Mentoring for charity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mentoring for charity

Well, I've been thinking of contacting the "home ec" dept at the high school to see if I could come and do a modest quilt introduction class and get some your people interested in sewing quilts and donating them to the Shriners cause. And lo and behold, a customer came in and told me that she is in that dept and they are looking for a servce project for a group of 30 girls and that she would help me in the after school tutoring of these girls. We will show them how to cut out and assemble simple patterns and make baby and lap quilts and then, we will take the activity bus the 110 miles to the Shriners Childrens Hospital and let the girls donate the quilts that they make directly. I think this will be a new added adventure to the Shriner project.
    She said they didn't have the funds to provide the girls with fabric, but I assured her that some of those girls will have a grandma or mother or someone with scraps and I would help with some scraps and we could make quilts from what we had on hand. Plus, some of you have been so generous in donating fabric to my cause and I can share a bit of that as well.
    So, a great day. I will meet with her on Wednesday afternoon. That will give me time to assemble some sample, simple blocks to give the girls some ideas and let them get creative.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: Mentoring for charity

That's such great news! I was going to go through all my children's fabric for the do you want this group, but since they will be making kids quilts, they would be perfect for your project. When are you going to get this started?
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

What a wonderful project! See how what you've started has spread? I'm so happy for you!

Comment

That sounds like fun!
        I remember when sewing was taught in schools. Now that it isn't anymore, young people are being left out of this useful skill.
        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

GENIUS! This effort just screams creativity and charity, among other things. I wonder if 4H groups would take projects like this on? Congratulations on continuing your efforts for the Shriners Hospital.
          “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

This is an awesome idea! I have 5 1/2 yards to send you that I think might be fun for the kiddos to work with. Its a shade of blue. IMG_7422.JPG

Comment

So exciting to work with a young group of girls and they will see how rewarding their projects will be. You are a wonderful person to share your talents.

Comment

Originally posted by kgirlmom View Post
                This is an awesome idea! I have 5 1/2 yards to send you that I think might be fun for the kiddos to work with. Its a shade of blue. [ATTACH=CONFIG]139351[/ATTACH]
                What a cute backing this would make for some quilts too!!

Comment

I did buy it to use as backing, but my 20-something daughters nixed the idea as being "lame". I think younger kids might like it, or anyone else, but not my kids. I think Terry will put it to good use... however she wants.

Comment

rock-7[1].jpg
                    What a great way to continue to help your favorite charity, AND to encourage the next generation to be creative and giving!

Comment

What a great opportunity that is for both you and the girls. It's sad that they don't teach home ec any more in school. Good luck with it.
                      Cindy

Comment

What perfect timing for you. This will be a great experience for the class. Keep us posted on the progress.
                        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Terry, would you answer an age old question for us? And please feel free to be brutaly honest, or PM me if you're concerned with offending anyone.

With regards to scrap sizes and your charity quilts... How small is too small for scraps?

I wish to send you some scraps to aid in the new venture, but I don't want to send anything that would be considered too small for the students who are just learning new skills, or that would be too small for you to work with for the auction.

Comment

I am meeting with the teacher on Wednesday and we will set a time to meet with the girls. I remember seeing a wonderful tutorial that someone posted about cutting up a block and all the different patterns it would make. So I'm going to make up a couple of blocks and then show them how versatile it is. Just can't remember that post so I will be searching today. Thanks and any fabrics will be greatly appreciated.
                            Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            That's such great news! I was going to go through all my children's fabric for the do you want this group, but since they will be making kids quilts, they would be perfect for your project. When are you going to get this started?
                            Terry

Comment

I think that anything that is 2 1//2 inches by anything (pick a number 1...) would be okey. I was thinking they could sew 4 strips together of 2 1/2 inch fabrics and then cut them into 10 inch squares. From there they can cut on the diagonal or just turn them sideways and make cute patterns.
                              Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                              Terry, would you answer an age old question for us? And please feel free to be brutaly honest, or PM me if you're concerned with offending anyone.

With regards to scrap sizes and your charity quilts... How small is too small for scraps?

I wish to send you some scraps to aid in the new venture, but I don't want to send anything that would be considered too small for the students who are just learning new skills, or that would be too small for you to work with for the auction.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X