X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ncgrammie
    replied
    Re: Heating Pad

I've made a ton of these. I use leftover fabric or fabric that I don't like and rice. They are used nightly to warm my feet so I can fall asleep and they last for a year or so before needing replacing. I also use them for aches and pains but at least nightly. You can make them any size you want. Charm squares make nice hand warmers for the winter. They make great gifts too. Last year our office was very cold so I made one for everybody to help combat the cold. They still love them.

Leave a comment:

• xsgranny3
    replied

i have used a hand towel and also cotton fabric when making. Have filled using either rice or wheat. When warming be careful to not over heat as you can scorch the filling

Leave a comment:

• MHG Winnower
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    They sell walnut shells here. I think it would work great. I have some and they are small just like rice.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...tin-tree-farms
    Be careful with the walnut shells. Folks with peanut allergies might have a serious issue.
    I use rice in mine. Cotton fabric and thread.

Leave a comment:

• Judy, USMC
    replied

Originally posted by sesemelatte View Post
    Here is a video I just came across on that very rice heating pad! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIP7sYubdlw . I use them all winter and for aching muscles.
    The link provided is about Megan and the Royal Family ... tried twice ...

Leave a comment:

• sesemelatte
    replied

Here is a video I just came across on that very rice heating pad! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIP7sYubdlw . I use them all winter and for aching muscles.

Leave a comment:

• Preeti
    replied

My quilter/blogger friend Janine Marie has made one for herself to ease her aching muscles
    https://quiltsfromthelittlehouse.blo...exie-love.html

If you ask her, she may tell you how she made it.

Leave a comment:

• Bernamom
    replied

We have 2 and I think they have flax seed in them and some kind of essential oil that smell great when it it warmed. It is make out of cotton fabric.

Leave a comment:

• beccavan1
    replied

I had a neck pad that I won at a party, I don't know what it was filled with, but it had herbs in it also. The herbs, when warmed, would release a relaxing scent, must of been lavender. This one was made of cotton cut into a u shape and it had a cover, in the same shape, that had a velcro closure. This way, you could take the cover off and wash it.
    Right now, I'm a rice-in-a-tube sock girl.
    I love these pads. I am planning one, with a cover, that will go a little longer down my back, around the shoulders and neck.

Leave a comment:

• pjyoder414@yahoo.com
    replied

I have two. One is filled with corn. The other with herbs.

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    replied

I use muslin for the interior, make it about 12 inches square, or whatever size you want, divide into pockets, add rice or whatever to each pocket. I usually make a removable cover out of flannel. I have also used buck wheat.

Leave a comment:

• Marta
    replied

Throw in some dried lavender with whatever filling you use.

Leave a comment:

• Judy, USMC
    replied

I usually use low talc rice, cotton fabric and cotton thread. For a 3 compartment heat bag I'll cut a strip 40" x 7". Fold in half to measure 20" x 7" and sew up both sides using a 3/8" seam allowance. Pour in about 3/4 cup of rice and sew across at approximately 6". Do that again to make the second compartment. After pouring in the last 3/4 cup I tuck the cut ends in and double sew the opening closed.

The hardest part is trying to keep the rice from shifting when you are sewing across the bag. I usually use a square chopstick and use it as a guide to sew. PM if you'd like to do it that way and I can get more detailed.

Leave a comment:

• toggpine
    replied

We use flax seeds from the feed store (better price). Flannel is our usual choice for the bags.
    You can also sew channels into the bag to keep the filling from shifting. (Make bag. Turn out, then sew the channels like top stitching.)
    I have made slippers using both cotton flannel and polyester fleece.
    As long as you only zap them for 30 to 60 seconds, you are pretty safe. We usually go for 30, shake up the filling and go for another 30. If I shimmy the seeds around, I seem to get a more even heating and haven't had any burnt issues.
    I have also added lavender in with the flax.

Leave a comment:

• cashs mom
    replied

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Idk, just don't use popcorn
    LOL. Okay that made me laugh!

I've made several and always used rice. Just make sure you don't leave them on the bed after you've heated them up. My dogs chewed mine open to get the rice and ate it. What a mess! Rice everywhere and dog's with upset tummies

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

Gloria used feed corn to fill hers. As for the tube socks, the elastic in the tops may pose a fire hazard since it is rubber or nylon or something not cotton.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X