replied
    Re: Fabric storage

Mine are all over the floor. LOL!

Leave a comment:

• cashs mom
    replied

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Just a question since we're on the subject here. Anybody use clean empty pizza boxes? I assume you get them from a take out pizza place..but don't they still smell like pizza when you bring them home?? How do you deal with that?
    The problem with cardboard boxes is that they leach acid from the paper into the fabric and can discolor it over time. That's why there are acid free tissue paper for wrapping vintage clothing, etc. in.

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

I roll my large yardage pieces with adding machine tape and label the amount on the outside. These are stored by colors in large plastic totes. I have a few categories besides colors....i.e....baby, Christmas, etc. My precut are stored by types.....fq, jelly rolls, layer cakes, etc. My scraps are cut in useable squares and strips and sorted by color. It works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Squeaky
    replied

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
    Squeaky, another idea for your unfinished projects is: store them in the clear plastic zipper bags that sheets or curtains come in. You can keep all the pieces or parts together but still see them easily.
    I do that now with the large 2 gallon ziploc bags, but then the bags go in a bin and they are out of sight again... so I never work on them.

Leave a comment:

• Judy, USMC
    replied

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Just a question since we're on the subject here. Anybody use clean empty pizza boxes? I assume you get them from a take out pizza place..but don't they still smell like pizza when you bring them home?? How do you deal with that?
    I talked to the owner of a small local shop and bought unused ones.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I totally reorganized my sewing room last year. I bought all kinds of plastic containers & drawer units. You can view my sewing room in my albums. Basically, the fabric is organized by colors, pattern/theme (florals, Patriotic, children's, holiday, etc.) Specific projects are stored together, like Kaffe Fassett, batiks, etc. There's also fabric in the dresser drawers.

Leave a comment:

• cashs mom
    replied

I have shelves on the walls with plastic boxes with smaller cuts of fabric by color and also some by type like dog fabric and car fabric. I have yardage on hangers in the closet and some plastic boxes with collections of fabrics stored in those plastic zipper bags you get when you buy sheet sets and things. And then there are the wire baskets in a frame under one of my sewing tables. Yes, I have a stash. lol

Leave a comment:

• lourixe
    replied

I don't have a large stash. It fits in a dresser. 1 small drawer for solids (backgrounds). 1 small drawer for backings. (Those are the only fabrics I buy more than 1/2 yd at a time).1 small drawer for batting (I buy one piece at a time). 1 small drawer for interfacing, embroidery floss, handquilting thread.
    In the larger drawers things are sorted in shoe-sized Ikea cardboard boxes. I mostly have FQs or cuts under 1/2 yd. 1 box for Christmas themed fabric. 1 for neutrals (almost empty). 3 for colored prints. 3 for current projects: EnProvence, String Triangles, Gypsy Caravan. 1 box for 1 1/2" strips, 1 for 2" strips, 1 (overflowing) for 2 1/2" strips (all strips within boxes, rolled separatedly by color). 1 for 3 1/2" strips and charmpacks. I also keep a few pizza boxes for blocks waiting to be assembled and two larger containers for my evergrowing collection of "tops-waiting-to-be-quilted".

Leave a comment:

• Caroline T.
    replied

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
    Nearly all my yardage is stored in totes according to color in a section of Hubby's shop. Most pieces have the size of the piece pinned to the selvage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138446[/ATTACH]

My precuts are stored according to type of cut, also in totes, and right now those totes are in my living room. One stack sits in front of the window, so I made a cat trap for the top.
    It works like magic. Just place anywhere you want your cat to stick.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138445[/ATTACH]
    Love the cat trap!

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

I guess by now you have figured this out: when you are between projects your storage looks great and seems organized. But when you get into making something it can make quite a mess when you dig through it and start pulling out possible fabrics bc of course you won't use them all, but you keep looking for that one piece or one color you know is there someplace. Before you know it you have a giant mess on your hands. Tidying up is crucial--you know, that boring maintenance part!!

Most of my stash is charm packs that I arrange by color. I have one large bin that has opened and unopened jelly rolls in it. I tried ending them up one and putting them into bags, that didn't work for me. So I am resigned to having that one big messy bin. Oh well. I have one large stack of layer cakes on a shelf, and one large box of yardage all folded up. My stash is deliberately small except cp so I don't feel guilty buying new stuff for each project. I try not to have too much leftover. I have no holiday stash. And theme fabric I just have I Spy charm packs which I keep in a separate cabinet.

Leave a comment:

• Patty J
    replied

A friend from our church quilting group just bought a number of Christmas storage boxes and she is using them to store her UFOs so all the fabric needed for that project is in one place including the pattern. My sister and I have projects that we want to make in a big storage container in separate plastic bags, labeled on the outside as to what it is. It was a great start last year, but now Everything is so out of hand, I hate living in chaos, but I'm the one creating the mess, I find bargains at LQS and then I Just come home and put it in the closet. I need to get back in there and start sorting again. Getting it organized is my goal for 2017 and keeping it that way throughout the year.
    I sort by color and prints (flowers, dinosaurs, food, geometrics ect. () have their own storage container. Also pre cuts that I never used to buy have found a home at my house. Too pretty to use, but I'm going to make myself use them in 2017. Tomorrow I'm going to start organizing my stuff.

Leave a comment:

• lmanna
    replied

-My "yardage" is stored in plastic containers by color. I don't generally buy more than a 1/4 yard of a fabric I love unless it's for a specific project project so for me this really equates to anything that is too large to be considered a scrap.
    -My precuts are all stored in a single plastic container - I only have a few precuts so this method works best for me
    -My scrap strips are stored in plastic containers by color
    -My scrap squares are stored in plastic containers by size and then by color (1.5", 2", 2.5", 3.5", 5")
    -My selvages are stored in a single plastic container. Once the container is full I do something with them.

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Squeaky, another idea for your unfinished projects is: store them in the clear plastic zipper bags that sheets or curtains come in. You can keep all the pieces or parts together but still see them easily.

Leave a comment:

• Squeaky
    replied

I have my solids grouped together and my prints grouped together, but I store them differently based on whether I have > 1 yard or not.

From there, my prints get separated not by color but by preferred use: novelty prints, seasonal prints, blenders/background prints, and then "everything else".

Anything that isn't a quilting cotton goes in its own area (bag and clothing making mostly).

Precuts have their own area.

Scraps smaller than a FQ have bins that need to be sorted but are out of the way for now.

My storage "problem" lately is the overwhelming pile/bin/mess of things that I have started but not finished. Some are quilts, some are bags, some are just ideas that never really got moving. One idea I had was to get a set of sliding basket drawers where I could use one per project. I could pull the basket out and work on it then put it all back together (less chance of losing pieces) plus it would give me a clear visual of how many projects are in progress at any given time and maybe help me get through them because they aren't "out of sight, out of mind".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X