• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed!

My husband has decided he would like to stop talking about creating
    a woman owned small business and put his money up. He wants to buy
    a Statler Gammel Long Arm Machine and open a home business. I am
    having trouble saying yes. I'm afraid of failure. I would love a machine
    and have always dreamed of having one and even opening a business.
    I am afraid of the competition and getting the business started. I do about
    30-35 quilts a year and currently pay for them to long armed. My friend
    says I should go for it, that there is a need for long armers. Any input or
    advice would be appreciated!

Re: Advice needed!

I would check with local quilt shops in your area and see how the handle requests to have things longarmed. I know the ones here have a few local quilters in the area that they use and give their names to customers asking for the service since they don't do quilting in shop. That would be your best bet to get an established customer base local to you.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

One thing to maybe consider is speak to a good accountant and or business consultant before you do anything. There are deductions, depreciation, your "home office/work" space. Things like putting the business name and info on your car can turn into a write off (I believe, but again don't know for certain, double check). Also (as is the case in retail) there could be a lot of hidden costs that you want to consider.
      I've only managed retail businesses so I have no knowledge about working out of the home. Even if business isn't great, some perks may make it worth doing.

Comment

Well, if you want to get into the business, this would be the equipment to get it going! Are there any dealers near you where you can go for information and lessons? I would want access to technical help nearby if I were taking this step.

Comment

There is a member here that just moved from out of the country to the US. Her name is on the tip of my tongue. She's doing a FMQ business. Maybe someone remembers her name so you can PM her.

I did a cake business at home for several years and it was all under the table. It was word of mouth, and some business cards.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

This website is all free info on setting up and running a long arm quilting business

http://thebusinessofmachinequilting.com/

Good luck and happy quilting
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Advantages and disadvantages of home business. If you have any questions about taxes, I can help. Had home based/Internet busin r multiple years. Currently working on CPA license. Just private message me. Lisap

Comment

Isn't the lady that Hulamoon is talking about the one from Central America (Costa Rica or Ecuador?) who moved to Kansas City area? Talk to your local small business company through the gov. They are free and now your areas laws.
                sigpic

Comment

I too am thinking about doing this. The first thing I did was google long arm quilters in my area and there are none. Check and see if there is anyone in your area for two things, 1. you know who your competition are and 2. get to know them and pick their brain (if they let you).

Comment

I had a home based business for 10 years making draperies. It was great as far as our taxes were concerned, lots of deductions by using your home for a business.
                    I worked a good bit until the 2008 economic meltdown which pretty much killed any luxury purchases.

I could not have supported myself with the business, One could hardly sew fast enough to support themselves in my opinion.

I was getting a pension from a former career and the business was a wonderful extra income, we did lots of traveling with the income.

Comment

Maybe you should talk to someone who already has a home longarm business to get feedback on the pros & cons. There is a lady at my church who has a LA business & uses a Gammil. (Do you have the space for a long frame?) She orders batting & Superior's King Tut thread on line. She buys these huge rolls of batting that get shipped by freight to her house. If you quilt larger quilts, you have to buy the extra wide batting to accommodate for the queen & king sizes. You need to decide if you are going to do custom quilting, or only edge-to-edge using pantographs. Do you want your home life disrupted by customers coming in/out your home all the time? There are many things to consider. You need to think long & hard about all the contingencies, make a list of expenses, pro's, con's, etc. before you embark on such a venture.

Comment

Bunnycoolmom, this isn't about starting a business, but I wanted to let you know about a class that will be given in March regarding the upgrade of Statler Creative Studio to version 7. If you're near Ohio, a quilt shop there will be giving a class on March 16 and 17. That's just about the upgrade to v7. Each October, they hold a 3-day seminar on Creative Studio. That's attended by a lot of Statler users, including many who use theirs for business. I don't use my Gammill Statler for business, just for myself, but I attend all the classes offered by that quilt shop. Let me know if you'd like more info. Good luck with your business!

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post

I could not have supported myself with the business, One could hardly sew fast enough to support themselves in my opinion.
                          I suspect many going into long arm quilting as a business not to support themselves so much as to pay for the quilting machine & frame. It makes sense to me.

Do you have a local guild? If so, I would talk to the quilters there about where they get their quilts done and standard pricing in your area. It's possible they would let you run a small ad in their guild newsletter. It could be a good place to start building a clientele.

Comment

Working...
                          X