hoope size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hoope size

looking into buying an embroidery machine everyone says to get a hoop aleast 5x7 what is the biggest size you can get

Re: hoope size

This one says 18 1/2 '' x 11'' http://www.singerco.com/products/2280/xl-550-futura

I haven't seen one bigger than that.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I've got a 12x12 and never use it. I have a 140X220 Pfaff, which works. A square 5x5 which also works and a continuous that is indefinitely long. I just get too bored doing large designs. I do a lot of my own. I have software that will do applique and cutwork, so I can bring in my own artwork and use it.

5x7 is good. Some have 6x12. You also might want a square hoop like 6x6 or 8x8 if you are doing square motifs or embroidery. Having to set up an overly large hoop for a square seems to waste fabric and stabilizer at times.

I enjoyed the OESD lace Xmas ornaments that were out a couple of years ago. You did them on a washaway stabilizer. Until you started doing one, you didn't realize how time intensive one design can be.

My machine is the last of the old Pfaffs. I've seen errors and odd jumps from people using the machines at top speed and walking away.
      (I've had needles break) so I slow it down and stay in the same room, doing something else.

Comment

My largest one is 12'' too. I did get a square one ( forgot the size and it's too dark to get it out, lol) so I could cut down on stabilizer. I had to update my machine so it would except a new hoop. You Just do that with the USB stick.

added.. I use my biggest hoop to make ornaments. You can do multiples in one hoop instead of one at a time. So look into the software when shopping.

Here is a project where I got six items on one hooping.
        http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gro...hmentid=134210

I just the editing part in the software for my dd..
        Last edited by Hulamoon; December 27, 2016, 07:59 AM.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have a square 8" x 8" that I use a lot for doing wall hangings. I have an 8" x 14" that I have used on occasion but I think the hoop doesn't hold as well on the 14" side. If I'm doing something that large, I definitely follow the advice Alpha O gives - slow down and stay in the room! I would say the 8" x 8" is my favorite hoop. Even if I'm doing smaller items, I can put several in the hoop and do them quicker that way.
          Cindy

Comment

Do remember that when hoop size is said, it actually means the size of motif you can sew out. A huge hoop won't help on a machine designed for a 5x7 design.

Comment

You can split designs. I remember when 4x4 hoops were it. Someone figured out how to split and rehoop and did a whole jacket back with a gorgeous motif. It was a lot of work, but could be done. They had a website for doing this. I can still see the embroidery that was done in my mind. They used the first Brother.

I can imagine how long it took. I did one jacket back on a 6needle that had the large hoop. 4 colors and took almost 3 hours.

I have to split for 12x12 if not using a Pfaff design. You have to flip the hoop. I have Babylock Software that will split. I don't like doing it and mostly use it for jump stitches on the continuous hoop.

Comment

A variety of sizes is helpful to have. I would say a 5 x 7 would be the smallest to consider purchasing. It all depends on what you think you will be using the machine to embroider or quilt on. The larger hoops often end up wasting a lot of stabilizer. I try to salvage as much of mine as possible for smaller projects. The larger hoops are nice for quilting motifs but that requires a lot of repeated hooping.
                sigpic

Comment

The largest one I have is (guessing -cause I'm lazy and don't want to actually go to my sewing room and check) about 360x360 mm - what's the conversion?? AND I have NEVER used it. The biggest one I have on my machine is 200x360 mm - approximately 8x14 inches and I use it a whole lot!!
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

The largest I can use on my Babylock is 6x10 and it does limit what I can do sometimes.

Comment

I don't know how familiar you are with machine embroidery. But Vanessa - Crafty Gemini is starting a new video series on machine embroidery. She is starting with the very basics at the beginning and will go advanced as she goes through the series. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCraftyGemini

Comment

Working...
                      X