Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice for my new sewing place

Hello and a happy new year to everyone!

I am planing to entrust a carpenter to make a sewing table and shelf for my sewing place. My condo has 50 square meters and I am sewing in my living room. Now I am looking for ideas because this will be an expensive project and I will keep this furniture for decades. I would appreciate any hints and suggestions (maybe with fotos) ....how to store my rulers and templates and all the tiny sewing supplies.

Thank you so much !
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Re: Need advice for my new sewing place

I would love a custom made work table. A couple of my wish list items for my dream table would be:

1. Height appropriate, I would use it for cutting, so I would want the height to be comfortable for me, so I wouldn't be stooped over.

2. Shallow drawers, for storing all those little sewing things, such as pins, needles, scissors, thread. I would want them shallow so things wouldn't get buried and lost.

3. A pegboard wall at the end of the table to hang all my rulers and templates on. Easy to see and access. At the other end I would like to have a drop leaf extension (just in case I needed a little longer table for a bit).

4. a sturdy shelf under the table to store my backup sewing machine and embroidery machine on. I currently have them sitting on the floor under my existing table, and it's a pain to move them to sweep the floor. Or the shelf could be used to store plastic containers with your extra fabrics in them.

5. Table would also have locking rolling casters, so I could easily move it if necessary, but lock the wheels so it wouldn't move when I want it to be steady.

Make a list of what you think YOU would want in a table, and sit down with the carpenter to see what he thinks is practical and affordable for you. Don't be afraid to go "over the top" with your wishes, the carpenter may not agree with some of your ideas for building purposes, but if you have a lot of ideas, then he may have solutions that may be good compromises.

Good luck and I hope you get the table of your dreams.

Comment

Caroline what great ideas and advice you have. I'm with you and would love to have a custom built table. But for now I use a old desk and two fold up tables, but it works for me.
      Have a blessed day
      Pam[/I]
      [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Caroline what great ideas and advice you have. I'm with you and would love to have a custom built table. But for now I use a old desk and two fold up tables, but it works for me.
        Thanks, can you tell i've given this a lot of thought haha.

I recenter saw on Craigslist an ad for reclaimed bowling alley lanes. 2 inch thick 42 inch wide & 14 foot long pine planks with a polyurethane coating, and I thought "WOW that would make a beautiful table top" but alas even if it were cut in half length wise, don't know how I would get it home.

Comment

Since your space is limited, I would do an internet search for ready-made sewing cabinets, woodworking plans, DIY ideas and see what things you like and/or need. It will give you ideas that your carpenter may be able to incorporate into your plan. Jot down the things that appeal to you and make a list.

Just a few examples: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/412...FZOFaQod_K0PpA

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/sewing-table-plans

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/sewing-cabinet/

Comment

These boxes are available in different sizes to fit your storage needs. I use one to store machine feet and label them specific to the machine.

You can also use one to store packs of needles. It's easy to organize and see your supplies.

Storage Box.JPG

A double layer tackle box holds small items and sits next to my machine.

Comment

Ok don't mind the mess WIP You know! I have a great work station/ cutting table I inherited from my MIL also a Quilt. Well try to post photos--but they are of my Kindle which doesn't photograph that great. You will see the cabinet is waist high, has a drawer and 2 cupboards on one side, the back also opens with cabunet doors. The second drawer on the left is where the pull out ironing board is. I put Command hooks on the side to hold rulers. The cutting table top is 28x42. It is a few inches wider than my cutting mat, which is good bc I always have pins, scissors, rotary cutters and a scrap bin on my work table top, and those extra for inches gives me a space to put all those supplies (and a bendy desk lamp which isn't in the picture) w/o them taking up space on the cutting mat. The cabinet is on wheels, I don't think they lock but it is on carpet and I can roll it if I push and pull it hard enough, but it doesn't move at all when I am working at it. Good luck designing your space, have fun and I hope you get the work table of your dreams!

Comment

I don't have any other suggestions, but I'm glad I popped on this thread to see what others were saying.

Jocelyn, I love your goose pot! That is so cute.

Carolyn, if I ever get lucky enough to have a custom table built, I'm calling you first!
                Cindy

Comment

I had a desk I wasn't using and had my handyman cut a hole in the top and install a shelf using these plans: http://bluedinosaurs.com/diy-platform-sewing-table/

There is a picture in my album (can't figure out how to point to it !)

Comment

Working...
                  X