• Hulamoon
    replied
    Re: Sierpinski Triangle

Free quilt pattern

Leave a comment:

• Caroline T.
    replied

So now I know the answer to the age old question (from Geometry) "Why do we need to learn this stuff, It's not like we're going to actually ever use it!"

Who knew it would come in handy in our quilt designing? Wish I had paid more attention .....

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

I forgot to add .... isn't this one of those "you know you are a quilter when..." lines?

You know you're a quilter when your son's geometry homework looks like a good pattern for your next quilt!

Leave a comment:

• Deegles
    replied

I saved this link to my book marks to help me with the "geometry" in quilts.

Leave a comment:

• Snip Snip
    replied

I loved math, geometry and algebra, up until a college algebra professor used his (required) class to weed out "undesirables."

Leave a comment:

• PrettyCurious
    replied

I hated algebra and geometry. I love quilting. Now appearently I love geometry too.
    Now if only I paid more attention in school.

Leave a comment:

• bhaggerty
    replied

Yes! You guys are right! It is the mathematical application for fractals in his honors geometry class. He is in 10th grade, but there are even some 9th graders in his class! I am enjoying his geometry as it has amazing quilt design applications! If I only had more time!!

Leave a comment:

• Patty J
    replied

Oh happy day, now I have a question to try and stump DS,, my math major. He will be surprised that I learned this from a quilting forum. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

I never took algebra, moving got me out of it. I was terrible at homework help.

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

Snippet is right. It is a very simple form of a fractal and therefore used as a model to teach about fractals. Also as a geometric form it can be expressed mathematically. I remember this example used in matrix algebra.

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Honestly, why would you ever need to know that? What grade is this?
    I remember using them as the basis for generating fractals and other recursive-type models and games.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Honestly, why would you ever need to know that? What grade is this?

Leave a comment:

• bhaggerty
    started a topic Sierpinski Triangle

Sierpinski Triangle

My son asked for help with his geometry homework because it looks like a quilt...

It is called a Sierpinski triangle!! It reminds me of Angela Waters Midnight Quilt show Quilt but one stage farther!!

IMG_0233.jpg
Working...
X