Heavy duty sewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy duty sewing

I have a friend that wants to purchase a sewing machine but she wants one that will do a lot of fleece and vinal. She doesn't do clothes or quilts-just some heavy duty stuff. Any recommendations for a machine?
    Thank you.

Re: Heavy duty sewing

I've had Husqvarna's for years and they will sew thru practically anything. Real workhorses.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

I think a lot of members will say Juki. That's what I would get if I was doing heavy duty things.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

The straight stitch mechanical machines can power through thick stuff. Every manufacturer has a model such as this, Juki is just one of them.

Comment

Remember also, when topstitching on vinyl to use a Teflon foot. You can also put sticky notes or scotch tape on the bottom of the foot, or cover the vinyl with parchment, but you do have to figure something out.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Some domestic machines may sew through that stuff, but industrial ones will do it with ease and last much longer.
            If you want to try a domestic one anyway, get a used mechanical one. Make sure it's cheap [and ugly], so you won't dispair when it doesn't last.
            My Viking sews through a lot, but I don't do vinyl or leather, and I don't make him sweat very often. I'd hate to wear him out doing jobs that industrial machines are made for.
            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I also vote for Juki. I have the Juki 98TLQ and it's metal and mechanical and can sew through thick seams. Check Craigslist. I would think any sewing repair shop would be able to repair. No computer to mess with.
              Vonnie

Comment

The industrial Jukis are what most of the upholstery shops I've seen used.
                Patrice S

Comment

I have the Juki 2010Q and put it to the test on a neighbors project. She was making a wallet out of used firehose for her husband who is a fireman. It sewed thru seams of a couple layers of firehouse which is thick heavy stuff. The shop where I got it demonstrated it on a leather belt. It is a mechanical machine and only does straight stitch but works well. I Am sure others also would do as well.

Comment

Juki. The one I had could go through about anything. It was from their Exceed line.
                    Susan Davis
                    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                      Remember also, when topstitching on vinyl to use a Teflon foot. You can also put sticky notes or scotch tape on the bottom of the foot, or cover the vinyl with parchment, but you do have to figure something out.
                      Wonder if some DST might work...
                      Cindy

Comment

I vote Juki also.

Comment

Working...
                        X