Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First $ quilt

20161220_152455.jpg
    i made this for a coworker who's niece is having a girl in January. Not only did she ask me to make it but she offerd to pay me! Feeling very proud not vain,just proud. She loved it and did not bat an eye when I asked for 30.00. I had batting and some of the fabric on hand and quilting is SITD so i thought it was fair.
    Just had to share.
    Last edited by K. McEuen; December 21, 2016, 09:10 PM.
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Re: First $ quilt

Very pretty. Congrats on your first commissioned quilt.

Comment

Congratulations. Your co-worker got a real bargain. The quilt is beautiful.

Comment

It's beautiful, and your coworker got a steal!

Comment

She probably didn't bat an eye!! Next time she wants a beautiful quilt like that, tell her it's at least $100.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
            She probably didn't bat an eye!! Next time she wants a beautiful quilt like that, tell her it's at least $100.
            Absolutely! Your quilt is gorgeous.
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

really nice, thanks for sharing

Comment

It's a pretty quilt. And congratulations on your sale. I remember my first sale and how excited I was that someone would want to by one. But they are right in saying it should be at least $100. more. But I also know that is hard to do. : )
                :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

It is beautiful and don't underestimate your worth or work.
                  Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Congratulations! Beautiful work
                    I do agree with the others, your coworker got quite a bargain. BUT... I also have no problem charging a lower price for someone I know/care about, as opposed to a stranger. If it were someone I did not know, I would charge more.

Comment

You basically gave that to your friend as a gift. Remember that your time is valuable. I would have charged $75-$100 for it. It turned out so pretty.
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

That's a great quilt. I agree with the others - $100 for a baby quilt.
                        Cindy

Comment

That is really cute; I love the hearts. I am agreeing with the other posters who said it was a real bargain. But I did the same thing, for my yoga instructor, who gives us free lessons. I just charged her for materials for two lap quilts she wanted to give to her grand daughters.
                          But we, you and I, and other quilters who would discount our own time and talent, we must recognize that our skills have value. And not be afraid to try to get a fair return if we sell something.
                          A favor for a friend is a different thing, though, and quite OK. (As long as friends don't start taking advantage of our generosity.)

Comment

I remember my first quilt sale...I was on a high for weeks...but everyone is right...don't undervalue your work. I think 5-6 cents per sq. inch is about right if you buy good quality fabric, batting and backing and quilt it and bind it. Eventually your skills will demand more money but right now, if you feel like doing it for fun...have at it. I only sell quilts so I can have enough money for the charity work quilts that I give away. It balances out.
                            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                            Terry

Comment

really cute, I love the bows on the border. Keep quilting and making money!

Comment

Working...
                              X