Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inches or cm?

Hiya,
    I was desperate to start quilting, so a friend bought me a cutting mat & rotary cutter for Christmas, problem is, the cutting mat is metric... I bought a metric ruler to match, but it's all driving me crazy.
    Is there an easy way to convert the Missouri quilt patterns from inches to cm & use the pre-cuts in the way they should be or should I just bit the bullet & buy a new mat & ruler in inches.
    I should add that maths is not my best subject!
    Gill

Re: inches or cm?

Originally posted by Gill View Post
    Hiya,
    I was desperate to start quilting, so a friend bought me a cutting mat & rotary cutter for Christmas, problem is, the cutting mat is metric... I bought a metric ruler to match, but it's all driving me crazy.
    Is there an easy way to convert the Missouri quilt patterns from inches to cm & use the pre-cuts in the way they should be or should I just bit the bullet & buy a new mat & ruler in inches.
    I should add that maths is not my best subject!
    Gill

Hi

I have a mat that is metric. But I have a rulers in inches. I do not use the lines on the mat. I measure with the ruler and it seems to work for me. I only use the lines on the cutting mat to have a straight line to square up with.

Hope this helps.

Annika
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Thanks, that would be the cheaper option especially as I rather fancy the 10inch square, the 2.5 inch little ruler, the huge long ruler...the list goes on!

Gill

Comment

I never use the lines on my mat for measuring or lining up. I depend solely on my rulers. My favorite is the 24" x 8.5".
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Oh...I've watched so many videos of Jenny using the mat to line up fabric I thought that was the way to go. Thanks

Comment

Oh...I've watched so many videos of Jenny using the mat to line up fabric I thought that was the way to go. Thanks
            I know she does it that way, but when I first took classes, they beat it into my brain not to do that, so I don't. I depend solely on my ruler. It's just personal choice and that is how I was taught and am used to doing it.
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I use my mat to measure too. It was a habit from using a box cutter for measuring paper for scrapbooking. How about using a fine marker and draw a line on the one inch marks?
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

You can always flip the mat over and use the back. I have been doing this for many years and it works just fine. I found myself using the lines and then had problems with my blocks not matching up very well. Flipping the mat solved the problem for me.
                :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

Excellent, how dumb i feel, that's much better, just need to get some 'inch' rulers, especially a square & pluck up courage to buy some 'new' fabric & take the plunge. Many thanks

Comment

You know, I had been using the lines on my mat for measuring and just recently switched to using them for squaring instead. The ruler is much more accurate. I think perhaps the lines are thicker and we don't always go to the same inside or outside of the line on the mat and that throws off the measurements somewhat.
                    I would suggest that you find a couple of spots on your mat that are not getting the most use and draw a good 10 inch square and a 5 inch square and use that when you want to do a quick check on your precuts.
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

You can check out youtube for any number of "how to cut fabric" tutorials, and they will show you how to use your rulers to cut with.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

I have an olfa mat and rulers and the lines line up in sync. I always use my mat for measurements as well as squaring up. I don't think any way is wrong as long as you re consistant.
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

Yes, i've seen a few, I thought it might be easier to start with pre-cuts but I got confused when my friend bought me the metric mat, so squaring up etc became complicated - converting inches to cm etc... thanks

Comment

Yes, i've watched quite a few but I got confused with converting inches to cm's. Thanks

Comment

I had a similar problem when I was a baker/pastry cook. I got some lovely books, but they called for European measurements. I didn't own a computer yet (not for 15 more years or more) to look up conversions. So I had to pour through more books. I love books, but not when you need it right now. lol

I just bought some measuring cups and spoons that have both on them. Where was that when I needed them!
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X