Gifting a Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifting a Quilt

Sometimes we talk about our gifted quilts not being appreciated. Today was different for me!
    Back a couple of months ago I threw together a twin quilt with some orphan blocks and backed it with a heavy cotton. I didn't give it a border which it really needed and I didn't like the way it looked so I put it in a stack of quilts that would go to charity.
    A couple of months ago my dear hubby's uncle has started shopping at the grocery store where hubby works. (he doesn't have contact with his family) We found out his uncle is living in a house with no electricity or water and most of the windows are broken out of the house. The people in the other half of the duplex let him use an extension cord to run a small fridge, lamp and tv. At Christmas I wrapped that not very pretty quilt and told my hubby to take it to his uncle. Hubby was very apprehensive and asked was I sure I wanted to do that but I told him I was sure so he took the quilt over.
    Today hubby came home for lunch and handed me a piece of notebook paper that was folded and had my name written on the outside. When I opened it I started balling like a baby. I've never had anyone thank my so sweetly. Hubby said his uncle had actually apologized for not having better paper to write on which made me cry even more. Out of all the quilts I've made in 30 years the ugliest one meant the most to someone.
    note 001.jpg
    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Re: Gifting a Quilt

Originally posted by Carolnnc View Post
    . Out of all the quilts I've made in 30 years the ugliest one meant the most to someone.
    Every quilt will have a purpose. Whether it's used as a security blanket, a symbol of love, a work of art, or stuffed in a closet to be rediscovered by a relative or a buyer at a thrift store it will eventually become meaningful to someone. The joy of creating and giving and the sincere thank you that you received is touching.

That's why I believe there are no ugly quilts!

Comment

That's a beautiful story and memory for you.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

That's really sweet, but I was wondering why none of his family is helping him out. Made me sort of sad.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Now, I'm crying!

God bless you all and Uncle Mark!
          Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
          http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I also teared -up. Uncle Mark seems to be a person deserving of lots of help.
            "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
            Hillary Clinton

Comment

Please pass the tissues, crocodile tears streaming down my face.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                That's really sweet, but I was wondering why none of his family is helping him out. Made me sort of sad.
                I am going to try to answer your question without sounding judgemental or unkind. My husband comes from a family that is always looking for a hand out but not a hand up. Very early in our marriage his family members constantly had a problem or emergency that needed our money, vehicle, child care services or extra bedroom. Unfortunately they couldn't conceive of also taking our advice on how to improve their situation. We had to extricate ourselves from the family so that we could have a life and a marriage. As giving and tenderhearted people it was very hard for us but we have realized the wisdom of this decision and have no guilt.
                :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

I am going to try to answer your question without sounding judgemental or unkind. My husband comes from a family that is always looking for a hand out but not a hand up. Very early in our marriage his family members constantly had a problem or emergency that needed our money, vehicle, child care services or extra bedroom. Unfortunately they couldn't conceive of also taking our advice on how to improve their situation. We had to extricate ourselves from the family so that we could have a life and a marriage. As giving and tenderhearted people it was very hard for us but we have realized the wisdom of this decision and have no guilt.
                  And you shouldn't ever feel guilty. I'm a firm believer in helping those who need a boost up, and not enabling those who refuse to take steps to improve their situation. I commend your husband for rising above the example that it sounds like was set for him at a younger age. I suspect your love and encouragement had a great deal to do with that too!

Comment

No quilt is ever too ugly to be loved by someone.

Comment

Sorry to bring back a sore subject. It's just that my childhood family is all gone, so it made me sad. You did a wonderful thing.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Great gift!!
                        Happy Quilting!

Comment

That made me tear up. How nice for all of you.

Comment

This is prood positive that no ugly quilts exist. Every quilt made has someones love poured in it, no matter how much. This was big for your uncle. The best type of "handout"
                            Karen
                            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Carol, this is not an unusual story and I'm sure many of us come from some place like this. My youngest sister was a heroin addict and she lived off my mother. When my mother retired, I told her she could come live with me but she could not bring my sister. I refused to enable my sister even though I always loved her. sure, it put a strain on our relationship, but as you said, you must think of your own life and your own marriage. Enabling is not generosity.
                              However, giving the Uncle a warm quilt was a kind and giving thing. You would have done likewise for a stranger, so giving to those we know are in need is a wonderful thing. And, the best part, is that he had the good sense to thank you.
                              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X