uncertain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uncertain

I have been watching the messages on Featherweights and have even posted about a couple so hopefully you all are not "past that point yet" and can give me your thoughts.
    I have been shopping on ebay, spoke to a lady in a quilt shop that may have one for sale and today I received a call regarding one. There is a gentleman in Texas that gets them in one way or another, and refurbishes them to supposedly pristine condition. He even holds a class, which you have to pay for, letting you know how to service it, adjust all of the setting and everything there is to know about a Featherweight.
    The machine has all of the accessories, book and case and he is asking $500.00 for it. It appears to be a bit high to me however he has gone over it with a fine tooth comb-the silver plates are taken off and cleaned, new belt(s) and oiled. It is black and a 1953 model.
    I have not spoken to may husband yet about it but just wondering what your thoughts are. Since it is my 70th birthday on Sunday-I think I should go for it-your opinions please.
    thank you
    Claudia

Re: uncertain

I don't remember the gentleman's name, but a Featherweight guru came to Missouri Star last year to give a a Featherweight maintenance workshop. Maybe this is the same gentleman. To get one in pristine condition, with all accessories from someone who is an experienced mechanic would be worth top dollar in my book. I've seen some that were custom painted that were closer to $1000. They sure are pretty all painted girly colors, but you can't beat a shiny black one in great condition. I say go for it, you deserve it! Yes you can get them cheaper and you have no idea of what problems you might face. If you buy from him, you can always go back to him if you encounter issues.

Comment

I'd be right beside you if I had any money to spare.

Comment

I don't know too much about them accept when I see a pretty one I want one. lol It sounds good, so I say go for it!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Is his name David Werther, or something like that? He is on one of the fw sites on fb and is very knowledgeable. There is another one too, but I can't remember his name either!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

If it is David Werther he is very good in his work. There is another man in Texas by the name of David Eaton. His website is https://sooldsewnew.wordpress.com/ and they repair and resell Featherweights. I took a class from him last month and really learned a lot. I would trust him as well.

Comment

It's an antique, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. What I would suggest is that you read some websites and watch videos on repair and maintenance to educate yourself. Some people say they refurbish them, but don't do it well - you certainly don't want to pay $500 for one that still needs work. And is it a special model, is the paint in decent shape, has it been polished. Is it worth it to you to not have to hunt for one and then pay to have it put in tip top shape or spend time doing it yourself?

I'm getting mine in a couple of days, I have no idea what shape it's in. But I plan to refurbish it myself, so I don't care what's wrong as long as it's intact.

I wish you luck! Maybe it's the perfect birthday present, all you'd have to do is plug it in and have fun!

Comment

I say "GO FOR IT". Happy birthday.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I see them on Craigslist for anywhere from $350-450 so the little bit extra for one that has been looked over and fine tuned would be worth it to me.

Comment

If $$ is not the issue here, I'd say it's worth it for a machine that has been gone over thoroughly. It is a milestone birthday too, that always warrants something special If it really is in pristine shape - go for it! Happy Birthday

Comment

My husband bought me a Featherweight Centennial model on eBay. It's a pristine machine with barely a scratch on it. I'm not sure but I think he paid in the neighborhood of $500 for it with case, book, everything. We had to have some work done on it, but the seller picked that up since they had advertised it as being better than it was.

There's a place in Katy, TX called Kimberly's Junk in the Trunk that specializes in vintage machines. They have some very good ones there.
                      Patrice S

Comment

Thanks to everyone that replied regarding the Featherweight I had been offered. My husband gave me the go ahead and after a couple of phone calls decided it was for me. I pick it up in a couple of weeks-- can't wait.

Comment

Show a picture when you get her!
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                          X