please explain the difference between fabric companies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please explain the difference between fabric companies

OK, here's a big question: I'm relatively new to quilting (past 2 years). I would love to know the difference between all the different fabric companies - do they all have lots of different designers? I know, for example, that Kaffe Fassett designs for Westminster (or is it Rowan?). But that's all I know. Tell me all you know please!

Re: please explain the difference between fabric companies

One way to research this would be to go to the websites of the fabric companies. There you can get an idea of how many, and what type of designers they each have Welcome to the forum!

Comment

One difference is in their pre-cuts. Sizes may differ. Some do not pink their cuts ~ others do. Sizes of pinked precuts also differ ~ some (like Moda) measure from the outermost edge and others measure from the deepest part of the pinking. That's one of the reasons I never mix precuts from 2 different manufacturers.

And I also measure every precut to know exactly what the dimensions are

I also recommend what Songbird said - check out the manufacturer's sites. You can see their designers there.

And welcome to the forum!
      Judy, USMC
      Last edited by Judy, USMC; January 24, 2017, 07:04 PM.

Comment

The companies have a style of their own too. Some are real graphic and others are soft and pretty. Then there is Kaffe Fassett in a world of his own.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Well, I'm fairly new to all these designer fabrics. I used to just go into a shop like Hancock and pick out stuff that I liked on their sale table. My daughter explained to me that the better fabrics would make me happier. The difference between $3 a yard and $10 a yard was just too scary for me to consider since I didn't feel I was a good enough sewer. Well, she bought me some of the "good stuff"" as gifts and it didn't take me long to discover that with better fabrics, I was a better sewer. Huh...I knew that with better ingredients, I made better food, but hadn't thought of fabric making a difference.
          I really like some better than others...Moda, Kauffman, Free Spirit, RJR. The "good stuff" sews up straighter, irons without as much stretching, washes better, produces quality textile products. The designers are of little significance to me right now. I buy only what I really like. Of Daily Deals! lol
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

Welcome to the forum Stacy from southeast Louisiana

Comment

Welcome to the forum and to quilting as well. Yeah, the fabric companies usually have several artists that design their fabrics. Sometimes they confer with leading quilters to create a fabric collection that they would like. Eleanor Burns has done this and I'm sure there are others.

Some companies have artists of one type (modern, reproductions, cheery, etc) and other companies have artists of all types. An artist typically creates fabrics in the same style as their previous fabric collections. Sort of how a singer usually sings only folk, opera, or country songs. So if you find a fabric collection that you like, chances are you'll like other collections made by the artist. And, if you find you need more fabric for a project but can't find that specific collection anymore you can look at the artist's other collections and most likely will find the same color palette and styles to fit your project.

So I tend to look at the artist instead of the fabric company.

And then again, I also ignore everything and drool over the pretty quilt samples in the store! LOL

Comment

I don't pay any attention to fabric houses. When I have a quilt in mind, I go by color, print and will match a color family from any and all houses, including batiks.

The only house that I really looked at was Moda. I saw the Candies and got fascinated by these little pieces. I can cut a charm square into that size with the Accuquilt (Sizzix will do it, too) and instead of 42 pieces of fabric, I have 168. You can cut down a quilt that uses 4 inch squares to 2 inch squares. Good for scraps and practice, plus doing a pattern you like, but have no use for a standard quilt. Make a wall hanging instead.
                Alpha O
                Last edited by Alpha O; January 25, 2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I don't pay attention to fabric housed either. I'm usually attracted by the print. I seem to be eclectic in my tastes - sometimes reproduction, sometimes modern. It depends on the quilt/project I have in mind.
                  Cindy

Comment

If you explore the companies' websites Stacy, as Songbird suggested you will begin to get a feel for their aesthetic. Of course, companies that are huge, like Moda, run the gamut of designer styles. Rowan and Free Spirit are both Westminster lines, and they have a very modern and sometimes whimsical feel. I noticed recently that they updated their website nicely with nice big thumbnails of their upcoming releases.

Comment

Once you know your own preference's it is easy to find designers with your same taste. When you are familiar with the company's web site check out the designers web sites also. You will soon find that most of the designers and /or companies offer on average three new lines each year. Hint, if you find a collection you really love, wait until their next line is about to or has just come out. That way you can usually find it on sale in most places. This may not always be the case depending on how popular the line was. I agree with Terry about the quality of the fabric. Makes a big difference and if I am putting that much time and effort into something then the price is worth it. Enjoy.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X