Featherweight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Featherweight

I was in a quilt shop today and the conversation turned to Featherweights. I mentioned I have been on the lookout for one and an Employee said she had one she never uses. I said I might be interested in it for a fair price. She said the only think wrong with it is the case smells. The other person said they all do cause when they made them they oiled them with fish oil.
    So what would you think would be a fair and reasonable price. I have seen them on eBay from $250.00 to $450.00 and $500.00. I would never purchase such an item on eBay.
    We shall see if she calls me.
    Claudia

Re: Featherweight

Around here they usually go for $300 to $400, depending on condition. BTW, I bought mine on Ebay several years ago and it was great. The lady that sold it was an elementary teacher that didn't have time to sew. She even sent a video of the machine sewing.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Depends on how much you want to pay too.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

A fair price would be what the two of you agree on and money changes hands. It also hinges on what shape the machine is in, what you're getting with the machine, your budget, what you'd be willing to pay and how bad you wanted the machine.
        A customer were I did work picked up Featherweights at a low price, cleaned and fixed them and then offered them for sale. His price was always around $500. He found out I quilted and kept asking if I wanted to buy one. I told him I wouldn't pay over $250 for one so if he would meet my price I'd buy one. We went back and forth for eight months and he finally gave up and sold me a great little Featherweight with case, accessories and lots of bobbins. I love my Featherweight and use it quite a bit but my budget and desire to have one equaled $250. Good Luck!
        :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

I bought my Featherweight Bernice on E-bay. I found her and called Stitching Woman and discussed the machine with her and her husband Bob, who is a sewing machine repairman. I have been pleased and enjoyed Bernice.

You need to determine how much you are willing to pay for a Featherweight. They are workhorses and I hope you will enjoy having one.

Comment

The best Featherweight I ever bought was on eBay. Around here Featherweights in good condition with a decent case go for $300-$450. This being said, a few months ago I bought one that's in wonderful shape for $75. It just doesn't have a case. You never know when one will pop up into your life. Most quilt shops that sell FWs want w-a-y too much for them.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I bought mine on eBay. Paid $250 for it, it was in very good working order and had some accessories. The case had a broken latch and a wonderful forum friend gave me one with 2 good latches!

Comment

I paid $200 for mine on eBay but it was not in good condition and needed work -- nothing I couldn't handle myself, though. Now it is a little darling and doing everything it should.

The cases do smell but I don't think it has anything to do with fish oil. There is a felt oil catcher in the bottom of the machine. Replace the oil catcher (I cut a new one out of felt from Joann's) and air out the case in the sunshine and that will take care of that problem.

Comment

I just bought mine recently $250. I thought that was a very reasonable price for my area. I haven't sen one below $250 upto $750. Try an offer you feel is reasonable & see what she says.

Comment

I think I paid $250 for mine. He's got a lot of wear and tear but runs great.

Comment

I'm just about to get my first Featherweight. I knew nothing about them and happened upon a local ad. Did a ton of research. Now it's all for naught as far as buying the machine, for this dear lady wants only a donation to the rose garden (which she built for the city herself!). So I'm probably going to pay a little extra, and not worry about evaluating it for true value.

Unless you're getting some machine that's special to you, know that there are tons out there for sale so you can always find a cheap one if you hunt. I'm delighted to have found one loved by three generations, she's delighted someone wants to piece quilts like she used to, and the roses will thrive because of this.

Check out Facebook for featherweight groups, novamontgomery.com is a fantastic resource. I can't recall the other I know, but it's a family that runs a featherweight business. A couple of these do some great YouTube videos on maintenance and repair,,absolutely invaluable.

If it's not serviced, I'd offer a lot less because you either have to pay or do that yourself. Somewhere I read how to get that smell out of the case, there is a way, and unfortunately a lot get thrown out because people just think they're musty and beyond hope. I'll come back and post if I remember where I read how to unstink it.

Comment

This is the Facebook group, lots of good information and lots of videos on their website.

Singer Featherweight 221 & 222 Sewing Machines
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

The facebook group is a wonderful resource, it is supported by April's 1930s.
                          The felt oil pad probably need replacing and the case will need some help. The smell is often caused by the glue that was used to adhere the liner of the case. It is an animal product and tends to mold. A wipe with a mild bleach solution and airing out should help or solve the problem. Lots of folks put a strong smelling soap like Irish Spring in them to help with the odor.
                          I love my two featherweights, on I paid $300 and the other is borrowed from a relative. I do all my piecing on my FW.

Comment

Working...
                          X