Advice on Irons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Irons

I have made 5 quilts, but I have found that yes, material makes a difference...spend the extra money on good material. Also, that the sewing machine makes a difference. Buy a brand that people trust. Also, thread makes a difference....buy a good quality thread. So now I am wondering if irons make a difference. I have a $20 iron I bought at Wal-mart but see irons at the fabric stores for much more. Do irons too make a difference? And if so, what are the most loved ones. How much should I spend on a good iron. What does my money buy? Thank you!

Re: Advice on Irons

I have a Panasonic Cordless. I love it! It was the best investment ever. No more tangled cords in my way and getting ironed over, or messing up the fabric I was about to press.
    This is the one I have. It is 3 years old now and still going strong!
    https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NI-...+cordless+iron
    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'm like April - I have the Panasonic cordless - all irons should have been cordless (Grandma had something going for her).

However, I really like an iron that gets a bit hotter. The best iron I ever had was a $3 Black and Decker from a thrift store.

For travel I really love my little SteamFast - they run about $25 and are fantastic to have right at the sewing area.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I also have the panasonic cordless and love the fact that you can also set it upright if you need to move fabric. Some cordless (the ones where you iron frontwards or backwards) have to be placed back in cradle if you have to reposition fabric. Also the fact the water tank pops off and super easy to fill, even in a small sink.

Comment

I just bought an inexpensive ($35) T-Fal steam iron at WalMart and so far I love it. It uses tap water and a little rod collects the hard water deposits if you have any.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have the cordless too, but I like my Sunbeam for the bigger surface and how hot it gets. So I use them for different reasons.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have a 15 year old Black and Decker, still going strong and doing a great job. No way will I spend my fabric money on a high-priced iron with all the gimmicks. They don't iron a bit better.

Comment

Love my Panasonic cordless iron. I will never go back to a corded iron again.
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I have an inexpensive sunbeam (like $20 or less type) and I love it. I bought it because it has 30 min before auto shut off. Most (inexpensive) irons I found locally were more like 10 mins before auto shut off.

I am considering one of the Panasonic Cordless irons to use when ironing large backings, completed tops and so on. After reading this thread, if I do spring for a cordless it would be like the one linked above. Lots of helpful info in this topic thanks for sharing. I would probably still use the sunbeam for most ironing. But not having to do the "cord dance shuffle" when ironing large items would be nice.

Comment

I am just replacing my 4 year old Oliso that has sprung a leak unfortunately, with a Rowenta Eco Iron. I also have a Panasonic cordless, but find there is a use for a heavier iron like the Oliso.

Comment

I like my Black and Decker from Walmart . I agree with Shirley more money then to spend on fabric.

Comment

I have irons from both ends of the price spectrum and I find that inexpensive is good for me as long as it steams without spurting and leaking and it has a long cord. My new T-Fal is nice and cost about $35 at WalMart. I have a Rowenta Professional that's quite heavy and a nice iron. For many years I used a Panasonic with retractable cord and loved it....it died a few weeks ago.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have used a $20 iron since I started sewing (almost two years now!) and it seemed to work fine to me. Then I was at my BF's house and tried her very expensive separate tank iron and OMG! what a difference! I didn't have to press down with the iron and the steam SHOT out in a great big whoosh and it only took a second to iron something! It was very impressive. Also a little overwhelming.

I happen to know that my dog Teddy, (with the help of my DH) took advantage of the 40% off sale at OLISO a few weeks back and there is a new, OLISO iron under the tree with my name on it from Teddy! I never thought I would get excited about an iron but I am so excited and I can't wait to use it!

Jeannette

Comment

Thanks, everybody! It seems like that Panasonic Cordless gets a lot of votes, but I didn't hear too much in the way of "you need to spend $100 on an iron". This is such a useful forum. People are quick to answer and offer advice based on their experience. It's so helpful!

Comment

Is your $20 iron working for you? Does it get the wrinkles out with the first pass? Do you use steam? There are great quality irons out there, but if your iron is working....

The big names in irons are Rowenta and Oliso. Being a one iron Rowenta owner, I am satisfied with mine and bought it at a huge discount at Tuesday morning. If you do get these irons, becareful about purchasing in the big box stores. Most of those irons are made in mexico or china and the quality is poor. If you find a Rowenta you like make sure it is made in Germany. If you find an iron you like, before you purchase it, make sure it has good reviews. Common problems are the water tank leaking. My rowenta's skid plate take the weight of my heavy iron and allows it to glide effortlessly on the fabric. I will be sad when I have to replace it as it is on it's last leg. When an iron falls off the ironing board 3 times and still works with a big crack, you know you have a good iron. It is the longest non-leaking iron I have ever owned at 10 years now.
                              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X