Gee's Bend Quilts - In My Workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gee's Bend Quilts - In My Workplace

I manage the box office for a performing arts venue. We showcase visual art in the lobby on a rotating basis during the year. We just installed a selection of Gee's Bend Quilts. A photo of part of our upstairs lobby is attached. For a look at all of the quilts we are hosting, please see my album.

If you don't know about Gee's Bend, here's a link to their site:

http://www.soulsgrowndeep.org/gees-bend-quiltmakers

I'm not sure how I feel about these quilts. I would be interested in seeing how others react to them.
    Attached Files

Re: Gee's Bend Quilts - In My Workplace

Looks fantastic.
    :icon_wave:

Comment

Not my style, but interesting history

Comment

Very cool. They are like the first of modern quilts without knowing it.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

This is strictly my opinion: That said, Gee's Bend Quilts are not really any nicer or better than what 99.9% of quilter's make today. Most of us do not have the ansectoral history that they do. That does not make any of our quilts any less works of art. This includes a brand new quilter as well as someone who has been quilting for some years.
          Don't get me wrong, the women who made the Gee's Bend Quilts put a lot of heart and soul into them. But so do today's quilter.
          Again, this is just my opinion. Please don't anyone get offended.

Comment

I think they are fabulous. I've admired them for years and years. Lucky Duck you being able to see them up close! I think they definitely deserve a place in our quilt history.
            Last edited by Bubby; January 5, 2017, 03:35 PM.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

My first reaction to looking at the picture, was "How the heck are they going to keep everyone's grubby hands off those displayed quilts?" And then I see the lady in the background, handling the quilt and I cringed.....

But to answer your question!
              Some I Love, Some I like, some - well, not so much..... BUT.... I can always appreciate someone's efforts and talents.

Comment

Oh wow. I would love to see them in person. They are incredible pieces of folk art. I love what those quilters did with limited resources and a lot of imagination. I have been tempted to make a Gee's Bend inspired housetop duvet cover more than once.

Comment

I have admired the Gees Bend quilts for many years - since Alex Anderson was on TV. I was in Washington DC in 2006 and accidentally found out they were at the Corcoran Gallery and I got to see them. However we were strictly warned that we were not to take pictures because the gallery couldn't give permission for something they didn't own.

Rather than the quilt itself being what I admire, it is the complete picture - the history mostly, the whole story of Gees Bend not just the quilts/quilters, what we can learn. Someone came along a few years ago and tried to modernize their methods by wanting to mass produce them and someone else wanted to organize them into some sort of co-op and the outside people made a big mess of things and caused a lot of controversy even among the quilters. What a shame, but not surprising. I think we could all learn some lessons from the quilters. I like the history, story, etc of the Amish quilt/quilters also.

I was gifted a quilt kit of one of the designs which I have yet to finish. My friend knew how much I admired the quilts, and found the kit in a local-ish (150 miles) store.

Nancy
                  Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

I got to see these quilts in person when they were on display at the Milwaukee Art Museum a few years ago. I had heard so much about them that I couldn't wait for the exhibit. I was surprised and disappointed!!! I guess I was expecting them to be perfect examples of primitive quilts--which maybe they are. The seams all looked wonky and crooked on every single quilt and the stitches--the hand quilting-- for the most part were so BIG, longer stitches than basting even. The squares all looled very crooked too, I guess proof that they had no rulers or templates back when these were made. I am glad I saw them, for they are legendary now, and it gave me a renewed sense of appreciation for all the fancy tools and gadgets we have to use today.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                      I got to see these quilts in person when they were on display at the Milwaukee Art Museum a few years ago. I had heard so much about them that I couldn't wait for the exhibit. I was surprised and disappointed!!! I guess I was expecting them to be perfect examples of primitive quilts--which maybe they are. The seams all looked wonky and crooked on every single quilt and the stitches--the hand quilting-- for the most part were so BIG, longer stitches than basting even. The squares all looled very crooked too, I guess proof that they had no rulers or templates back when these were made. I am glad I saw them, for they are legendary now, and it gave me a renewed sense of appreciation for all the fancy tools and gadgets we have to use today.
                      These are current quilts. Some of the ladies will be with us on the 14th for a reception. This selection is for sale - all but one of them - and they are VERY expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                        My first reaction to looking at the picture, was "How the heck are they going to keep everyone's grubby hands off those displayed quilts?" And then I see the lady in the background, handling the quilt and I cringed.....

But to answer your question!
                        Some I Love, Some I like, some - well, not so much..... BUT.... I can always appreciate someone's efforts and talents.
                        I appreciate the culture, and I guess I appreciate the art. But, as a quilter...not so much. I don't think there is batting in most of them. If there IS batting, it is the thinnest I have ever experienced. They came to us in four or five big trash bags. There are hanging sleeves on very few of them. Mostly, we were told to use clothespins to display them. Which is sorta fitting, I guess. Someone mentioned that they didn't have tools "back in their day" like we do. My grandmothers made quilts by hand in the thirties, and theirs are square and tidy. Plus, these are not old quilts. All the out-of-square wonkiness makes me crazy. They are modern. I just don't "get" this approach. I am looking forward to meeting the quilters later this month, though.

Comment

I was lucky enough to see the Gee's Bend Quilts when they were here in Houston. The quilts and their story is just amazing. I ended up being so enthralled with them that I shelled out some $100 for the big coffee table book about them. Totally worth it.
                          Patrice S

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            Very cool. They are like the first of modern quilts without knowing it.
                            That they are. A few of the well known modern quilters have, are, and take inspiration from Gee's Bend.

Comment

About 10 years ago (maybe more) there was a Gees Bend show that came to Cleveland, and it was advertized on the radio. Back then I was not a quilter but I was intrigued. I can safely say that there was a calling for me to become a quilter back then and I thought about going to the show. In the end though I didn't go. Fast forword to after I became a quilter. I got into the blogs, etc. and along with that I jumped on the modern quilting movement as well. I came across another quilter from Ohio who is kind of well known in the modern community. She and her husband went to this same show and from this show is what inspired her to become a quilter. It was from her that I learned more about Gees Bend. Small world...right?!?!?! Anywho. The Bees Bend make do mentality reflects into their quilts and with that their quilts may not be appealing to some or most but they do and should hold a place in our history. I still have not seen a Gee's Bend quilt in person yet. Should of went to that show...lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X