DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!

Do not do what I did!!!!! I saw a pic of a cute quilt on pinterest (modern scrappy baby quilt by Andiejohnsonsews) I thought hey that looks easy...I can use up some stash and I can do that without a pattern...DUH NOT!!!!!! after cutting and snowballing 144 blocks and spending a week organizing the colors on my wall and finally being satisfied I started to sew the blocks together. Disaster struck...my points did not line up...I freaking cut the main squares 1/2 inch too big...Omg I was heartsick and wanted to cry...why oh why did I just not buy the pattern or at least sew a sample block first???? After much contemplation unsewing them is NOT an option so guess what? I am now making a Hugs and Kisses quilt with Jennys pattern. I think it will look great:

Re: DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!

Thanks for the warning! I can so picture myself getting too confident, and doing just that!

I used to sew a sample block first. I like visual's. No, I NEED visuals.
    but now that I got EQ7, I don't even do that.
    HOWEVER, since redoing my first EQ7 quilt [on the computer] I learned to preview the cutting instructions for the block BEFORE designing the whole quilt, and finding out I had a line or measurement wrong!
    There is a learning curve. Because I want to use precuts, and EQ7 uses finished measurements, I have to SUBTRACT the seam allowances, which we would normally add to patterns. Then when EQ automatically adds the seam allowances I end up with the size of the precut I want to use. Does that make sense?
    Why use precut sizes if you don't buy precuts? Because when I get bags of scraps, I cut them into the common precut sizes.
    I've also found, that many times, I want to enlarge the size of a design made for precuts, and this way I don't have to buy another pack. I can just go to my orpahaned nickle or dime containers, and find a print that works with the pack I am using.

So just for you, here is a quilt I made in EQ7 that uses those hugs and kisses blocks a bit differently:
    Using jelly rolls for the sashing, snowballed charms [or layer cakes cut into 4's] for the flower petals, and a 3 inch border, it comes out to 43x56 so you don't have to piece the backing.
    Picture_Quilt_Xs_Os_Variation_eq7.jpg
    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

modern scrappy baby quilt (570x483).jpg

Is this the one? https://www.etsy.com/listing/1273733...?ref=related-4
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

If you look closely her pattern doesn't line up either. Don't beat yourself up.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
          Thanks for the warning! I can so picture myself getting too confident, and doing just that!

I used to sew a sample block first. I like visual's. No, I NEED visuals.
          but now that I got EQ7, I don't even do that.
          HOWEVER, since redoing my first EQ7 quilt [on the computer] I learned to preview the cutting instructions for the block BEFORE designing the whole quilt, and finding out I had a line or measurement wrong!
          There is a learning curve. Because I want to use precuts, and EQ7 uses finished measurements, I have to SUBTRACT the seam allowances, which we would normally add to patterns. Then when EQ automatically adds the seam allowances I end up with the size of the precut I want to use. Does that make sense?
          Why use precut sizes if you don't buy precuts? Because when I get bags of scraps, I cut them into the common precut sizes.
          I've also found, that many times, I want to enlarge the size of a design made for precuts, and this way I don't have to buy another pack. I can just go to my orpahaned nickle or dime containers, and find a print that works with the pack I am using.

So just for you, here is a quilt I made in EQ7 that uses those hugs and kisses blocks a bit differently:
          Using jelly rolls for the sashing, snowballed charms [or layer cakes cut into 4's] for the flower petals, and a 3 inch border, it comes out to 43x56 so you don't have to piece the backing.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]139291[/ATTACH]
          Thanks so much..that looks interesting!

Comment

Yes it is...Her points may have not been perfect but mine were at least 1/2" off..not good

Comment

Cute quilt but in looking at the picture most of her points don't meet. They overlap by a fair amount. Sorry you were unhappy with your blocks. A lot of work to be disappointed. I hope you like your new layout.

Comment

It looks like the triangle points overlap; the points do not meet precisely. Based on the given dimensions, I think the squares are 5." The triangles would have 3" sides. And there is a 1/2" overlap of the triangle points. My measurements are guesses are based on looking at the picture. I haven't made the block.

Comment

That is not even something I would notice.
                  Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

When life gives you lemons. .... your are very resilient, make it work!
                    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

I don't think the points are supposed to match... I think they are offset by the way she snowballed also. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by inspired View Post
                        Yes it is...Her points may have not been perfect but mine were at least 1/2" off..not good
                        It was not her intent to match the points... the whole quilt is offset. I like it. I think she did it purposely.

Comment

I too have done that! I now download my patterns or have them in writing. You should be fine reworking the quilt. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X