X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric storage

I wanted to know when you store your "stash"
    Do you store by Color? Prints? yardage?
    I have an antique dresser to store my treasures in.
    One drawer is jelly rolls/layer cakes/charm packs. Another drawer is fat quarters.
    Now I have yardage to store..

Thanks for input and photos.

Re: Fabric storage

I am working on organizing my yardage and scraps by color. May take a while to get it all organized though. Currently have put myself on a new fabric diet until I use up a minimum of 25% of stash. Hope I can do it.

Comment

I store my material in containers by seasons/holidays. Also have 2 containers for pre-cuts. Started off with two little baskets. Ha didn't take long for me to start buying larger containers.

Comment

I think it is the "Show and Tell" section that has a sticky with a bunch of our sewing room photos in it.

Mine are sorted by color. I have fat quarters stored in bins and then yardage in wire sliding bins. Then there is the rest that doesn't fit.....
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

My method seems to constantly evolve. But for now, any "collections"I bought, i.e. fat quarter bundles are kept together along with any coordinatin yardage in their own plastic box. All other misc fqs are in another container, by color.

2.5 strips I have special containers for.

I also have a couple of 6 inch boxes for misc charm squares, and another 12 inch box for misc 10 inch squares, and other misc scraps in yet another container, sorted by color. And anything 1/2 yard or bigger, folded and sorted by color in my plastic drawers.

Comment

I think it is the "Show and Tell" section that has a sticky with a bunch of our sewing room photos in it.

Mine are sorted by color. I have fat quarters stored in bins and then yardage in wire sliding bins. Then there is the rest that doesn't fit.....

Comment

Here is a picture of how I store my yardage and scraps. I have them both sorted by color. I fold yardage to fit the depth and width of the box so that when I open the box I can see all of the fabrics inside. Scraps are organized by color in ziploc bags.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/alb...chmentid=50882
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

My fabrics are in bins in this order:
                • fat quarters, sorted by color or collection;
                • jelly rolls and other precuts;
                • holiday fabrics;
                • batiks and homespun;
                • flannels;
                • fabric for designated projects (2 bins);
                • UFOs;
                • remaining fabrics sorted by color in 3 bins;
                • scraps in various small containers or boxes sorted by size.

I recently had the 'pleasure' of going through my stash several times in search of some misplaced flannel (which still hasn't been found!). During these searches, I decided that regardless of the color, I want to put all my large cuts of solids together. They were purchased for the specific use of being background fabric, and I think it will be easier to access them if they are all together. (In said search, I came across 5 yards of black fabric that I forgot I had!)

BTW - Like many others, I only purchase for my stash when I can get a really good deal on the fabric.
                If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I forgot to mention this.......like Sylvia I keep my solids together arranged by color in a separate box. Sometimes adding a solid or two with prints will help complete a quilt idea.
                  "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Comment

Sorry about the double post. Our phones/internet have been wonky all week. I hit "post" and it did a wierd thing on the screen and then disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                      Sorry about the double post. Our phones/internet have been wonky all week. I hit "post" and it did a wierd thing on the screen and then disappeared.
                      I have had that happen to me, too.
                      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I have my yardage prints sorted by color, and I have solids separate from that. I have fat quarters also sorted by color. My precuts (along with thread and rulers) are stored in various drawers in my rolling drawer unit from ikea thst i absolutely love.

Comment

Nearly all my yardage is stored in totes according to color in a section of Hubby's shop. Most pieces have the size of the piece pinned to the selvage.

20151026_181806.jpg

My precuts are stored according to type of cut, also in totes, and right now those totes are in my living room. One stack sits in front of the window, so I made a cat trap for the top.
                          It works like magic. Just place anywhere you want your cat to stick.

Cat_Trap.jpg
                          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I have my solids grouped together and my prints grouped together, but I store them differently based on whether I have > 1 yard or not.

From there, my prints get separated not by color but by preferred use: novelty prints, seasonal prints, blenders/background prints, and then "everything else".

Anything that isn't a quilting cotton goes in its own area (bag and clothing making mostly).

Precuts have their own area.

Scraps smaller than a FQ have bins that need to be sorted but are out of the way for now.

My storage "problem" lately is the overwhelming pile/bin/mess of things that I have started but not finished. Some are quilts, some are bags, some are just ideas that never really got moving. One idea I had was to get a set of sliding basket drawers where I could use one per project. I could pull the basket out and work on it then put it all back together (less chance of losing pieces) plus it would give me a clear visual of how many projects are in progress at any given time and maybe help me get through them because they aren't "out of sight, out of mind".

Comment

Squeaky, another idea for your unfinished projects is: store them in the clear plastic zipper bags that sheets or curtains come in. You can keep all the pieces or parts together but still see them easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X