Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LQS that sell online Love em or hate em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LQS that sell online Love em or hate em?

Seeing someone posted this question about sewing machine repair shops, I thought to discuss LQS's that sell online.
    One thing I noticed is that some are well organised, and others not so much.
    We have our favorites, M* being one of them, and I always check here first, but they are so popular, that they sell out of some things quickly, which I understand is just good business.

but the smaller ones, with slower sales are a good resource for those discontinued, or about to be, prints, patterns and kits. I have found some nice places to get my fix of those prints often sold out elsewhere. I bookmark them so I can return.

Now, there are going to be some that don't update their inventory, like one who will remain nameless until I see what happens. I found a kit that I really wanted, so I googled it, and found this shop. Because they had free shipping on orders over $50, and I was at $45, I also ordered some other things. They sent an email telling me they no longer have the kit I wanted, but they could substitute another kit, so I responded with other kits by the same maker I want, but don't have. She didn't have them either, so she will refund that part of my order. I realise I could have canceled the whole order, but I do like the added on things . . . so now the question is will they refund ALL of the oversold kit, or will they subtract shipping from my refund, now that my order is less than $50? If they refund all, they may make my list. If not, I will never consider them again.

I mean this isn't a bolt of fabric that can be lost or on the cutting table for another customer while someone is putting it in their online cart. It's a kit, folks. Often found on shelves to be seen by the register. I had to spend another hour to find another shop that had it. They are open until 3 today, so if I don't get an email from them today, I think I will get the item. They will make my list if I recieve it, and it's the only thing I ordered, so no guessing about a possible refund there.

One little shop has collections where she puts together co-ordinating prints and sells them in a nice package, or you can chose your own, and buy yardage or by the FQ . The LQS closest to me won't sell FQ's unless they are already cut. I was able to get enough of the fabric I needed, and the service was quick. They made my list.
    https://twistedtreefabric.com

So that's my rant/rave for today. Please share your stories or reviews on your online fabric shopping.
    Last edited by PrettyCurious; January 14, 2017, 11:50 AM.
    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Re: LQS that sell online Love em or hate em?

I find that there is good and poor service any way you shop. M* has consistently good service and because of this they get the bulk of my online business.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I live way out in the country, so I literally have no LQS. I have to do all my shopping on line. By frequently shopping I know which suppliers have a reliable on line database where everything is in stock, which are pretty accurate, and a few that are horribly inaccurate with what is in stock but their prices are so low that I put up with what I can get.

In not a single instance have I had the shop charge me shipping because my order fell below the the minimum free shipping charge because something I ordered was no longer in stock.

I also give the shop extra lee way if they are having a really good sale because I know it it possible the computers are trying to process multiple orders simultaneously.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I also live where there is no LQS, online ordering is a must . I have learned over time which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. I will be polite and not list the bad ones!
        sigpic

Comment

I agree Bubby, and M* gets the bulk of mine as well. Even other big online stores don't compare. There's one big one I dislike because they 'short' their precuts. They sell them in packs of 20 instead of the 40, so it's not a good deal at all. I don't know how they are popular.
          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
            I agree Bubby, and M* gets the bulk of mine as well. Even other big online stores don't compare. There's one big one I dislike because they 'short' their precuts. They sell them in packs of 20 instead of the 40, so it's not a good deal at all. I don't know how they are popular.
            M* gets the bulk of mine too. I try to buy locally, but sometimes they just don't have the selection. I do occasionally find what I am looking at a Beverly's or Jo Anns.

In reference to their short precuts, I like their patterns. They make them short to match their patterns. And it's very frustrating. There really is no savings, agreeing with you on that one.
            There are no perfect quilts, because I am a imperfect quilter.

Sharon :icon_hi:

Comment

Since I live within easy driving distance of Marshalls dry goods, I seldom buy on-line, other than hard to find notions.

Comment

I think the on line stores have made it possible for those of us who are rural to quilt. I used to spend a full day driving to and from town to find fabric . Of course, then I would over buy because I was there and I didn't know if I would get back. And, when I would start to sew and not have exactly what I needed, I would substitute and of course, didn't get the results that I truly wanted. I love M*, connecting threads has been very good to me as well. I sometimes feel a little misled with craftsy and fat quarter shop from their pictures, but all in all...I am thankful for on line shopping.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                  I used to spend a full day driving to and from town to find fabric . Of course, then I would over buy because I was there and I didn't know if I would get back.
                  And you never over-buy when online shopping???

Comment

Same here as many of you. Closest lqs is a couple of towns over so I do not shop there as much and their prices are not comparable to online stores for almost any fabric. Their notions are pretty close though. So I have no problem with buying notions there and it is where I got my machine so I can find all my accessories through them.

Comment

Being from Canada I have to watch the exchange rate and also the shipping rate. Having said that, I did buy fabric while I was away at retreat, the store was only about 20 minutes away. She had Christmas fabric for 50% off plus 15% for guild members, so I got 75% off. I even went back a second time for some heat and bond at 15% off. So it was well worth the trip for me.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

My LQS is quite small and has very limited inventory. I love the ladies there and I do try to buy a few things every now and then to support local business, but the bulk of my purchases are here at MSQC.
                        Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I haven't used a lot of the LQS that sell online but I have had good experiences with Rossville Quilts and GRS Creations and Fabrics.
                          Patrice S

Comment

Thousands of Bolts has good prices and quick shipping. EBay also has a few good sellers who often have a LQS but supplement with online sales. I have gotten really good deals on CW reproduction fabrics from Pat's Fat Quarters on EBay.
                            https://www.etsy.com/shop/FaintlyArtistic
                            https://www.pinterest.com/FaintlyArt...shed-projects/

Comment

Originally posted by Suzette View Post
                              My LQS is quite small and has very limited inventory. I love the ladies there and I do try to buy a few things every now and then to support local business, but the bulk of my purchases are here at MSQC.
                              This is my situation exactly. I can drive a ways to some other stores, but I usually have to go to multiple stores to find what I want. I like being able to get everything I need at once, even if I have to wait a few days for it to be shipped.

Comment

Working...
                              X