Difference between Bella and Kona solids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between Bella and Kona solids

Any input into the difference between the Bella solids and the Kona cottons?

Re: Difference between Bella and Kona solids

Bella is softer. Sometimes I think Kona is scratchy.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I prefer Bella, but I have no issue using Kona

Comment

I am not 100% but find the Kona cottons from JoAnns are not quilt quality - thin enough you could read through them . . . in other words, not all Kona is created equal.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I have the panel of solids from Kona but I prefer Bella too. Softer.
          I am Sew Blessed!
          Alina

Comment

THANK YOU for asking this! I've been meaning to ask the same as I'd like to start building up some solid stash when I find a sale.

I know I've used both but while I'm using it I don't think to try to compare, and once it's put away it's hard to tell which is which when it's white or black, lol

I'm not sure how Kona at Joann would be different than anywhere else though - wouldn't they have to disclose that it was different?

Comment

I've heard on this forum during past 2 years that not all Kona is created equal (e.g., Kona at Joann's and former Hancock Fabrics).

The only Kona I have handled has been from chain stores like Joann's, so I can't attest to comparison to other Kona suppliers.

However, I prefer Bella! MUCH softer and not so thread bare.
              Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
              http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                I am not 100% but find the Kona cottons from JoAnns are not quilt quality - thin enough you could read through them . . . in other words, not all Kona is created equal.
                Sandy is correct. I have a box of old Kona scraps and some of them are so thick I can't imagine using them in a quilt much less applique.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

It could be that an employee rolled a piece of some cheaper cotton onto the Kona bolt thinking if it was the same thing.

I like that Kona feels more substantial than other quilt solids you can buy at big box fabric stores, but since I've ordered some Bella and Free Spirit designer solids, I like the soft feel of those more.

Comment

When I went to joann's for some white fabric, I put my hand behind one layer of every bolt they had, and one stood out. I couldn't see my fingers at all, and it felt very nice. I read the label and it said Kona. I bought it with a 50% off coupon.

I do have some Kona snow from M* and a quick comparison tells me that the Kona Snow from M* is softer. Both have the same invisable fingers, and once washed, the Joanns Kona white does become softer. The price difference isn't much. It's possible the color difference, makes fabric feel differently. Joanns only has Kona white. They don't have Kona snow, or optic white, or any other shade, just white.
                    M* carries [I think] 3 shades of Kona whites, and I prefer the snow. It's a softer white, and feels softer too.

I have Bella tan and Kona Flesh, both from M*, and honestly the Kona flesh is softer feeling than the Bella tan. Yes, I checked with both hands.
                    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Sometimes I will see bolts just marked "kona" at Joann's. It's not nearly as nice as the Kaufman Kona. I will only buy it if the bolts are marked as Kaufman Kona. I think it's a bit thicker than the Bella. I like both, but do tend to purchase the Kaufman Kona more often.

Comment

Working...
                      X