the bottom.
      Vonnie

Comment

Those are good questions!
        I am glad some knew the answers.
        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I have the Janome 6600 and think it is pretty close to the 6500. I do a lot of applique and use embroidery thread in the top and pre-wound bobbins in the bottom. You asked about satin stitch, when I use satin stitch, I use the zig zag number 8 in mode 1 and just adjust the width and length to get what I want. This adjustment will help prevent the satin stitching from "bunching" up your fabric. You can adjust the speed as you need, I go a bit faster on the "straight aways" and slow down "in the curves". Also, always test on scrap before your actual project. Make sure your scrap is the same thickness as your project, same fabric and layers is what I do for my tests.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
            Traditionally if you are doing a blanket stitch you would start with the needle on the outside. This will give your applique the most definition.
            Sorry to hijack this thread with a question... I'm fairly new to sewing/quilting, but what do you mean by starting with the needle on the outside?

Comment

Here is the clearest explanation I could find of starting with your needle on the outside of the applique (in the background fabric). It also shows how to turn corners, and how to do curves. The same principals apply to using a satin stitch.

http://klee2strings.blogspot.com/p/o...appens-to.html
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Working...
              X