OMNIGRID CUTTING MATS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMNIGRID CUTTING MATS

Is anyone aware whether Omnigrid makes different qualities of mats or are they all the same? I got a new one for Christmas but it sure seems thinner and more flimsy than my older one?

Re: OMNIGRID CUTTING MATS

I have about 3 different brands (dritz, fiscars omnigrid) in various sizes and can't tell a big difference in thickness.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

The ones that are being sold now, are all the same thickness. But I have to agree with you, they do seem to be a little thinner than my current mat (which is probably more than 10 years old), so it's possible that at some point in history they started to make the mats thinner.

I'd like to think they are making them thinner because the material quality has improved, so they don't need to be as thick. But more likely, they are making them thinner because the old ones lasted way too long and want us to need to replace them more often.

Comment

I am going to have to finally replace my mat on my cutting table. I have a OmniGrid and a translucent white one. The white one is probably 20 years old and 1/8" of an inch thick. It has really held up well. The OmniGrid one is thinner and seems to take cuts more readily than the older one.
        I'm mind of torn as to which kind I am going to get to replace the older one.
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I've gone through a number of Olfa mats. I must press too hard with my rotary cutter because they don't seem to be as "self-healing" as I expected. Anyway, I have recently purchased a Fiskar mat, and I like that it is little firmer and doesn't seem to show slice lines as readily. It's also a lighter color which is a nice contrast with darker fabrics. I'm happy that my cutting table is large enough to have both brands of 24"x36" mats side by side so that I have options.

Comment

I have 13 year old Olfa mats that are in amazing condition.

Comment

I have made two rotating cutting tables now, a 24" and a 14" [because I found a lazy susan for $3 at a thrift store] and I can tell you which ones were the hardest to cut through. Hubby used a band saw to do it.
              For the 24" table, I used Fiskars 24x36, which turns out to be the thinest. I already had the mat in use, so I replaced it with an Alvin 30x42 because my cutting table is 30 wide.
              The Alvin is a bit thicker than the Fiskars.
              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The US Art Supply one I bought for my 14" rotating table [because it came in pink] is the thickest of all!
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only just now did this compareson because of this post. Knowing what I know now, I would get another US Art Supply one in a minute!

14in_Rotating_Cutting_Mat.jpg

Fiskars_vs_USArtSupply.jpg
              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I just looked at the US Arts mat from the link PrettyCurious posted and the reviews for these look pretty good and the prices look great too. I think I'll get one of the smaller ones myself as I have a large Olfa mat (I like it just fine, but don't always need a large surface).

edited to fix product name - doh!

Comment

Thanks for your reply! My old cutting mat I have used since 1998 (wow). I think you are likely right in that they likely make them thinner now so they won't last as long. I have a Fiskars mat but I find it too hard and therefore hard on blades. I like the softer feel of the OMNIGRID.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I have never seen the pink ones before (maybe because I am in Canada) but I viewed the link you attached and the Art Supply ones seem to be very good! I think I will check and see if they will ship to Canada. May all your 1/4" seams be accurate for 2017! lol

Comment

Check out 'PrettyCurious' post regarding the pink cutting mats from Art Supply (she has a link there). They look like a good quality and I am going to check to see if they ship to Canada (probably not).

Comment

Mine is from 1998 and is ready for retirement although I could turn it over and use the back side as I don't use the grid much on the front. I was planning on cutting it up into smaller mats for use at quilt meetings and retreats as it is too large to haul around.

Comment

Originally posted by FOSSILFERN View Post
                          Mine is from 1998 and is ready for retirement although I could turn it over and use the back side as I don't use the grid much on the front. I was planning on cutting it up into smaller mats for use at quilt meetings and retreats as it is too large to haul around.
                          My original one from early 80s lasted a long, long time. When it stopped being useful as a cutting mat my kids took it over as a craft mat for school projects. I had it maybe 25 yrs?
                          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                          X