X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cashs mom
    replied
    Re: I know I shouldn't judge

If you back out even $100 for fabrics, it would only come out of $15.00 an hour. That's not that much for handwork. I hope she gets that much for them

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

I have also made 2 sales in 2 years. I'm happy with my $850. It buys more fabric. Bet I sell another one this year too.

Leave a comment:

• cindirae
    replied

$475 sounds about right to me! I certainly wouldn't sell a quilt this size for less.

Leave a comment:

• Preeti
    replied

This shop has made two sales in two years.
    Case closed!

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
    Keep in mind that what one asks as a price and if it actually sells are two different things. It may or may not be worth the asking price. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
    I agree with that, and agree he should get it. I was just thinking the price was disproportionate to the size. I also thought it was funny or maybe clever that he advertised a mile of thread.

I knew it was wrong to bring it up and I already apologized.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

They sell.....if you are patient.

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

Keep in mind that what one asks as a price and if it actually sells are two different things. It may or may not be worth the asking price. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

Originally posted by beccavan1 View Post
    I hand cut with scissors, pieced by hand and hand quilted a lap quilt for my mom. It was a lot of work, but worth it.
    If I were to sell it, I would possibly ask $150 at the very most. I don't know if I could even justify that price.
    You should think more of yourself. Bet your Mom thinks its priceless.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

Originally posted by Bneighbor View Post
    So many times I read on quilting/sewing/embroidery/craft forums how expensive supplies are. How long it takes to do a particular technique. How much "love" they put into their craft. Yet they basically give their products away and the complain about how little they got paid. Now, someone comes along with a more realistic price, taking in consideration those points of cost, time and "love" and complain that he is charging too much and that he will never sell said product at such a high price, or say it is not worth what he is charging. Why belittle someone, and then envy them for getting what they feel they are worth?
    We cannot have it both ways. Don't we want our craft to be taken seriously? Someone slaps paint onto a canvas, announces that it is a masterpiece and sells it for thousands of dollars and no one sees anything wrong. It is not wrong, but our "art" is not worthy of the same consideration?
    Sorry to rant, but I just saw a post elsewhere a person complained that she spent a great deal of money and time and the customer only wanted to pay a few dollars because they could get it at a discount store for less. Yet, she took the token pay and walked way.
    Stand up for what you are worth. And rally around those who have the strength to demand and get what they feel they are worth.
    I think I love you.........

Leave a comment:

• MaryUK
    replied

Just another thought, for every one person prepared to pay the right money there are 10 more who are too mean and want something for nothing!!!

Leave a comment:

• MaryUK
    replied

I can understand all opinions here. I used to make a lot of cards but would only charge a few pounds because no one wanted to pay much more. One day I say on eBay a certain lady getting £45 for here. Now these were real works of art and never put in the post but would end up on people's walls behind glass and she had a very steady following of buyers. Therefore she charged what she thought they were worth and people paid the price.

I think a big selling point for this quilter is that this art form isn't as big in the UK as in the US so there is the 'rarity' value. Therefore people don't always know what components make up a quilt!! If I was seeing how many hours went into something I would view it very differently, but that is my opinion.

A lap quilt is much easier to put into a colour scheme than a bed sized one - it can be a 'pop' of colour in a neutral space. I personally would buy the 'pop' as it wouldn't compromise the overall colour scheme in my living room.

I suppose what I am saying in a roundabout way is that here in the UK we would see the quilt as extraordinary and therefore it becomes a collectable!! Let's celebrate that fact!!

Leave a comment:

• beccavan1
    replied

I hand cut with scissors, pieced by hand and hand quilted a lap quilt for my mom. It was a lot of work, but worth it.
    If I were to sell it, I would possibly ask $150 at the very most. I don't know if I could even justify that price.

Leave a comment:

• Bneighbor
    replied

So many times I read on quilting/sewing/embroidery/craft forums how expensive supplies are. How long it takes to do a particular technique. How much "love" they put into their craft. Yet they basically give their products away and the complain about how little they got paid. Now, someone comes along with a more realistic price, taking in consideration those points of cost, time and "love" and complain that he is charging too much and that he will never sell said product at such a high price, or say it is not worth what he is charging. Why belittle someone, and then envy them for getting what they feel they are worth?
    We cannot have it both ways. Don't we want our craft to be taken seriously? Someone slaps paint onto a canvas, announces that it is a masterpiece and sells it for thousands of dollars and no one sees anything wrong. It is not wrong, but our "art" is not worthy of the same consideration?
    Sorry to rant, but I just saw a post elsewhere a person complained that she spent a great deal of money and time and the customer only wanted to pay a few dollars because they could get it at a discount store for less. Yet, she took the token pay and walked way.
    Stand up for what you are worth. And rally around those who have the strength to demand and get what they feel they are worth.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
    Good for him if he can get it. That being said, he has only sold 1 other quilt on etsy. I may have to rethink making quilts to sell, lol
    I was told by a lady who teaches quilting that the small quilts have a bigger profit margin.

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Good for him if he can get it. That being said, he has only sold 1 other quilt on etsy. I may have to rethink making quilts to sell, lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X