Looking for Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Ideas

One of my favorite gifts I received from my grandson. His art teacher took their art work and had it printed on fabric and made into a 10" square. My daughter purchased 2 of these for me and I'm looking for suggestions of what I could make with them. Also, does anyone have experience with something like this and know what type of material it is? It doesn't feel like any of the photo fabric that I've ever felt before - it has a label that says 100% cotton and it feels like a batik - sort of waxy and very tightly woven. Here's a pic of what I'm trying to describe. Both are identical. What would you do with them?
    IMG_1167.jpg
    Cindy

Re: Looking for Ideas

How cute! My first thought was pillows. You could add a border to make them bigger.

Comment

I was thinking pillows too, or frame them. Cute gift!
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I would frame them.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

How wonderful! You know, I'd just ask your daughter to find out about it from the teacher before gettng started. Depending on what you do with it, you might not want to risk it shrinking. And maybe even find out if you can purchase more in case something goes wrong or you want to make multiples. Sounds like the fabric was coated for printing, you might want to find out how that will be if you wash it and how color fast it is.

Something that immediately came to mind is combining your artwork with your grandson's. You could quilt a border design around it, then stretch it over a wood frame and hang it on the wall, and a matching one for him. Or maybe just a small lap quilt for cuddling up, one for your house and one for theirs.

Comment

I would have them framed.
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

How adorable!

When my youngest was in elementary school, they put their artwork on large, thin magnets. Still have a colorful T-Rex on the fridge!

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post

Something that immediately came to mind is combining your artwork with your grandson's. You could quilt a border design around it, then stretch it over a wood frame and hang it on the wall, and a matching one for him. Or maybe just a small lap quilt for cuddling up, one for your house and one for theirs.
              I like this idea!
              Vonnie

Comment

Frame them, they would look awesome on the wall and he would be so proud!!!

Comment

My daughter has been buying something similar with DG art since kindergarten from the school and she gives me a few each year. I am starting to get a rather tall stack. I am going to make her a quilt with them. Do you think this is going to be a yearly gift ? If so you might could save them up and make a quilt with them. I also like the idea of having them framed. BTW I love his art work

Comment

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
                    you might not want to risk it shrinking. And maybe even find out if you can purchase more in case something goes wrong or you want to make multiples. Sounds like the fabric was coated for printing, you might want to find out how that will be if you wash it and how color fast it is.
                    This is what I am not sure about. DD is off for a week visiting the other side of the family, so I can try to get something out of her when she returns. Yesterday, she didn't know anything about it - just that it said quilting! I obviously didn't raise her right!
                    Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by TMP View Post
                      I am starting to get a rather tall stack. I am going to make her a quilt with them. Do you think this is going to be a yearly gift ? If so you might could save them up and make a quilt with them. I also like the idea of having them framed. BTW I love his art work
                      Thanks for mentioning this - I hadn't thought about this being a yearly thing. I would hate to do something with these two and then find out there will be more that I could use for something like a quilt. I think I'll frame one for now so he can see it hanging up and store the other until I get some more info.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
                      Cindy

Comment

My grandson gave me a set of 2 that I made into small wallhangings one for him and one for me. He sees it all the time when he comes to sew at my house. He even looks for it and says that he is happy I made something out of them. I put a small 1 inch white border and then a red polka dot border about 3 inches wide. It was small enough that I didn't think it needed any quilting. I don't remember if I got directions for care, but the teacher told my son I could use it for quilting.

Comment

Originally posted by TMP View Post
                          My daughter has been buying something similar with DG art since kindergarten from the school and she gives me a few each year. I am starting to get a rather tall stack. I am going to make her a quilt with them. Do you think this is going to be a yearly gift ? If so you might could save them up and make a quilt with them. I also like the idea of having them framed. BTW I love his art work
                          I don't understand this. If it is your grandchild making this At school in an art class, doesn't it belong to him. Why would you have to buy it? My GDs haven't started school yet, so this is new to me. How much so you have to pay for them?

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                            I don't understand this. If it is your grandchild making this At school in an art class, doesn't it belong to him. Why would you have to buy it? My GDs haven't started school yet, so this is new to me. How much so you have to pay for them?
                            I think it's like school pictures. The picture belongs to them, but you have to pay for the service. When my dd's were in high school the photographer was asking so much for the yearbook that I took them on my own. I took about 50 pics . They came out beautiful if I say so myself

edit- you can take the drawing to Spoonflower and do it yourself, but the school is probably doing themselves or sending it out for a small fee.
                            Last edited by Hulamoon; December 26, 2016, 05:43 PM.
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                              He has the original artwork. My DD paid to have the 10 x 10 fabric print made up. When she gets back from her trip, I'll ask her about the cost of the print and if it's something they do every year.
                              Cindy

Comment

Working...
                              X